SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SANDRA DAY O'CONNOR RESIGNS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: SANDRA DAY O'CONNOR RESIGNS Reply with quote

Just Announced!!
President will speak at 11:15.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)

Last edited by shawa on Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard it also and received an FNC News Alert. Now, I guess we'll see what battles ensues over Bush's appointments for a replacement.

Too bad it wasn't one (or more) of the Liberals who are destroying our constitution.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura Ingraham was just talking about Bush replacing O'Connor with
JANICE ROGERS BROWN.

The Senate has already confirmed her to thr Appeals Court. The Dems agreed not to filibuster judicial appointments except under an 'extreme circumstance'. How can they claim an extreme circumstance in the case of Brown if they just approved her confirmation a few weeks ago.

Brilliant idea!!! Announce her nomination today, Mr. President!!
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Supreme Court Justice O'Connor retiring Reply with quote

BREAKING NEWS
Updated: 10:47 a.m. ET July 1, 2005

Supreme Court Justice O'Connor retiring
First female member of court; key swing vote on abortion, death penalty

WASHINGTON - Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, the first woman appointed to the Supreme Court and a key swing vote on issues such as abortion and the death penalty, said Friday she is retiring. President Bush later announced he would speak about O'Connor's retirement at 11:15 a.m. ET.

O’Connor, 75, said she will leave before the start of the court’s next term in October, or when the Senate confirms her successor. There was no immediate word from the White House on who might be nominated to replace O’Connor.

It’s been 11 years since the last opening on the court, one of the longest uninterrupted stretches in history. O’Connor’s decision gives Bush his first opportunity to appoint a justice.
Story continues below ↓ advertisement

“This is to inform you of my decision to retire from my position as an associate justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, effective upon the nomination and confirmation of my successor. It has been a great privilege indeed to have served as a member of the court for 24 terms. I will leave it with enormous respect for the integrity of the court and its role under our constitutional structure.”

The White House has refused to comment on any possible nominees, or whether Bush would name a woman to succeed O’Connor. Her departure leaves Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg as the only other woman among the current justices.

Court watchers had expected a Supreme Court vacancy during Bush's second term. There was talk that O'Connor and Justice John Paul Stevens, 85, might consider stepping down. And Chief Justice William Rehnquist, 80, has cancer.

Frist: Names floated
On Tuesday, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist said he's been talking to Democratic leader Harry Reid about nominees for a potential vacancy on the Supreme Court but doesn't have any inside information on whom President Bush might nominate.

"Have Senator Reid and I talked about individual names? Yes, we have in the privacy of our regular meetings," Frist said in a speech at the Heritage Foundation. He wouldn't say whom he and Reid had discussed or characterize their chances in front of the Senate.

Reid later offered three names of people he said would be good for the court: GOP Sens. Mel Martinez of Florida, Mike DeWine of Ohio and Mike Crapo of Idaho. They "are people who serve in the Senate now who are Republicans who I think would be outstanding Supreme Court members," Reid said.

Reid also said that in a conversation with the justices last week, they said that "they thought what would be a good idea is to start calling people from outside the judicial system."

"I think that's something that we should listen to. And I've conveyed this to anyone that will listen," Reid said.

Fourteen senators have served on the Supreme Court. The revolving door has turned the other way only once: David Davis resigned from the court in 1877 to represent Illinois in the Senate as an independent.

Bush has 'reached out'
Democrats sent a letter to the White House last week asking for Bush to consult with them on making a Supreme Court pick. "To this stage, there hasn't been much. But I'm confident there will be," Reid said.

Frist said the White House has already started.

"I think the president and the administration have reached out to solicit names and solicit ideas," Frist said. "I don't want to speak for the administration, but I know that's being done. They are reaching out for suggestions."
Story continues below ↓ advertisement

Frist said that senators are still negotiating on exactly how a Supreme Court confirmation process would go, since more than half of the current senators were not there for the last confirmation.

Fifty-six senators, including nine members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, were not in the Senate when Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer was confirmed in July 1994.

"So, we're spending a lot of time at the senator level and at the staff level looking at the different phases of the nomination process," said Frist, who also wasn't around for the last Supreme Court nomination.

Frist called upon Democrats to not filibuster judicial nominees. "Senators should treat every nominee with dignity and respect and give them the courtesy of an up-or-down vote. And that includes any potential Supreme Court nominee should there be a vacancy," Frist said.

Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, called on Bush to pick a consensus candidate if a vacancy comes open. "Americans want to be brought together around this decision, but Bill Frist wants to divide our country to serve his own political goals," she said.

Swing vote legacy
O’Connor leaves with a reputation as a "swing voter" on the bench.

Her appointment in 1981 by President Ronald Reagan, quickly confirmed by the Senate, ended 191 years of male exclusivity on the high court.

She wasted little time building a reputation as a hard-working moderate conservative who emerged as a crucial power broker on the nine-member court.

O’Connor often lines up with the court’s conservative bloc, as she did in 2000 when the court voted to stop Florida presidential ballot recounts sought by Al Gore, and effectively called the election for President Bush.

As a “swing voter,” however, O’Connor sometimes votes with more liberal colleagues.

Perhaps the best example of her influence is the court’s evolving stance on abortion. She distanced herself both from her three most conservative colleagues, who say there is no constitutional underpinning for a right to abortion, and from more liberal justices for whom the right is a given.

MSNbc
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Frist better be prepared to bust a Filibuster. No caving this time or it is all over.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
Mr. Frist better be prepared to bust a Filibuster. No caving this time or it is all over.

YES! And McCain better stay out of this one too. We do not need anymore Republicans bowing down in the thrown rooms of lib dems. Mad
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just listening to Rush.
He agrees: nominate Janice Rogers Brown AND DO IT THIS AFTERNOON!!
Army_(Ret)
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
I'm just listening to Rush.
He agrees: nominate Janice Rogers Brown AND DO IT THIS AFTERNOON!!

This is all thats going to be on the news media for the weekend, every angle, prediction, speculation, best/worst case scenario...........everything about her replacement will be discussed. I've already heard all about "filibuster" and this news is just minutes old. This is a very good reason to get out of the house this weekend.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the President will nominate a Catholic Hispanic woman to the SC. This would turn the Democrats into a tail spin as they try to cope with bashing the nominee while telling the growing Hispanic population it is for there own good.

The attacks on Condi damaged their credibility greatly.

This President knows "Deeds" speak louder than words when working to break down the barrier of Color.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomSgt wrote:
I believe the President will nominate a Catholic Hispanic woman to the SC. ...This President knows "Deeds" speak louder than words when working to break down the barrier of Color.

Cool Cool Cool

PS
as a backup, we could nominate RINO Martinez.....kill 2 birds with one stone...then Jeb could get a Republican Senator to fill in.....Cool

Deuce
AF ROTC PSU '64
Cam Ranh '70-'71
Armybrat/Armymom
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Judge Roy Moore (Ten Commandments) should be on the list. We went to hear him speak Wednesday night in New Braunfels, Texas and he knows his stuff.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we should replay this old cartoon from two years ago. Very Happy It's a bit racist but better now before the hacks find it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: