SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Karl Rove nails the anti-victory neurosis of the Left

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Karl Rove nails the anti-victory neurosis of the Left Reply with quote

long read, but this writer hits it
Link
Quote:
The Newsroom Iconoclast

Karl Rove nails the anti-victory neurosis of the Left

Sunday, July 3, 2005
By Michael Bowers, Star columnist

Col. Charles Beckwith, founder of the Delta Force, tells a story about White House planning in April 1980 for the mission to rescue our 53 hostages in Tehran. Beckwith had visited the White House Situation Room to brief President Carter.

In the meeting, according to one writer, "Charlie mentioned that his Delta shooters would 'take out' the hostage guards.

"Deputy Secretary of State Warren Christopher looked over at Charlie, eyebrows raised. 'Take them out,' Colonel?"

Beckwith replied: "Yes, Mister Deputy Secretary. We're going to double-tap 'em. Shoot 'em each in the head — twice."

Christopher protested: "Couldn't you just shoot them in the shoulder or something?"

And liberals wonder why conservatives consider them weak.

Now, before you accuse me of painting with a broad brush, let me say many Democrats do not seek a weak America. For example, Joe Lieberman does not. Zell Miller does not. Sam Nunn does not. John F. Kennedy did not. Alive today, he'd be a hawk.

However, it is eminently fair to say that virtually all those bound to a weak America also are bound to the Democratic Party.

Karl Rove was 100 percent accurate with his June 22 comments: "Conservatives saw the savagery of 9-11 in the attacks and prepared for war; liberals saw the savagery of the 9-11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers."

Liberals are livid, mainly because, secretly, they know Rove has them nailed. Their party in the past 60 years has a rich history of appeasement, defeatism, naivete, fear and weakness.

Liberals simply have not got the will to kill our mortal enemies. They just want to shoot them in the shoulder.

Consider two moments from the century that was: Yalta 1945 and Vietnam 1968-74.

* At Yalta, President Roosevelt gave away Eastern Europe to Stalin. At the time, our side had had nearly three decades to size up the evil of the Soviet Union. It was, after all, the nation that murdered 5,000 officers — the cream of Poland's military — at Katyn Forest in 1940.

And yet, as Roosevelt told a confidante: "I think that if I give (Stalin) everything I possibly can without demanding anything in return, then, noblesse oblige, he will not attempt to annex anything and will work to build a peaceful and democratic world."

FDR was wrong. For millions of Eastern Europeans, his assessment meant oppression. For thousands, it meant death. For example, ask Peter Fechter, the young German who tried to escape East Berlin in August 1962.

Ah, but wait — you cannot ask poor Mr. Fechter. Shot by East German border guards, he slowly bled to death in no man's land at the Berlin Wall.

American troops heard his cries but dared not rescue him lest they be shot themselves. Fechter was 18. Today, he would be 61. His corpse is Roosevelt's legacy. His corpse, plus the corpses of 1,064 others — and all these at the Berlin Wall alone.

* Now, Vietnam. In a book on the war, Col. Harry Summers recounts an incident from the 1974 Paris peace talks. Summers told Col. Tu of the North Vietnamese army, "You know, you never beat us on the battlefield."

Col. Tu replied, "That may be so, but it is also irrelevant."

Indeed it was. The communists did not have to win on the ground. They had to win on the TV screens of America's living rooms.

Doing so, they benefited immensely from the collaboration of America's reporters. The most egregious example is how our press magically transformed the Tet Offensive from a great defeat for the communists (which it was) into a great defeat for the Americans (which it was not).

Reporters were shocked that a handful of Viet Cong were able to take a cab to the U.S. Embassy in Saigon, blow their way into the compound and kill a few U.S. soldiers.

Indeed, this was disturbing. But in the big picture, it counted for virtually nothing. The Tet Offensive was a disaster for the North. The Viet Cong were wiped out: 50,000 dead. The communists were left to fight with only their uniformed troops.

But why would a reporter bother with such mundane analysis when he can embark on the sexy task of doomsaying? Walter Cronkite made his famous report declaring the war lost — and what do you know, overnight, the war was lost.

.............................................******

Nothing changes. Thirty-seven years later, we may lose the Iraq war because of the protests of America's victory-haters.

Again, my caveat: Many Democrats are not weak Americans. But nearly all weak Americans are Democrats.

Therefore, I think I am entitled to say that when it comes to national security, the Democrats are the party that harbors the timid and the self-handcuffed.

You could say they are the party of Atticus Finch, the heroic lawyer but misguided father in "To Kill a Mockingbird," who told his brave daughter Scout, "I forbid you to fight."

Likewise, Democrats forbid America to fight. For 70 years, they refused to take communism seriously. Now, they refuse to take terrorism seriously. They simply cannot believe our enemies mean us harm.

Thank God, George W. Bush knows better.

At the White House in 1980, a shocked Warren Christopher asked: "You mean you're really going to shoot to kill? You really are?"

Yes, we really are. And for some Americans, it's time to grow a spine.

wonder if that story about Warren Christopher is true.. Confused

writer has some great lines...
Liberals simply have not got the will to kill our mortal enemies. They just want to shoot them in the shoulder.

coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you Kate for the worth while read.

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo!
The word defeatism fits nicely, kinda like self-loathing Idea
Jarhead
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Kate! The Dems have been on the wrong side of history for the last 60 years.

"I am a bold Internationalist, I will only disperse American troups around the world at the discretion of the United Nations" - John Kerry

$UCK THE CORRUPT UNITED NATIONS - I am a Jarhead and I approve this message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: