SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is the Gandhi of Islam?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Where is the Gandhi of Islam? Reply with quote

By Charles Moore
(Filed: 09/07/2005)

"Yes, there was a Blitz spirit. As we waited in large crowds for a train out of London on Thursday afternoon, everyone was peaceful, cooperative, calm and slightly more jokey than usual. A woman near me in the carriage was talking on her mobile phone: "There's nothing left for them to bomb," she said cheerfully. "You'll find the sausage rolls at the bottom of the fridge."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2005/07/09/do09.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2005/07/09/ixopinion.html
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several Muslims have indeed stood up and condemned the terrorist acts. However, it takes some searching on the internet to find it. Our leftstream media chooses to ignore those that oppose terrorist acts. Yesterday, even Al Jazeera printed condemnations of the London bombings from several Muslim countries, even from Hamas. Yet, I saw no mention anywhere in American leftstream media.

Individually, several thousand American Muslims are currently serving in our Armed Services and they too go ignored by the media.

We ask Muslims to stand against the outrage of those who are hijacking their religion, but our own media won't give them air time, in essence silencing their outcry. And still, we make the demands on the Muslims, not the media.

I imagine that if the ourtrage of the Muslim community were made public, the media might have to admit that we are indeed winning the war on terror in Iraq.
Mariah
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are these Muslims who are against terror?

The Free Muslims Against Terror sponsored a march in Washington against terror recently and only 50 people showed up and not all of them were Muslims. The event received lots of coverage and Muslims who wanted to take a stand against terrorism had an opportunity to show up publicly in the US and make a stand. Yet only 50 people bothered to show up. In contrast thousands of Muslims marched worldwide when the French banned headscarves. It's time to quit making excuses for Muslims.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mariah, I will grant you that the Muslim community could do more. However, a simple web search will show you that many have spoken against terrorism as well as the US Military has always, since the Revolutionary war, had Muslims fighting alongside the others.

Muslims, as well as Jews, Catholics, Atheists, Protestant Christians, most every religion, have fought for our freedoms.

But, I'll ask again. If Al Jazeera, a decidedly anti-western media source, saw fit to print the condemnations coming from several Muslim nations, why did our media not?

The condemnations are there. If our own media saw fit to print them, maybe it would incourage others to join in as well.

My guess is that many Muslims currently are afraid to come out more in the public. Why? We Christians can't wait to attack them and the terrorist among them also can't wait. You complain that only 50 showed up. To me, that's a great deal better than none showing up or 50 strapping on suicide bombs.

Try giving a little credit where credit is due, you might find out that many of the very people you seem to hate are actually on your side in this.
Mariah
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terror attacks are always codemned by governments in the Middle East except of course when the victims are Isrealis.We know the government of Saddam Hussein also codemned the attacks of 9/11, but that government was not sincere.I think actions are important not just words.

I'm not at all impressed by the pitiful turnout for the Muslim march against terror.When thousands of Muslims march worldwide over headscarves and korans I think it says a lot when only 50 show up to march against terrorism. I will take my hat off to the "Free Muslims Against Terror" who had the courage to organize the march.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some more condemnations and a look at American Muslims in our own Military;

http://www.patrioticapaam.org/

American Muslim Against Terror

Don't forget, there are thousands of Iraqi Muslims currently dying fighting these terrorist as well as several thousand more in Afghanistan fighting the Taliban terrorists.

Let me state again, wholesale bashing of any legal religion will result in this thread being locked. All of Islam is not all Terrorist any more than all Christians are Ku Klux Klan.
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mariah wrote:
Where are these Muslims who are against terror?

I found one!!

SBD
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be a true martyr is a act of supreme non violence...... so it was for Jesus and many others.

Bellow is a short bio of one of the last great Muslim leaders. When I first learned who he was I did a extensive search for his Autobiography and had no luck finding it for sale

I recall the title was: 'My Life and struggle'
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0006CXOWS/qid=1120908529/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/002-7290223-8724854?v=glance&s=books

Currently unavailable

Abdul Ghaffar Khan
born 1890, Utmanzai, India
died Jan. 20, 1988, Peshawar, Pak.

http://www.afghanan.net/biographies/bachakhan.htm

http://www.peacemakersguide.org/articles/peacemakers/Badshah-Khan.htm

Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan
Heather Woolston

Born into a tribe where family honor must be preserved at all cost and vengeful blood feuds tore families apart, Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan turned his people, the Pathans (or Pashtuns), into an army of nonviolent soldiers. Badshah Khan, as he was known, served his people intensely.

The teachings and friendship of Gandhi strongly influenced Badshah Khan to fight for his people’s independence nonviolently. This means of battle completely defeated the British, who then controlled India. Badshah Khan’s vision for his people held the Pathans together during the difficult years of fighting for independence and later, for peace between the Hindus and Muslims:

I have one great dream, one great longing. Like flowers in the desert, my people are born, bloom for a while with nobody to look after them, wither, and return to the dust they came from. I want to see them share each other’s sorrow and happiness. I want to see them work together as equal partners. I want to see them play their national role and take their rightful place among the nations of the world, for the service of God and humanity.

Abdul Ghaffar Khan was born around 1890 in a small Muslim town near Peshawar, in present-day Pakistan, which at that time was still part of India. He came from a wealthy family of khans (tribal chiefs) and his father was determined to give his children a proper education. Ghaffar’s father did the unthinkable for their small village, when he sent his eight-year-old son to the Municipal Board School in Peshawar, a British-run Christian school.

As a child, Ghaffar would independently walk the streets of his village, enjoying the company of the poor, or wander along the banks of the river. His father often grew impatient at the boy’s action, but his wife, to whom Ghaffar was very close, would say, “He is a strong boy. He is a badshah, a king.”

By the time Ghaffar reached 16, he was a noticeably tall, strong, and determined young man—a born warrior. Before long, Ghaffar Khan was granted a commission to join the Guides, an elite corps of Pathan and Sikh infantry and cavalry. In theory, a Guides officer was equal to an Englishman. The family was ecstatic when Ghaffar agreed to try the Guides out.

It wasn’t long before Ghaffar refused the commission, after an Englishman insulted a Pathan friend of his who was a Guide. It was clear to him that no Englishman would completely take a Pathan as his equal. He could not serve in the British government, who degraded and turned his people into slaves.

After deciding against going to college in England, Ghaffar Khan dedicated his work to his people. He knew that illiteracy was holding his people back. In 1910, he opened his first Islamic school in Utmanzai. He taught the young Pathan people modern techniques of agriculture and hygiene.

Over the next years, Ghaffar Khan discovered Gandhi and realized that his lifestyle of simplicity and nonviolence was just what his people needed. Ghaffar’s people loved him, but they couldn’t figure out this kindly, gentle, and humble man. Then one day at a meeting which Ghaffar held in a village mosque, the crowd burst out with loud calls of “Badshah Khan.” This name spread all over India, and Ghaffar became revered as the king of all khans. As Badshah Khan became more famous and worked closer with Gandhi, he was also named “The Frontier Gandhi.”

In 1926, Badshah Khan started a journal in the Pathan language, which informed his people of what was occurring in the nation. Then in 1930, after befriending Gandhi, Badshah formed a nonviolent army called the Khudai Khidmatgars. These warriors fought against the deep-seated violence bred into them and bravely faced the British army unarmed.

Mohammed Yunus, a Pathan writer, sums up the tremendous cost the Khudai Khidmatgars paid to stay true to their nonviolent stand.

The two years that followed formed an astounding period of darkness for the province. Shootings, beatings and other acts of provocation were perpetrated against these people, who had never suffered before without avenging themselves. “Gunning the Red Shirts” was a popular sport and pastime of the British forces in the province…

But the Pathans, not withstanding the fact that they had been brought up in an atmosphere of violence and bloodshed, stood unmoved by such provocations and died peacefully in large numbers for the attainment of their goal.

Badshah Khan strongly opposed the partition of India and Pakistan. Altogether he spent more than thirty years in prison, first under the British, then under the new government of Pakistan, for his refusal to accept the partition. He always saw his imprisonment as a sacrifice he could make for his people.
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the endorsers of the march was not acceptable:

http://www.muslimwakeup.com/main/archives/2005/05/kamal_nawashs_s.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: