SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Body of U.S. commando found in Afghanistan: CNN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Body of U.S. commando found in Afghanistan: CNN Reply with quote

Sad news.

Quote:
Body of U.S. commando found in Afghanistan: CNN
11 Jul 2005 04:34:12 GMT
Source: Reuters

KABUL, July 11 (Reuters) - The body of a U.S. commando, the last in a group of four who went missing in Afghanistan last month, has been found and recovered, CNN reported quoting a senior U.S. defence official.

The Navy SEAL commando was killed in a shoot out with insurgents and there was "no way" he had been held in captivity, contrary claims by Taliban guerrillas, the report on the CNN Web site quoted the senior official as saying on Sunday.

Taliban spokesman Abdul Latif Hakimi had said the missing commando was captured by the guerrillas in the eastern province of Kunar last month and beheaded on Saturday.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/ISL173332.htm
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is good news. If he has to be dead, then this is a relief. They lied about cutting off his head after they tortured him and received many secrets. Inhuman liars.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AP via WashingtonPost

Quote:
Body of U.S. Commando Found in Afghanistan
By DANIEL COONEY
The Associated Press
Monday, July 11, 2005; 11:49 AM

KABUL, Afghanistan -- The body of a missing U.S. commando has been located in eastern Afghanistan, the military said Monday, bringing an end to the desperate search for the last member of an ill-fated, four-man special forces unit that disappeared last month.

One of the four men was rescued July 3; the other two were found dead the next day.

The body of the fourth U.S. Navy SEAL was found Sunday in Kunar province by a search and rescue team, the military said. It said all indications are that he died in fighting, despite a claim by Mullah Latif Hakimi, a purported Taliban spokesman, that he was captured alive and beheaded.

"The location and disposition of the service member's remains indicate he died while fighting off enemy terrorists on or about June 28," the statement said.

U.S. military spokesman Col. James Yonts repeatedly denied Hakimi's claims.

"There have been claims of being dropped on a mountain wearing red clothes, there have been claims of being beheaded," he said. But "there was no indication supporting the claims. ... This individual was never in custody, he was never defamed or disgraced."

He said the injuries on the commando's body were consistent with "a firefight, a combat operation with smalls arms fire, RPG (rocket-propelled grenade) rounds."

…….more

that has to be some measure of comfort for his family,
prayers up

lyin' Talibani slime
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He went down fighting as he was trained and prepared to do. We honor his sacrifice and are thankful that such men exist. We mourn our loss, but Gen. Patton had a different take.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died, rather we should thank God that such men lived." George S. Patton
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
He went down fighting as he was trained and prepared to do. We honor his sacrifice and are thankful that such men exist. We mourn our loss, but Gen. Patton had a different take.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died, rather we should thank God that such men lived." George S. Patton

I myself do not think it is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died, Senior Officers such as Patton knew the war plan and they had "acceptable losses" figured into the cost of the operational plan. Junior Officers and enlisted men that fought for that hill or went up some river operation knew the men that died and that is personal and we mourn them after all these years.

That SEAL knows he lost three close friends, comrades and he will suffer forever. He will always wonder why did I survive and they died. Hopefully, he will have a life and family but I doubt it. SEALs have a divorce rate of over 70% because of their dedication and deployment schedule. I will mourn, cry and hope this survior can put it in to context for what he has done for the Nation.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish we could have brought some backup in the first eight hours, his family should be proud.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad to know that he didn't die in the hands of those bloody savages and that our guys got his body out of there.

But damn... I just hate losing them! Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: