SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baghdad Day 1 - report from Brad Maaske 'Iraq Truth Tour'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olympian2004
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Baghdad Day 1 - report from Brad Maaske 'Iraq Truth Tour' Reply with quote

http://voicesofsoldiers.com/article.php?story=20050711162431350

Baghdad.... Day 1
Author: Brad
Dated: Monday, July 11 2005 @ 04:24 PM EDT
Baghdad. First Day

Brad Maaske is a talk show host on KMJ in Fresno, California.

After nearly 30 hours of travel and few hours of sleep we loaded onto a C130 for the trip to Baghdad. There were several soldiers returning to the theater as well as our group.

We were all carrying our gear as well as wearing army issue kevlar and helmets. My helmet broke before I even put it on. (At least the strap did). The plane ride is like an E-Ticket at Disneyland. Everyone talks about getting shot at, rough air, noise... it was a kick.

I had a small window I could look out and as we flew from Kuwait to Baghdad, I was amazed at the canal system. The landscape looked like the San Joaquin Valley in California, except, they forgot to turn on the water in the canals. In the 90's Saddam had tried to kill the Marsh Arabs, by building dams and stealing the water flowing South. Water is now flowing again, but the trees and land look dead. Seeing the agricultural and oil producing possibilities it is easy to imagine that as the economy and safety improve, Iraq could easily become one of the largest economic powers in the Middle East. I wonder if that is why many Arab nations are leary of its success.

The landing is amazing. As we circle and pivot through the air, the planes try to never take the same path twice, airmen fire chaff flares out the back of the plane to thwart missles fired from the ground, and then, as gently as any commercial airliner, you set down on the runway at Baghdad International Airport.

We spent the day eating, the food is awesome here, talking to soldiers, and getting clearances to film and interview more people. 3 days is not enough time.

I was immediately impressed by the morale of the soldiers here. All smiling and intent upon completing their jobs. Today's all volunteer military is amazing. Of course the left will tell you I am only looking for the good. I wonder what the difference is between someone who sets out looking for the positive and someone who sets out looking for the worst in Iraq? Does that mean that the story we tell after interviewing soldiers and citizens who have seen Iraq will not be true?

We are sleeping in tents, approximately 20 people to a tent, ours both civilian and military. Allthough it is hot here, it feels a lot like my home town in Visalia, California. Of course we don't have concrete barricades along all of our roads or sandbags surrounding our houses/tents, but the weather and climate seem similar.

As I prepare to go to sleep, I feel excited, like a child who has so many exciting new things to do, and not enough time to do them. Freedom isn't free. God Bless those who are around me here keeping me safe.

Good Night. Brad Maaske 12:53 AM Baghdad, Iraq
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we get to read em all. I can't get any of the radio programs. Thanks for posting this one Olympian.

Dusty
Curtis H.
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks. I posted it on another forum and the lefties didn't like and as usual, speak for those who are serving while they sit on their butts. Claim they support the troops. Ha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: