SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hinderaker: "Is Hypocrisy Still Considered A Vice?"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Hinderaker: "Is Hypocrisy Still Considered A Vice?" Reply with quote

Probably one of the better dismemberments of the NY Times editorial board that I've read in quite some time. Kudos to Hinderaker and Powerline . Simply terrific...

Quote:
July 13, 2005
Is Hypocrisy Still Considered A Vice?

We rarely read the New York Times' editorials except for their occasional humor value; today's editorial on the Valerie Plame affair is a case in point. To begin with, the Times has a bit of a problem denouncing leaks, as it admits: "Far be it for [sic] us to denounce leaks." No kidding; the Times has carried on a guerrilla war against the Bush administration for the last four and one-half years, relying largely on anti-Bush leaks by Democrats in the CIA and the State Department.

But the Plame "leak" is different, somehow:
Quote:
But it is something else entirely when officials peddle disinformation for propaganda purposes or to harm a political adversary.

Yes, we certainly agree with that. That's why our opinion of Joe Wilson is so low. He leaked the contents of his own report to the CIA--in the pages of the New York Times!--only he lied about his own report. He "peddled disinformation," falsely claiming to have found no evidence of an Iraqi effort to buy uranium from Niger, in order to "harm a political adversary," President Bush. The Times didn't mind that particular disinformation, however, since it fit the paper's political agenda. In fact, the Times has never issued a correction of the misstatements in Wilson's op-ed. On the contrary, today's editorial links to Wilson's 2003 piece and repeats its central allegations, without even mentioning that Wilson's op-ed has been found to be fraudulent by the bipartisan Senate Intelligence Committee!

The Times continues:
Quote:
Mr. Rove said the origins of Mr. Wilson's mission were "flawed and suspect" because, according to Mr. Rove, Mr. Wilson had been sent to Niger at the suggestion of his wife, who works for the Central Intelligence Agency. To understand why Mr. Rove thought that was a black mark, remember that the White House considers dissenters enemies and that the C.I.A. had cast doubt on the administration's apocalyptic vision of Iraq's weapons programs.

No! Rove "thought that was a black mark" because Wilson had falsely claimed, in the very New York Times op-ed that the editorial linked to this morning, that he had been sent to Niger at the request of Vice-President Cheney's office:
Quote:
In February 2002, I was informed by officials at the Central Intelligence Agency that Vice President Dick Cheney's office had questions about a particular intelligence report. While I never saw the report, I was told that it referred to a memorandum of agreement that documented the sale of uranium yellowcake — a form of lightly processed ore — by Niger to Iraq in the late 1990's. The agency officials asked if I would travel to Niger to check out the story so they could provide a response to the vice president's office.

This was another lie by Wilson, as Cheney pointed out at the time, and as the Senate Intelligence Report confirmed. Contrary to false statements made by Wilson and his wife, it was Valerie Plame who suggested her husband for the Niger venture, and the Vice-President's office had nothing to do with it. This is precisely what Karl Rove told Matt Cooper, but the Times demurely fails to quote Cooper's email to that effect.

As usual, the Times's editorial will sound plausible only to the uninformed. But it seems to me that there is a deeper level of malfeasance here.

In all of the liberal huffing and puffing over the supposed "outing" of Valerie Plame--as though she might be in danger as she drove to and from her desk job in Langley, and as though she hadn't posed for a photo shoot in Vanity Fair, dressed up as a spy--I've seen no liberal criticism of a more recent, real outing of a clandestine CIA operation. In this case, those who outed a CIA operation exposed secret agents operating in the field, in circumstances of great personal danger, not a civilian desk employee. The outing of the CIA operation undoubtedly forced the CIA to terminate or change what had been an effective means of protecting the nation's security, and likely did endanger the lives of real covert agents.

I'm referring, of course, to the exposure of a purportedly civilian airline as a CIA operation:
Quote:
While posing as a private charter outfit - "aircraft rental with pilot" is the listing in Dun and Bradstreet - Aero Contractors is in fact a major domestic hub of the Central Intelligence Agency's secret air service. The company was founded in 1979 by a legendary C.I.A. officer and chief pilot for Air America, the agency's Vietnam-era air company, and it appears to be controlled by the agency, according to former employees.
An analysis of thousands of flight records, aircraft registrations and corporate documents, as well as interviews with former C.I.A. officers and pilots, show that the agency owns at least 26 planes, 10 of them purchased since 2001. The agency has concealed its ownership behind a web of seven shell corporations that appear to have no employees and no function apart from owning the aircraft.

The planes, regularly supplemented by private charters, are operated by real companies controlled by or tied to the agency, including Aero Contractors and two Florida companies, Pegasus Technologies and Tepper Aviation.

Who was it who "outed" these CIA employees, blew their cover and perhaps endangered their lives? The New York Times , of course! In an article that was based largely on leaks by former CIA employees, who were out to embarrass the administration. Ah, but that's the "good" kind of leak--the kind that exposes the Agency's real covert operatives, not the kind that tries to correct lies told by Democratic Party loyalists in the pages of the New York Times.

Posted by John at 08:04 AM

PowerLine
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post. Thanks for the 'ammo' #1.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusty wrote:
Good post. Thanks for the 'ammo' #1.

Air America to Southern Air Transport to Aero Contractors. The Company needs to keep a name long enough to build customer loyalty and brand name recognition.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great piece on Wilson and the Times. If you have time you might enjoy these few links for similar reading:

http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/2003question/niger_uranium.htm

http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/exclusive_1.htm

http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/nether_fictoid6.htm

Last edited by Uisguex Jack on Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of hypocrisy Hugh Hewitt reminds us of the amici curiae brief
filed to make the point that Judith Miller and Matt Cooper should not be compelled to identify their sources, arguing that NO CRIME WAS COMMITTED IN 'OUTING PLAME' therefore reporters should not have to reveal their sources
Let me get this straight. First, the New York Times led the parade demanding the appointment of a Special Prosecutor to investigate the leak because a crime may have been committed by the White House.
Then when that prosecutor requests testimony from the reporters, the Press goes to Circuit Court to argue that NO CRIME WAS COMMITTED.

WHAAAT???

Quote:
Journalism 101 --What some reporters ought to be asking members of the White House press corps.

President Bush, on 9/30/2003:

"If there's a leak out of my administration, I want to know who it is. If the person has violated law, then the person will be taken care of."

From HoustonChronicle.com:

"It's a tough legal hurdle for Patrick Fitzgerald, the special federal prosecutor who has been investigating the Plame case for more than 18 months.

'He has to find somebody who would say Rove knew that she was covert, that he knew that the government was making an effort to hide her identity,' said Philip Heymann, former deputy attorney general during the Clinton administration. 'It would appear he is working very, very hard to prove that because without it, you don't have a crime.'"

Mr. Heyman doesn't know what the prosecutor is "working very, very hard to prove," but it is clear to most reasonable people that Matt Cooper's e-mail does not support even a far-fetched claim that Rove broke the law.

But don't believe me. Believe the 36 "major news organizations and reporters' groups" that filed an amici curiae brief in the D.C. Circuit on the question of whether Matt Cooper and Judith Miller should be compelled to reveal the identities of confidential sources. (HT: Beldar).On page ii of the brief, the lawyers for the media groups assert: "In this case, there exists ample evidence in the public record to cast serious doubt as to whether a crime has even been committed under the Intelligence Identities Protection Act (the "Act") in the investigation underlying the attempts to secure testimony from Miller and Cooper. If in fact no crime under the Act has been committed, then any need to compel Miller and Cooper to reveal their confidential sources should evaporate." Among the amici --ABC, employer of one Terry Moran, outraged member of the White House press corps, CNN, CBS, FoxNews, and NBC Universal --employer of David Gregory, another of the "hang Rove" crowd. The Washington Post and White House Correspondents are also signatories to the brief that notes "Plame was not given 'deep cover' required of a covert agent...She worked at a desk job at CIA headquarters, where she could be seen traveling to and from, and active at, Langley. She had been residing in Washington -- not stationed abroad-- for a number of years. As discussed below, the CIA failed to take even its usual steps to prevent publication of her name."

The brief also notes that "an article in the Washington Times indicated that Plame's identity was compromised twice prior to Novak's publication. If this information is accurate --another fact a court should explore-- there is an absolute defense to prosecution."

So the collective braying in the press room seems at best peculiar. Rove answered a Cooper call, and did not name Plame. The White House reporters are calling for Rove's head based on what, exactly? The president's statement on September 30, 2003? On a crime their own news organizations doubt has occurred in any event, much less a crime committed by Karl Rove?

David Gregory, NBC empty suit, snarled this at Scott McClellan today:.....

Continued at: http://www.hughhewitt.com/#postid1794
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this is the real reason for all the hype: Shocked

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2005-05-02-newspaper-sales_x.htm

Posted 5/2/2005 11:31 PM Updated 5/2/2005 11:42 PM

"Newspaper sales continue to slide
By David Lieberman, USA TODAY
NEW YORK — "Newspaper publishers had a dreary story to tell Monday as data from an organization that monitors circulation reports showed that average weekday sales fell to 47.4 million in the six months ended March 31, down 1.9% from the same period last year.
Sunday sales dropped 2.5% to 51.1 million, according to an analysis of Audit Bureau of Circulations data by the Newspaper Association of America.

Among the largest newspapers, USA TODAY and The New York Times showed modest gains by reaching out to a broad national audience."
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a new campaign.

"Boycott the New York Times"

Why pay for lies?

Dusty
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today joe wilson says:
Quote:
"My wife's name is Mrs. Joseph Wilson," he replied. "It is Mrs. Valerie Wilson. He named her. He identified her," Wilson said. "So that argument doesn't stand the smell test ... What I do know is that Mr. Rove is talking to the press and he is saying things like my wife is fair game. That's an outrage. That's an abuse of power."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050714/D8BB60S81.html

The abuse of power I see here is that comrade Wilson was ever sent to investigate anything about Iraq.... If his wife in anyway, anyway at all helped influence such a decision it is she and he who were abusing thier power. And all on the taxpayers nickle.

I think under no circumstances should Rove ever resign. He drives these guys nuts. He is very thorough, fastidious in all his efforts and it creamed them in the ellection. The longer he stays at work the more the democrats will fall off the edge of the globe.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rush Limbaugh has picked up on this story. (1:26 PM Thurs)
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from here I've gleaned this:
http://www.gop.com/News/Read.aspx?ID=5630

Quote:
In Fact, His Wife Suggested Him For 1999 Trip, As Well. “The former ambassador had traveled previously to Niger on the CIA’s behalf … The former ambassador was selected for the 1999 trip after his wife mentioned to her supervisors that her husband was planning a business trip to Niger in the near future and might be willing to use his contacts in the region…”
(Select Committee On Intelligence, “Report On The U.S. Intelligence Community’s Prewar Intelligence Assessments On Iraq,” U.S. Senate, 7/7/04)

How the hell does this work? One day the guy goes to Niger..... right?

joe wilson says:
Quote:
The CIA knew my name from a trip, and it’s in the report, that I had taken in 1999 related to uranium activities but not related to Iraq. I had served for 23 years in government including as Bill Clinton’s Senior Director for African Affairs at the National Security Council. I had done a lot of work with the Niger government during a period punctuated by a military coup and a subsequent assassination of a president. So I knew all the people there.” (CNN’s “Late Edition,” 7/18/04)

Well I guess he did not any longer know the assassinated president..... Is he saying he knew the leaders of the Military Coup?

What the hell kind of buisness trip was he planing.... I'm assuming someone was paying him and that someone was paying him from some sort of profit. Unless of course he was working for Bob Geldoff and Bono to relieve famine?!

How could this asserted 'buisness trip' not have been a massive conflict of interest considering his earlier very recent work for the ever succesfull Clinton Administration??

Wilson mentions his 'contacts' in Niger..... what the hell. His contacts are my contacts.... we the people payed his sallery. Yet just a couple of years later he's on a 'Buisness trip' and 'might be willing to use his contacts'..

Thanks but no thanks. Time to investigate these fools, not Rove and Nolvak.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how do we get the Republicans to start another 'Special Prosecuter' to investigte Joe Wilson and who was pulling his strings.
We need to get to the bottom of the snake pit.

Dusty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: