SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Operation Town Square
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Operation Town Square Reply with quote

Operation (insert your zip code) Troop Support

8/8/2005

Objectives:
1. Increase troop moral and resolve to fight The War on Terror.
2. Increase America’s resolve to support The War on Terror.

Mission:
To get home town troop supporters to their local post office at high noon on Veterans Day for a group photo and signature that will be sent to their home town troops.

All members of our Armed forces when inducted provided the military a home town address and zip code. The zip code they provided represents a post office facility that is a hometown icon in the minds of our troops. When our troops receive the picture of their local post office with hundreds of hometown residence standing in support of their service it will accomplish two things. The first is a boost to troop moral, and the second is an increase in America’s resolve to support the troops and The War on Terror.

Likely Participants:
Friends & family of active duty military members
American Legion members
VFW members
AMVET members
USO
D.O.D. Public Affairs
U.S. Postal Service

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police

Last edited by coldwarvet on Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:08 pm; edited 4 times in total
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea. I'm writing a letter to our local weekly paper now to get them to put a public service ad in about this.
If they won't do it out of public service, I'll just buy an add. Our paper doesn't have a section for the public to speak out in.
Posters all over town will go up too.
Good idea.

Dusty
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this topic would get more support. How hard would it be to get hometown troop supporters down to there local post office on Veterans Day for a photo shoot that will boost the moral of your hometown troops?

CWV Confused

dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's gonna be hard to do in my town CWV.
Talked to several folks already about it and they are loving the idea. I got a flyer I'm taking to the Chamber of Commerce and several churches tomorrow.
We're going to use the local churches as sign up stations where folks can write down the names, addresses of their soldiers so we can mail the pics and a signature file to all those soldiers.
I think the county Judge is going to be agreeable to using the County Clerk's office as a sign up place too. I haven't made it around to the P.O. yet.
Another tomorrow thing.
We're going to put some adds in the local paper too.
Although we may use our County Courthouse on the town square for the backdrop instead of the P.O.
Way more room and I think we're going to need it from the early response I've gotten.
Great idea.

Dusty
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Although we may use our County Courthouse on the town square for the backdrop instead of the P.O. Way more room and I think we're going to need it from the early response I've gotten.

Wow! Dusty you are way ahead of me. You got your town and I got mine that is a great start considering we have 90 days until Veterans Day!

Their is about 43,000 zip codes excluding P.O. Box zip codes. I got 54220 covered. Any ideals on how we can get to the other 42,998? Wouldn't it be great to get all 43,000 Zip Codes covered. If we got 100% participation and we got just 100 people out to each Zip Code that would be 4,300,000 great Americans standing up in support of their hometown troops.

CWV

dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure would be nice if the U.S.P.S. would donate the postage.
This could get to be a pretty good size expense for large towns. But I bet if everyone who wants a pic sent to their service person would pay the postage we could allieviate all that.
I think I'm gonna make that a part of the process here in our town unless someone has a better solution. Once we have the pics, everybody that wants one can get a copy and mail it themselves.
Where's everybody else on this?
Maybe a copy of a flyer to the MSM? Stike that. A copy to Hannity and Rush?

Dusty
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OPERATION
HOMETOWN
SUPPORT

WHEN:
NOON……NOVEMBER 11, 2005
VETERANS DAY

WHERE:
IN FRONT OF THE Courthouse SAN AUGUSTINE, TX.

PURPOSE:
To show our town’s support for
San Augustine’s soldiers in Iraq.
A picture will be taken of the gathered supporters.
Copies of this picture along with a signature list of all who attend and sign the list will be made available to anyone who wants to send a copy to their
service person.

All who wish to show their support for San Augustine’s soldiers in this war on terror are invited and urged to attend.

I got it all centered up on the actual flyer. Anything else we could put on there?
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ideal! What a PR move for the U.S.P.S. they had money in their budget to support Lance Armstrong.

I think they can provide free postage in support of the troops. Perhaps they could also provide us a spread sheet with all the Zip Codes that we can use as volunteers step forward.

Perhaps we can start a list of names of those who step forward as point person along with the Zip Code they will oversee.

#00,001 Dusty Zip Code 75972
#00,002 CWV Zip Code 54220

Last edited by coldwarvet on Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusty wrote:
OPERATION
HOMETOWN
SUPPORT

WHEN:
NOON……NOVEMBER 11, 2005
VETERANS DAY

WHERE:
IN FRONT OF THE Courthouse SAN AUGUSTINE, TX.

PURPOSE:
To show our town’s support for
San Augustine’s soldiers in Iraq.
A picture will be taken of the gathered supporters.
Copies of this picture along with a signature list of all who attend and sign the list will be made available to anyone who wants to send a copy to their
service person.

All who wish to show their support for San Augustine’s soldiers in this war on terror are invited and urged to attend.

I got it all centered up on the actual flyer. Anything else we could put on there?

Great poster Dusty! Perhaps we can have it professionally printed and have 100 copies or so made for each Zip Code. I am sure the D.O.D. Public Affairs division would happily provide us with the posters.

dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just let each point person in each community print out their own flyers with their town's name in place of the one I have there and whatever location in their town that would be a good gathering spot for the event.
Anyone is more than welcome to use what I have on the above flyer for theirs.
Boy I'm getting some good response here on this. The County Judge said in front of the Courthouse is a great spot and they are going to let me post flyers on the courthouse doors as the date for the event gets closer. And he does a weekly radio broadcast here and is gonna start mentioning it on there too.
I'm waiting for a response from the local weekly newpaper but I'm sure it's gonna be positive too. Maybe a little free publicity.
And I'm making sure to impress on everyone that this is not a Democrat/Republican thing. This is an American thing. That seems to help a little in some quarters. hehe

Dusty
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty I sent emails to....

American Legion - National Head Quarters
VFW - National Head Quarters
AmVets - National Head Quarters

Asking if they would be willing to send out a call to members that would take the point in their home towns. I havn't heard back from any of these organizations yet. Perhaps they think I am a kook or something.

Oh well, I am trying to hard to make a national thing out of this and if all we have is our two towns it is worth doing.

I did speak to a father of a Marine today and he seemed pretty charged up about the ideal.

CWV

dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool CWV. It'd be nice to get some Natl. organizations behind this.

Just thinking here but you know we probably have a lot of towns represented here on the forum. All it takes is one person per town setting it up and it'd pretty much be a national thing automatically. This is something we can each do ourselves. If we get it rolling along, media attention and nationwide notice will follow. Sort of a 'grassroots' thingy.
Where's everybody at? CVW and I need some company, it's gettin lonesome out here.
Bump.....bump.....nudge.....nudge.
Dusty
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just thinking here but you know we probably have a lot of towns represented here on the forum.

Yes you are correct Dusty their are alot of towns represented on this forum. I did create a new topic for people to sign up. I hoped admin would make it a sticky but I think it will die a slow death on a back page some where.

CWV

coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to register operationhometownsupport.com I noticed that their already was a operationhometownsupport.org. I contacted them and they informed me that they would prefer it if we came up with another name for our planed Veteran's Day event.

Please post any name ideals you have.

CWV

For now let's refer to it as Operation Town Square. Perhaps someone will come up with something better.

Last edited by coldwarvet on Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:13 pm; edited 4 times in total
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I think this is a wonderful idea! I spoke to a couple of friends about it
and they agree. However, thinking it's just a little early yet to set it up.
I'm thinking late September, when vacations are over, kids are back to school, etc. it will be
easier to focus community attention on it.
I live in a small town and I know there will be support for this.
We have quite a number of local soldiers serving in Iraq. We have lost two young Marines in the last year.

A suggestion: Most communities (small towns anyway) have a Veteran's Day
parade (Usually in the morning) my husband and I always attend.
I'm thinking it would be easy to have all who come out for the parade to
then assemble at a designated location for the group picture with all the Vets who marched in the parade.
Rather than trying to get people to come back again later in the day.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: