SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9/11 commission defends probe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: 9/11 commission defends probe Reply with quote

Well we knew this s**t would start!

Chairmen: Information about hijacker unreliable

Friday, August 12, 2005; Posted: 10:10 p.m. EDT (02:10 GMT)

"WASHINGTON (AP) -- The leaders of the 9/11 commission late Friday disputed a congressman's criticism that the panel did not adequately investigate a claim that four hijackers were identified as al Qaeda members more than a year before the attacks.

In a joint statement, former commission chairman Thomas Kean and vice chairman Lee Hamilton said a military official who made the claim had no documentation to back it up. And they said only 9/11 ringleader Mohamed Atta was identified to them and not three additional hijackers as claimed by Rep. Curt Weldon, vice chairman of the House Armed Services and Homeland Security committees.

"He could not describe what information had led to this supposed Atta identification," the statement said of the military official."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/08/12/sept.11.hijackers.ap/index.html

Do you think that Sandy Burgler might have stuffed these docs down his pants? And why are these people investigating themselves? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an attempt at CYA by the chairmen of the 9/11 commission. These
two men signed their name to a report that they did not write themselves
and for which much of the evidence was taken and evaluated by staffers.
According to Sean, Rep. Weldon knew about the "Able Danger" group due
to a previous committee assignment and he has stated that 11 members
of the group are willing to testify about this matter under oath. IMO, it
would behoove Lee Hamilton and Tom Keane to withhold their judgement
and their comments until all the facts are known. Otherwise, they
may end up with egg on their faces!
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srmorton wrote:
This is an attempt at CYA by the chairmen of the 9/11 commission. These
two men signed their name to a report that they did not write themselves
and for which much of the evidence was taken and evaluated by staffers.
According to Sean, Rep. Weldon knew about the "Able Danger" group due
to a previous committee assignment and he has stated that 11 members
of the group are willing to testify about this matter under oath. IMO, it
would behoove Lee Hamilton and Tom Keane to withhold their judgement
and their comments until all the facts are known. Otherwise, they
may end up with egg on their faces!

I'd have to say they already got egg all down their chins and dripping on their shirts and even down to their knees.
The commission was a sham. "Iraq had no 'operational' connection to the 9/11 attacks."
Yeah right and I have the clear title to the Golden Gate Bridge if someone wants to buy it too.
I think the cats getting out of the bag and the mice are running in every direction.

Dusty
Tanya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAY OF INFAMY 2001
Weldon not buying 'Able Danger' dismissal
Accuses 9-11 commission of changing its story on Atta info

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: August 13, 2005
1:09 a.m. Eastern

"WASHINGTON – Rep. Curt Weldon, R-Pa., has accused the 9-11 commission of changing its story several times this week about revelations Defense Department investigators tracking al-Qaida were prevented from passing along information on the presence of Mohammed Atta and three other future hijackers in the U.S. more than a year before the worst terrorist attack in history."

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45758
Tanya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 9/11 9/11 Commission (Not a Misprint)
Written by John Armor
Saturday, August 13, 2005

~snip~
"Now, we turn to the solution to this 9/11 Commission problem. It is a normal duty of Congress to exercise oversight concerning all federal agencies. The commission is/was a federal agency. Its failures concerning the Able Danger research is a very focused inquiry. Therefore, an appropriate committee of Congress should and can convene an inquiry to get to the bottom of this problem.

How fast can Congress act? Well, it ginned up a hearing on steroid use in baseball on 30-days’ notice. It seems to me that the 9/11 failure is slightly more important than that. So start your steroid clocks now. Let’s see if Congress can get Jamie Gorelick on camera and under oath within 30 days. Let the “9/11 9/11" hearings begin."

http://www.chronwatch.com/content/contentDisplay.asp?aid=16211
Tanya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weldon just said on FOX that he is going to call for the staff to be put under oath and there are 11 people now willing to come forward about Able Danger!
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should rename the 9/11 Commision to the "Humpty Dumpty Commision". I don't think any of the Members HDs can put this together again. Laughing Laughing Laughing Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad Mad Embarassed It is comical and maddening at the same time. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Shocked Shocked Shocked
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like there were no ties to 911 and Saddam right!!

SBD
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
June 21, 2005 Tuesday

COMMITTEE HEARING
INTELLIGENCE, INFORMATION SHARING, AND TERRORISM RISK ASSESSMENT SUBCOMMITTEE

HOUSE HOMELAND SECURITY COMMITTEE

U.S. REPRESENTATIVE ROBERT R. SIMMONS (R-CT) HOLDS HEARING ON OPEN-SOURCE INFORMATION SHARING

U.S. REPRESENTATIVE ROBERT R. SIMMONS (R-CT), CHAIRMAN
WASHINGTON, D.C.

WELDON: Thank you, Mr. Chairman, for holding this hearing, a very important hearing.

And thank each of you for testifying.

I want to walk my colleagues through a case study that I think is very appropriate for this hearing, and I want to take my colleagues back to 1999. I was then chairman of the Defense Research Subcommittee. We were standing up information dominance centers for each of the services, and the information dominant center of the Army, called the LIWA, the Land Information Warfare Assessment Center, was headquartered at Fort Belvoir. They were also linked with SOCOM down in Florida, which was doing amazing work and using the same model that the Army was using. They were bringing together disparate systems of classified data, including open-source data, which the CIA was not using at that time, to understand emerging transnational threats.

John Hamre was the Deputy Secretary of Defense, and I asked him to go down and look at this capability because I was increasing the funding for it and he did, and he said, "You're right, Congressman."

We put together a brief, a nine-page briefing, which I'd like to enter into the record.

SIMMONS: Without objection, so ordered.

WELDON: This brief in 1999 called for the creation of a national operations and analysis hub, the policymakers tool for acting against emerging transnational threats and dangers to U.S. national security. And the concept was to bring together 33 classified systems managed by 15 agencies, including open-source data to do massive data mining and using tools like Starlight and Spires and other cutting-edge software technologies to be able to give us the kind of information to understand emerging threats.

John Hamre said, "I agree with you, Congressman, and I'll pay the bill. The Defense Department will foot the bill for this, and I don't care where the administration wants to put it, at the White House, the NSC, wherever, but you've got to convince the FBI and the CIA because they have a large part of this data."

So at John Hamre's suggestion, on November 4 of 1999, almost two years before 9/11, we had a meeting with the deputy directors of all three agencies. I went over the brief, and the CIA said, "Well, Congressman, that's great, but we don't need that capability. We're doing something called CI-21, and we feel we have enough capability and we don't need that extra capability that you're talking about.

Well, at the time, the Army and SOCOM, passed by General Shelton and General Schoomaker, who was Commander of SOCOM, were doing a classified program called, "Able Danger," which has not yet been discussed in the open, and I don't know why the 9/11 Commission didn't go into it, because Able Danger was focused on Al Qaida. Able Danger was a classified project of SOCOM and our Army looking at the cells of Al Qaida worldwide so that we'd have actionable information to take out those cells.

What I didn't realize was that they had actually produced a chart until two weeks after 9/11. Now, Mike unfold the chart. This chart was taken by me in a smaller form to Steve Hadley two weeks after 9/11. Now, it's difficult for my colleagues to see even though I've had it blown up, but hold it up, Mike.

This chart identifies the major Al Qaida cells, and if you look to the chart in the center to the left, there's the picture of Mohammad Atta. What the military did in 1999 and 2000 through the use of open-source data, and this is not classified what I'm showing you, they identified the Mohammad Atta cell in New York and identified two of the other three terrorists.

What I have since learned, and I have two -- Mr. Chairman, if we want to do a classified hearing on this, I have two military personnel who will come in and testify who were involved with this. But SOCOM made a recommendation to bring the FBI in and take out the Mohammad Atta cell. And the lawyers, I guess within SOCOM or within DOD, said, "You can't touch Mohammad Atta, because he's here on a green card, as are the other two suspected terrorists. And they were also concerned about the fallout from WACO.

So now we have obtained through an open-source capability that the CIA did not want to pursue, "We don't need that." When I took this chart to Steve Hadley and opened it up in the White House he said to me, "Congressman, where did you get this chart from?" I said I got it from the military, special forces command of that Army.

This is what I've been telling you we need to fuse together our classified systems. And Steve Hadley, the Deputy to the National Security Advisor, said, "I've got to show this to the man." I said, "The man?" He said, "The president of the United States." I said, "You mean don't have this kind of capability?" He said, "Absolutely not, Congressman."

So he took the chart and he gave it to the president of the United States.

In 2003, George Bush announced the TTIC, the Terrorism Threat Integration Center. The TTIC is identical to what we proposed in 1999 but the CIA told us, "Trust us. We know better. We know how to do this kind of capability. We know how to do this emerging threat." They didn't produce that chart. It was done by military capabilities to the Army's Information Dominant Center and through special forces command, tasked by General Shelton and General Schoomaker.

Now, to add further insult to injury, bring out the next chart. This is the capability that's now available but I've been told it's not capable of being produced through the NCTC, the National Counterterrorism Center.

This is Al Qaida today worldwide. Every one of those little dots is a person or a cell, and every one of them are identified. This is a worldwide global depiction of where Al Qaida is today, the key cells that are threatening us, their linkages to other nations, their linkages to terrorist attacks. This information is all obtained through open-source information. I have been told by the military liaison to the NCTC that the NCTC could not produce this today.

Mr. Chairman, this is something that this subcommittee has to pursue is I've been told that at the NCTC we have three separate distinct entities and the stovepipes are still there. For the life of me I cannot understand why there is resistance among the people who are paid to do our intelligence to fuse together information to give us a better understanding of emerging threats. This comprehensive capability is now being pursued by naval intelligence under a new task force that I hope will be picked up by John Negroponte who I gave a brief to two weeks ago.

Open-source intelligence has been extremely valuable and can be extremely valuable. I'm not convinced yet that we're there.

SBD
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Just like there were no ties to 911 and Saddam right!!

SBD

Funny how that Cuban cigar smoking bloke (nothing inherently wrong with Cubans) bears a resemblance to Saddam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: