SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retired USS Iowa headed inland after San Francisco's antiwar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Retired USS Iowa headed inland after San Francisco's antiwar Reply with quote

The Peoples Republic of San Francisco, capital of the Land of Fruits and Nuts, drags anti-war to a new low, in my estimation. Even the far left Dianne Feinstein doesn't get this one;

Quote:
Retired USS Iowa headed inland after San Francisco's antiwar rejection

SAN FRANCISCO, Aug. 15 — The USS Iowa joined in battles from World War II to Korea to the Persian Gulf. It carried President Franklin Roosevelt home from the Teheran conference of allied leaders, and four decades later, suffered one of the nation's most deadly military accidents.

Veterans groups and history buffs had hoped that tourists in San Francisco could walk the same teak decks where sailors dodged Japanese machine-gun fire and fired 16-inch guns that helped win battles across the South Pacific. <<snip>>

But city supervisors voted 8-3 last month to oppose taking in the ship, citing local opposition to the Iraq war and the military's stance on gays, among other things.

''If I was going to commit any kind of money in recognition of war, then it should be toward peace, given what our war is in Iraq right now,'' Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi said.

Feinstein called it a ''very petty decision.''

''This isn't the San Francisco that I've known and loved and grew up in and was born in,'' Feinstein said.

USS Iowa
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Retired USS Iowa headed inland after San Francisco's ant Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
The Peoples Republic of San Francisco, capital of the Land of Fruits and Nuts, drags anti-war to a new low, in my estimation. Even the far left Dianne Feinstein doesn't get this one;

Quote:
Retired USS Iowa headed inland after San Francisco's antiwar rejection

SAN FRANCISCO, Aug. 15 — The USS Iowa joined in battles from World War II to Korea to the Persian Gulf. It carried President Franklin Roosevelt home from the Teheran conference of allied leaders, and four decades later, suffered one of the nation's most deadly military accidents.

Veterans groups and history buffs had hoped that tourists in San Francisco could walk the same teak decks where sailors dodged Japanese machine-gun fire and fired 16-inch guns that helped win battles across the South Pacific. <<snip>>

But city supervisors voted 8-3 last month to oppose taking in the ship, citing local opposition to the Iraq war and the military's stance on gays, among other things.

''If I was going to commit any kind of money in recognition of war, then it should be toward peace, given what our war is in Iraq right now,'' Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi said.

Feinstein called it a ''very petty decision.''

''This isn't the San Francisco that I've known and loved and grew up in and was born in,'' Feinstein said.

USS Iowa

These people are sick narrowminded people.... Where would the world be without the help of us (and all of our allies at any given war)?

I am curious about the accident though, I don't recall anything about it Confused
Maybe the cobwebs are growing :p
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1989 during a firing exercise there was an explosion in Turret #2 with fatalities. LOts of controvery over it.

http://www.combie.net/webharbor/museum/bb61-2.html
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
In 1989 during a firing exercise there was an explosion in Turret #2 with fatalities. LOts of controvery over it.

http://www.combie.net/webharbor/museum/bb61-2.html

Wow.... such a tragic story :/
This was before I had ANY knowledge outside my Texas University... at that time, I didn't see, or didn't care about reality :/ (I was 19yo).

Think there is some way to teach\show the younger peeps (people) how important it is to see what is going on in reality, wherever it might be?

EDIT:
sorry, didn't mean to double post, I tried to stop it before it went through to correct a mistake :/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: