SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Im headed to Biloxi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Im headed to Biloxi Reply with quote

Headed to Biloxi to check out roof damage. I will report what I see down there and possibly post some pics. Should be there by noon Tuesday.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Im headed to Biloxi Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
Headed to Biloxi to check out roof damage. I will report what I see down there and possibly post some pics. Should be there by noon Tuesday.

If you have a helicopter.

Dusty
GenrXr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am exhausted. If you are planning a trip along I-10 between Texas and Florida top off the fuel tank at or before Baton Rouge. If you are headed between Florida and Texas top off the fuel tank at or before Mobile. I started out Monday night at 9:45pm and drove till 10:25pm Tuesday where my office found a hotel room in Shreveport, LA. Last hotel room left in LA was their reply. Do not plan on finding a hotel room in Mississppi, Louisiana, or Alabama. The damages are absolutely staggering and that’s without seeing New Orleans. News Orleans is completely shut down. These damages will probably end up being in the 100's of billions as opposed to the initial 15-20 billion projected. By far this is the most devastating Hurricane to hit the US. We have had fiercer storms, but these came prior to the gulf coast building expansion. The dangerous semi-circle hit about 30 miles west of Gulf Port Mississippi. This was the fiercest part of Katrina, whereas the weakest part of Katrina the navigable semi-circle hit New Orleans. Just imagine the destruction had the dangerous semi-circle hit New Orleans. We would not be discussing rebuilding the city.

In 1901 a storm hit Galveston which took the lives of 9000+ people, wiped out half the city and led to Houston being chosen as Texas major port city. We could witness something similar with Houston gaining at New Orleans expense. Who is to blame for the disaster? Look no further than every mayor of New Orleans and Governor of Louisiana since 1930. We have known since the early part of the last century New Orleans couldn't withstand a major Hurricane, yet the politicians did nothing. To blame President Bush for this is without logic. Look at the facts of this situation and the past and current leaders of the state of Louisiana are to blame.

One final note, upon the drive south along I-49, I came across several convoys of National Guard and out of 60+ vehicles only 1 was a post WWII vehicle. The convoys were driving at around 45 miles per hour and 2 of them were stopped along the highway doing repairs to their broken down WWII era trucks. On the other side of the spectrum there was the FEMA & Army Corp of Engineer vehicles. Ran across probably 30-40 of these vehicles and they were all brand new. Doubt a single one was more then 6 months old. I have a serious problem with this. First of all FEMA is not doing a very good job with the refugees in New Orleans and were caught off-guard by this disaster. They should have been ready for this and the Corp of Engineers is responsible for the original design of the levees. Secondly, there is total chaos inside New Orleans with looters both civilian and law enforcement from last report and the National Guard is fixing their vehicles on the side of the highway? The Guard should have modern equipment and be able to respond faster. Give the WWII era vehicles to the Corp and FEMA and the nice vehicles to the Guard so we can get control of the city today as opposed to tomorrow.

Bah...going to bed.

One additional point. This is a great study on how to deal with a nuclear blast should we get hit by the terrorists. I hope FEMA and the Corp are actually taking notes.

Check out the pics at www.genrxr.com

Tried to post pics here but did not work. Think there is too many.

Last edited by GenrXr on Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:01 am; edited 3 times in total
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report. We've been waiting to hear from you. Glad you made the trip ok.
Lots of dangerous road conditions to navigate.
Thanks for the first hand account.

Dusty
GenrXr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusty wrote:
Good report. We've been waiting to hear from you. Glad you made the trip ok.
Lots of dangerous road conditions to navigate.
Thanks for the first hand account.

Dusty

Thanks Dusty,

You are right about the dangerous part and would not recommend anyone going through these areas unless they have to. There is also the possibilty of 'Lord of The Flies' to set in as well. Hopefully, they are sending basic necessities down to these states. .
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to ya GenXr! Happy to keep my distance.

I know what you're saying about equipment. I was impressed how reserve units had state of the art for their weekend get-to-gethers while us active duty used the obsolete. Still, they geared those 6x6s for 50 mph travel speed until the Hummer showed up.

The 20mm would be helpful about now. A second lens would be an 85mm.

Venice sits on a previous millenium of loot, with grand engineering in progress just hoping to avoid what hit New Orleans. Venice was founded by latins hiding in the swamps from goth invaders. Curious, how many undocumented aliens collect social services there.

Babylon the greastest city on the planet for over two thousand years liked to destroy downstreamers by flooding. Like the Mississippi the Tigris carried and dropt silt that built natural levees higher than the surrounding countryside. Easy it was to discombobulate them. Break a dike and bash a neighbor! Babylon was left high, dry, and abandoned when the Tigris picked up and moved twenty miles to a new channel.

People deserve help. Louisianna and New Orleans need to be scrubbed.

-Wlm Shakespeare
GenrXr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
Break a dike and bash a neighbor!

That line is too good. Twisted Evil
Armybrat/Armymom
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
I know what you're saying about equipment. I was impressed how reserve units had state of the art for their weekend get-to-gethers while us active duty used the obsolete.

My formerly weekend warrior son who is now in Iraq trained on obsolete equipment. They got the crap broken down equipment. That is not to say that it's okay for FEMA etc to drive around in their hardly used for real emergencies vehicles.

Sad to say but we really look like a bunch of fools to the rest of the world.
Hopefully we have learned a big lesson from this debacle and people will not build homes in dangerous areas, take more of the self responsibility for ones own safety and actions, and that State and Federal Government will actually do what they are set up to do instead of political advantages for their own personal gains and on and on.

Thanks GenrXr for your photos. It makes it even more personal.

Seeing all the devastation on the TV and internet is so heartbreaking that I find myself watching less and less because I cannot do anything and I cry everytime when I see their pain, hopelessness and desperation.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armybrat/Armymom wrote:
I B Squidly wrote:
I know what you're saying about equipment. I was impressed how reserve units had state of the art for their weekend get-to-gethers while us active duty used the obsolete.

My formerly weekend warrior son who is now in Iraq trained on obsolete equipment. They got the crap broken down equipment. That is not to say that it's okay for FEMA etc to drive around in their hardly used for real emergencies vehicles.

Sad to say but we really look like a bunch of fools to the rest of the world.
Hopefully we have learned a big lesson from this debacle and people will not build homes in dangerous areas, take more of the self responsibility for ones own safety and actions, and that State and Federal Government will actually do what they are set up to do instead of political advantages for their own personal gains and on and on.

Thanks GenrXr for your photos. It makes it even more personal.

Seeing all the devastation on the TV and internet is so heartbreaking that I find myself watching less and less because I cannot do anything and I cry everytime when I see their pain, hopelessness and desperation.

I agree about us looking like fools and really think this whole operation should have been handled by the military and the worlds greatest minds in this sort of thing (Halliburton) from the start. But because the left has demonized both of them we are seeing the result of the lefts war on America.
Armybrat/Armymom
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="GenrXrI agree about us looking like fools and really think this whole operation should have been handled by the military and the worlds greatest minds in this sort of thing (Halliburton) from the start. But because the left has demonized both of them we are seeing the result of the lefts war on America.[/quote]

Part of what aggravates me (and a lot does anymore) is that some of these nincompoops will not take responsibility for their part in this whole mess. Nincompoops meaning those who are so self righteous and point their fingers at everybody else and not include themselves in being part of the problem. Which then of course makes coming up with any common sense solutions a real impossibility.

What scares me is that we are so ripe for a one world government. If some glib tongued world leader came in and was able to get this mess cleared up in a miraculous fashion then they (the nincompoops) would hand over the keys to the country. (Sorry for the soapboxing)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: