SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Search & Rescue assistance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastrock
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Search & Rescue assistance Reply with quote

I ask the admins to allow my message on the boards tho they may not fulfil the perquisites for the board.
I’m with a nationwide company which has created it’s own Corporate Emergency Response Teams (CERT) at it’s facilities throughout the country. We get annual training from LA Fire Dept members on search and rescue, triage, first-aid, etc. The company today donated $5M for relief efforts. I’ve made a pre-lim pitch to our local national manager with the idea of sending a team of volunteers to New Orleans in 2 weeks or when needed to S&R the tens of thousands of homes that have been flooded. I have no delusions here, I realize this will be gruesome, ghoulish work. We have three large facilities in the Cincinnati area with smaller ones in KC and Chicago. I hope to get 4 additional volunteers to join me from these facilities. Each facility has a sea-tac trailer of med and rescue equipment.

I have Labor Day weekend to put together a viable proposal for my manager to lobby for corporate approval of additional company assets, legal dept to provide company waivers in the event we are injured or worst, and probably hundreds of additional incidentals I’ve not thought of.

What I request are ideas on establishing contacts with agencies to establish a plan. I’ve done web-searches for info, but I predict the email I sent FEMA will result in a response long after there is a need for us.

I would appreciate any assistance or suggestions. Contact by email, if you would rather talk, email your phone # with windows of time to call and I will do so.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most perplexing and frustrating aspects of this disaster is marrying the means up with the ways. Good luck in your efforts.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Line up boats to work from. Flat bottom, shallow draft boats. Maybe some Marine dealers in Baton Rouge.
Line up fuel supplies for the boat motors.
Get in touch with the Gov. of La. (lots of luck), the Mayor of New Orleans (again, lots of luck) and try to co-ordinate your efforts through them.
Failing that hook up which I imagine will fail to happen, hook up with the Natl. Guard command.
Bout all I can come up with.

Dusty
bigroof
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a noble effort.

keep us informed
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's a wonderful gesture - you are so right - this is going to be hell, but to be able to offer families something of their missing relatives is, indeed a noble effort.

I have no advice to offer - just my prayers. Good luck and God bless your work and your company for this endeavor!

Please keep us informed, okay?
fastrock
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Search & Rescue Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouraging words from everyone. I’ve found a website (https://volunteer.hhs.gov/) which looks promising. They are not currently looking for S&R assistance, but they still have homes under water and fixing the NO levee breaches. Once they start emptying NO, they will need those with our skills.

I continue to ask, if someone comes across a site where S&R is being organized, PLEASE pass on to me.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note...

Quote:
Door-To-Door Search Could Take Weeks
Sep 04 7:15 PM US/Eastern

By LOLITA C. BALDOR
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

Rescuers have plucked tens of thousands of terrified residents from the rooftops of their homes in New Orleans and along the Gulf Coast, capturing what may be the bulk of the survivors in readily visible locations. Now the more difficult door-to-door scouring begins, and it could take weeks, if not months.

"I would like to believe that we are on the back side of this tremendous hump," Air Force Maj. Gen. Marvin S. "Scott" Mayes, leader of the air component for the military task force operating in the hurricane-ravaged region, said Sunday. "But now comes the grunt work of the search and rescue, now we're getting to the hard part. It will go on for some time."

Mayes, in a telephone interview, said the military is now going door- to-door, by foot or by boat, in many of the harder to reach sections of New Orleans and more remote areas of Mississippi and the region. And he said he hopes it won't take months.

Rescuers will "now have to find the people who have hunkered down," he said, in what he called a continuing rescue mission _ not yet simply a recovery of bodies.

SanFran Chronicle - cont'd
fastrock
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: quick update Reply with quote

got a big thanks but not needed from MEMA (Mississippi). No response from NOLA or LEMA, Blanco must be too busy whining or finding additional whine opportunities.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why am I not surprised by the La. lack of response to offers of help?

Dusty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: