SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Red Cross kept out of NO by Louisiana Homeland Security
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Red Cross kept out of NO by Louisiana Homeland Security Reply with quote

Red cross has told a reporter that they were on the ground with food and water to enter New Orleans to help the starving and dehydrated people in shelters. But the State office of Homeland Security stopped them saying they did not the people to want to stay there and did not want the Superdome to become a magnet for others to come there. Oh geesh! Who is that idiot making that kind of decision? The media keeps saying it is Homeland Security to blame when it is actually the State office which is not controlled by the federal government.

http://www.hendersonvillenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050905/NEWS/509050340/1048/ARCHIVES14

September 04. 2005 11:14PM
"The state Homeland Security Department had requested, and continues to request, that the American Red Cross not come back into New Orleans
following the hurricane," according to the release. "Our presence would keep people from evacuating and encourage others to come into the city."

FYI- The web site of the Louisiana Homeland Security.
http://www.loep.state.la.us/agencyrelated/aboutagency.htm

It clearly states it is a STATE office.

The Louisiana Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (LHLS & EP); formally the Louisiana Office of Emergency Preparedness (LOEP), was created by the Civil Act of 1950 and is under the Louisiana Military Department. In 1976 LHLS & EP via the Louisiana government reorganization, was moved to the Department of Public Safety (DPS). In 1990 LHLS & EP was transferred again to the Military Department. In 2003 the Agency name was changed to the Louisiana Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness, reflecting the additional responsibilities to the State and her citizens.
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an important story, thanks for posting it!
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the American Red Cross site:

Disaster FAQs
Hurricane Katrina: Why is the Red Cross not in New Orleans?

~snip~
"Acess to New Orleans is controlled by the National Guard and local authorities and while we are in constant contact with them, we simply cannot enter New Orleans against their orders.

The state Homeland Security Department had requested--and continues to request--that the American Red Cross not come back into New Orleans following the hurricane. Our presence would keep people from evacuating and encourage others to come into the city."

http://www.redcross.org/faq/0,1096,0_682_4524,00.html#4524
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I have to say about this is unprintable.

Dusty
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very important that people understand that Louisiana "Homeland Security" is not a federal office. And that the National Guard is directed by the Governor and Louisiana. When the casual news viewer hears Homeland Security and National Guard they think Federal control and the President running the show. I know this group is better informed but you still get your information from the media who is not so well informed.

Tanya wrote:
From the American Red Cross site:

Disaster FAQs
Hurricane Katrina: Why is the Red Cross not in New Orleans?

~snip~
"Acess to New Orleans is controlled by the National Guard and local authorities and while we are in constant contact with them, we simply cannot enter New Orleans against their orders.

The state Homeland Security Department had requested--and continues to request--that the American Red Cross not come back into New Orleans following the hurricane. Our presence would keep people from evacuating and encourage others to come into the city."

http://www.redcross.org/faq/0,1096,0_682_4524,00.html#4524
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TRUTH will always come out! Well informed Americans no longer rely just on the MSM for data. Just like with the Rather Fake Documents situation, the 'net and blogosphere are here to stay to counter the BS from the MSM.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but I don't think any of the MSM have reported this story but FOX. It seems like last year all over again.
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And tonight I heard one of the CNN "reporters" saying that Homeland Security [the feds] turned back the Red Cross. They are intellectually lazy and don't check out the facts. I don't think they know there is a difference.

Anker-Klanker wrote:
I may be wrong, but I don't think any of the MSM have reported this story but FOX. It seems like last year all over again.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohio Voter wrote:
And tonight I heard one of the CNN "reporters" saying that Homeland Security [the feds] turned back the Red Cross. They are intellectually lazy and don't check out the facts. I don't think they know there is a difference.

Oh they know the difference. They do it on purpose. They have an agenda to propagate to the public and little omissions and half truths help them do it.
These people didn't get where they are by being dumb. Very misguided, but not dumb.

Dusty
biker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohio Voter wrote:

Anker-Klanker wrote:
CNN likes to mislead. They depend on people believing everything they say.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FEMA is an aging organization that passes out funds with little or no oversight. This is another example of the inefficiencies bred into the Federal system of emergency response.

To effectively manage a large man-made or natural disaster Congress must pass legislation that establishes one process owner for the overall management of any National Emergency/Disaster.

FEMA should be abolished, removed from the political Homeland Security Agency and a Federal Emergency Response Team FERT) established to respond as directed by the President. The makeup of this organization should be mostly prior military Officers and NCOs who have experience in working large relief operations under austere conditions. NO POLITICAL APPOINTMENTS!

This team would take over operational control of major disaster areas or incidents and all resources would be under their control to direct where needed when needed. Law enforcement, the Guard, Fire Protection, Medical Services, Communications, Power, Water, Transportation, Supply, Logistics and other related organizations are all Federalized under command of FERT for the duration of the operation.

States should be required to establish Emergency Action Plans approved by FERT and to conduct annual Emergency Response Exercises to test integration. Civil Defense is dead as we knew it in the fifties and sixties and it should be resurrected NOW to involve the local populations in emergency preparedness and response.

When you get an elected “leader” or Political Appointee you get what you vote for, sometimes good, many times bad. Put a solid Retired General in charge you get experience and the ability to operate under fire. Throw in some other retired military officers and NCOs and you get control over emergency response.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantom you silly guy.

They got a bird because their wife f**ked someone. They make General 'cause they f**ked someone's wife.

I watched the guy die. He sank right here! If the sharks don't need eat him he'll float in 3 or 4 days. No! A 3Star shows up to assign us all SAR zones with geometrical (strawberry) precision. It's 20' seas, we're out of sight, out of radio range, we've several broken bones in our small boat, and "No media attention is anticipated nor desired!"

Expecting surety against acts of God denies the Almighty. Belive me, there is an Almighty!

-Wlm Shakespeare
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Water. Reply with quote

Must be something in the water.
kman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Hell just froze over.

Some guy named Tom Foreman from CNN did a piece last night on the holding back of FEMA/Red Cross supplies by State officials. He referred to it as "potentially explosive". He specifically said it was a STATE Homeland Security Department decision. Didn't name the guy, but showed his face. White guy. Rut roh.

Foreman’s piece was REALLY hard on the Governor and the Mayor, showing clips of each blaming the other. "Paralyzing indecision" was how Foreman said experts characterized the state and local response--or lack thereof.

Anyways, at least SOMEONE at CNN is paying attention.

Anyone else watching Aaron Brown on CNN? Fox is in re run mode then, so I started watching him. Seems level-headed enough.

Kurt
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Well Hell just froze over.

Some guy named Tom Foreman from CNN did a piece last night on the holding back of FEMA/Red Cross supplies by State officials. He referred to it as "potentially explosive". He specifically said it was a STATE Homeland Security Department decision. Didn't name the guy, but showed his face. White guy. Rut roh.

Foreman’s piece was REALLY hard on the Governor and the Mayor, showing clips of each blaming the other. "Paralyzing indecision" was how Foreman said experts characterized the state and local response--or lack thereof.

Anyways, at least SOMEONE at CNN is paying attention.

Anyone else watching Aaron Brown on CNN? Fox is in re run mode then, so I started watching him. Seems level-headed enough.

Kurt

Well that guy is fired.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: