SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Purple Hearts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConradV
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Purple Hearts Reply with quote

Hey Guys-

My father was a Vietnam Vet (he passed away several years ago) but he never really talked much about the time he was there. I do know he was awarded a Purple Heart, my mother keeps it on display in the china cabinet. My concern is this; your charges that Kerry did not deserve his Purple Hearts give the impression that they gave the Purple Hearts out like lollipops at the doctor's office. I just do not want the American public getting that impression. Do you run the risk of having the public questioning the thousands of vets who came home with Purple Hearts? I just hope your effort doesn't backfire and cause peolpe to question other vets who were awarded this medal.

Conrad V
waltjones
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, ConradV, and let's hope that doesn't happen, but there's a whole bunch of other stuff for Kerry to worry about! The Purple Heart Hunter is just one chapter of the book - can't wait for my copy! Semper Fi!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Conrad,

No, as a rule a Purple Heart was given for an injury resulting from enemy action. Calling one specific person's awards into question does not devalue everyone else's. They weren't ordinarily given out like candy.

Kerry devalued his by tossing them over the fence at a White House protest. He only valued them again when it was politically expedient to do so - he had them hanging on the wall of his office after the anti-military atmosphere had settled down, somewhat.

What the Swifts are calling into question is mainly Kerry's first PH. It was denied by CDR Hibbard and then apparently re-submitted by Kerry with his next Commanding Officer and somehow, it got through the second time.

And none of his PH's were for wounds that needed hospitalization. There's funny stuff going on with the other two awards, too.

Shenanigans.

I can't wait to read "Unfit For Command" and see exactly what it is that is not sitting right.

Your father's PH was, in all likelihood, completely earned and recommended through proper channels and your mother is keeping it in a place of honor as it fully deserves.

I'm sorry about the loss of your father. I've lost mine, too and it's never easy. Treasure that purple heart - it's recognition to be proud of.
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Purple Hearts Reply with quote

ConradV wrote:

Do you run the risk of having the public questioning the thousands of vets
who came home with Purple Hearts? I just hope your effort doesn't backfire
and cause people to question other vets who were awarded this medal.

Conrad V ....

The problem "is" that Kerry's ficticious self-submissions for Purple hearts
already dishonor the thousands of other Veterans, of all wars not just in
Vietnam, who "earned" their awards as documented by others. Requesting
a GWS (George Washington "Special" ... one of the most respected of all
awards} for the kinds of trivial injuries that Kerry himself admits occurred,
and over the objections, or without the knowledge, of his superior officers,
needs to be disputed as gross exaggerations in the strongest way possible.

Please go to the "sticky" part of this discussion group and read the words
of Joe Ponder ... who struggled to get to the microphone on crutches at
the news conference on May 4, 2004. Then read his account in Chapter 3
of "Unfit for Command" - in the section "The dinner that did not happen"
- to discover how Joe was severely wounded but also how Kerry cavalierly
exaggerated a made-up story of the facts of the incident to "prove" that
his false accusations of abuses by the military leadership were justified.

......................... http://pcf45.com/UnfilCh3[1].pdf ............................

"... cause people to question other vets who were awarded this medal?"

It is Kerry that is doing that. We are just trying to correct his "faux heroism"

The many, many Veterans who proudly display their GWS's deverve no less.

Last edited by rbshirley on Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad,

The question we have is whether or not the PH's Kerry was awarded were obtained honorably. His entire command structure, including Lewis Letson, the Doctor that treated him for the first PH disagree.

Self-promotion for awards and specifically the PH is beneath contempt to those of us that have earned ours "honorably" and to all veterans.

The question is: Were Kerry's PH awards, at least #1 and #3, honorable.

If they were not not, as many of Kerry's peers are saying, honorably achieved they're lolipops. That's exactly what we're trying to achieve. Honor!

I have one Purple Heart, honorably earned in Vietnam. I also have a self-inflicted injury incurred in Vietnam that would have given me a 2nd award if I were dishonorable.

The award is honorable. Sometimes the men who wear and promote them are not. Read the book and think about John Kerry......

Last edited by ASPB on Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad from first impression I gleaned your father was probably enlisted and as such do not worry it was much deserved. The issue is when officers submit applications for their own medals. The military has always run on the honor system and I have been arguing with my brother about this for the lasy 2 days. He believes no officer would ever be given a medal without review and I have argued NO they would definately ship through medals for officers if they are being lazy. They being the system at the time of trusting the officers word. We as a nation need to start being accountable for our actions or we will end up with a monster in the white house! We must demand great people for great office!

BTW Conrad when you look at that medal be proud!
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget, Kerry wasn't too impressed with his own medals when he claimed they were his he threw back over the White House fence, years ago. Of course, we now know they weren't his at all, but he gave everyone the impression they were.

Most PH recipients I know don't brag about getting them. As one guy I work with that received one 3 weeks in country says, it only shows he forgot to duck. That's not a slam against PH recipients, just his way of laughing it off.

Some there did seek the PH to wear as a badge of honor, or something. Most didn't. That your Dad didn't tell wild stories or brag he received one shows he earned his, the hard way. That Kerry has continually used his 3 to further his political career, tells me he didn't.
ConradV
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for answering so quickly. I appreciate everyone's point of view but I am still uneasy with questioning anyone's military service or medals...isn't that what Kerry did when he came back from Vietnam. I think there are so many other things to nail him on with his voting record and all. Anyway, good luck with the ad and, again, I hope it is the right thing to do.

Conrad
inlikeflint
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I did not realize the Navy was so lax on awards... Do they do this with promotions too?

All you have to do is submit the papers and you get an award? I get the feeling that Kerry was not liked in his first unit... Man, in the Army you at least have to jump through a few hoops to get an award.

Did Kerry not get along with these other officers that claimed they served with him in his first unit?

Something is not right... I am just doing my JAFO thing... I think I'm on to figuring this out.

IF Kerry's medals are all worthless, I think there should be a major investigation into the backgrounds of everyone who claims they served with him... If Kerry is so bad, then I am guessing that the rest of who served with him is just as bad. I wonder if DOD can take back awards and citations?

-I bet they can garnish retirement pay... Yep! Investigation. If one is wrong, they're all wrong... That's the military way! (Damn I miss the military!)

Bosnia 95-96 Z.O.S. Mutants -Too much butter to list.

ACLU member
VFW member
joppa
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I hope you guys are right in your claims. If it turns out that the "swiftboatveterans for truth" turns out to be nothing but a politically moviated pack of lies then you will have dishonored all Vietnam veterans. I am a 60 year old man who served during the Vietnam era although I didnt go to Nam. I am more inclined to believe the men who were actually with Kerry in his swift boat than the people in your ad who made assertions about Kerry's service. Those assertions if not backed up by facts will be the undoing of your group. I sincerely hope this is not the case.

I have read most of the information on the internet concerning this issue and it appears that this attack on Kerry is sponsered by the same people who attacked John Mcain. I deplore everything about this election cycle. We have Michael Moore with his F9/11 bashing Bush but at least he has references where he got his info posted on his website.

Once again I state if this ad turns out to be a pack of lies then the people who participated in this ad are accountable legally and morally for their statements. Your ad implies that the men who were actually on the boat with Kerry are also liers. In trying to discredit Kerry you have discredited all the men who served with Kerry on his boat. Time will tell if this ad helps or hurts Bush in his relection bid.

Kerry had the right to oppose the war in Vietnam but he was dead wrong in asserting the war crimes he and the men in Vietnam may have committed while on their tour of duty. This is the issue that should have been attacked not his actual service records. I am afraid your group may have bitten the wrong dog. If the men in your ad cannot produce verfiable evidence that their statement are true and are only relying on "hear say" then these men will have dishonored themselves and our great country and your efforts will backfire and the backlash will only aid Kerry in his bid for president.

I will hold my final judgement until all the facts have been presented. I plan to buy the book that is coming out and will check all the facts out before I make any judgements concerning the veracity for this issue. Thank you for allowing me to voice my opinion on this disturbing issue and feel free to e-mail me. My eyesight is failing so I limit my time on the internet but this election is too important for our nation and as my profile states I seek the truth. My decision as to who I will vote for will be based on what I preceive to be the truth.
inlikeflint
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Joppa 100%.

ACLU member
VFW member
Grampa
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joppa wrote:
First, I hope you guys are right in your claims. If it turns out that the "swiftboatveterans for truth" turns out to be nothing but a politically moviated pack of lies then you will have dishonored all Vietnam veterans. I am a 60 year old man who served during the Vietnam era although I didnt go to Nam. I am more inclined to believe the men who were actually with Kerry in his swift boat than the people in your ad who made assertions about Kerry's service. Those assertions if not backed up by facts will be the undoing of your group. I sincerely hope this is not the case.

I have read most of the information on the internet concerning this issue and it appears that this attack on Kerry is sponsered by the same people who attacked John Mcain. I deplore everything about this election cycle. We have Michael Moore with his F9/11 bashing Bush but at least he has references where he got his info posted on his website.

Once again I state if this ad turns out to be a pack of lies then the people who participated in this ad are accountable legally and morally for their statements. Your ad implies that the men who were actually on the boat with Kerry are also liers. In trying to discredit Kerry you have discredited all the men who served with Kerry on his boat. Time will tell if this ad helps or hurts Bush in his relection bid.

Kerry had the right to oppose the war in Vietnam but he was dead wrong in asserting the war crimes he and the men in Vietnam may have committed while on their tour of duty. This is the issue that should have been attacked not his actual service records. I am afraid your group may have bitten the wrong dog. If the men in your ad cannot produce verfiable evidence that their statement are true and are only relying on "hear say" then these men will have dishonored themselves and our great country and your efforts will backfire and the backlash will only aid Kerry in his bid for president.

I will hold my final judgement until all the facts have been presented. I plan to buy the book that is coming out and will check all the facts out before I make any judgements concerning the veracity for this issue. Thank you for allowing me to voice my opinion on this disturbing issue and feel free to e-mail me. My eyesight is failing so I limit my time on the internet but this election is too important for our nation and as my profile states I seek the truth. My decision as to who I will vote for will be based on what I preceive to be the truth.

When you serve in the same unit as someone, you find out what kind of person he is. Someone wouldn't have to serve on the same boat to know Kerrys character, but would merely have to be in the same Squadron or within his COC to find out or to know how that person is, especially an officer, becuase they stand out.

Example: I served in Iraq in a Company. We had two Platoon Leader LTs who were incompetent. EVERYONE in the Company, whether they served in the LTs platoons or not, knew that they were incompetent. Conversely, we knew who the performers were too. This stuff stands out. If, in 30 years, one of them decides to run for CINC and touts his Iraqi Service as a sign of his leadership competence, I will be running a website much like this one to expose them.

It is telling that the majority of sailors who were in Kerry Swiftboat Squadron, or who had a supervisory role over him, say that he was reckless and irresponsible.

To say that those who didn't sit in the same boat as him can not accurately judge his professionalism and competence is simply not true.

Veterans who are honest know better.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joppa wrote:
. I am a 60 year old man who served during the Vietnam era although I didnt go to Nam.

We have Michael Moore with his F9/11 bashing Bush but at least he has references where he got his info posted on his website.

Once again I state if this ad turns out to be a pack of lies then the people who participated in this ad are accountable legally and morally for their statements.

I will hold my final judgement until all the facts have been presented.

My decision as to who I will vote for will be based on what I preceive to be the truth.

Just a couple of comments and questions.

Your concerns are valid. Since you saw the ad, you know that a lot of them are 60 years old or thereabouts. Do you really think the men in the ad would risk their reputations at this stage in their lives for a lie? Which one of them participated in attacks on John McCain in 2000?

Did Michael Moore's "references" keep him from telling despicable lies or distorting what little truth was left?

You mentioned "accountable legally" in this post and the possibility of a DNC lawsuit and accountability by testimony in another. These men who have placed their credibility on the line are, I'm sure , well aware of the risks. What is the basis of your concerns?

At this late date... why are you "undecided" at all? Have you always been undecided or did something happen recently to put you on the fence?
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joppa wrote:
Kerry had the right to oppose the war in Vietnam but he was dead
wrong in asserting the war crimes he and the men in Vietnam may
have committed while on their tour of duty. This is the issue that
should have been attacked not his actual service records

I will hold my final judgement until all the facts have been presented

inlikeflint wrote:
I agree with Joppa 100%.

Do you really think this advertisement is the only chapter in this discussion?

"Unfit for Command" will hit the book stores by this time next week.

Just a few chapter headings from the pre-released section of the book:

o War Crimes

o Kerry' Anti-war Secrets

o Kerry's Communist Honors

o Unfit for Command

With approximately sixty documents and affidavits sent out with this first ad,
you can take it to the bank that the book will be backed up by the same type
of reference material. As will the follow on ads addressing Kerry's 70's activity.

Again: Be careful what you ask for. Because you surely will receive it.

inlikeflint
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpro wrote:

At this late date... why are you "undecided" at all? Have you always been undecided or did something happen recently to put you on the fence?

This late in the campaign to reveal this kind of information has me in question. If there is any truth to this, then why was this not brought up while he was beginning in politics? It's kind of like letting a wound fester. The wound does not get better by saying it will go away over night.

By saying that he is unfit for president, you are also saying he is unfit for any kind of political position. Evidently his track record says different...

Okay- Defend! Defend!

ACLU member
VFW member
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: