SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DAN RATHER STILL SAYS MEMO "ACCURATE"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: DAN RATHER STILL SAYS MEMO "ACCURATE" Reply with quote

In an interview with fellow liberal MSM traveler Marvin Kalbe, disgraced former SeeBS anchor Dan Rather maintains that 60 Minutes' fabricated attack piece on President Bush is "accurate". I hope for Dan-o's sake his SeeBS retirement benefits include a mental health carve-out. Laughing Laughing
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin thought the story was accurate too.

Some one said it was like watching a stegosaur and a brontosaur arguing the importance of the meteor that fell last week.

-Wlm Shakespeare
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were probably both briefed aboard Calypso Louie's mothership.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take this stuff very, very seriously, and prepare for the next round against sKerry.

The New Age Journalism is: "don't bother with the facts, it's the conclusion that counts." Stated one way or another, that is, in fact, the new theme song of MSM.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:
Take this stuff very, very seriously, and prepare for the next round against sKerry.

The New Age Journalism is: "don't bother with the facts, it's the conclusion that counts." Stated one way or another, that is, in fact, the new theme song of MSM.

Anker
That bears repeating...loudly and often!
But now, thanks to Michael Brown, we know who their
"unnamed source" is.....HorsesA$$.com

That's where they got the fake Michael Brown resume that circulated among the AP, Reuters, and all the other 'fake' news outlets (ie, MSM).

Deuce
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch out for the snake pit in travis county texas, found on billhobbs:

Quote:
Well, well.... More follow up.

Ronnie Earle is the Travis County (Austin, Texas) district attorney.

http://www.co.travis.tx.us/district_attorney/default.asp

Here is a page from his old campaign website:

http://www.ronnieearle.com/calendar.html

Note the following names:

Sponsored By:

Mayor Kirk Watson
Hon. Ben Barnes
Lowell Lebermann
Robin Rather

This event was in October, 2000! I'm just doodling around the Internet and this is what I've found without trying. Nowhere did Rather mention any of this during or after his Barnes interview, did he?
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick ME--ME--ME, I think i've heard this before, I voted for the 82 blah-blah, just before I voted agianst the blah-blah. Wink
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:

Hasn't this been the case since Vietnam?

Quote:
snake pit

shivers... I still have nightmares about the snakepit from bootcamp :O
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MrJapan"]
Anker-Klanker wrote:

Quote:
Hasn't this been the case since Vietnam?

I learned in grade school it's been the case since around James Madison's era (1809). It became visible in the late 1800's with "Yellow Journalism". It was never very obvious (to me at least) until VietNam. I wonder if that means people began waking up (or paying attention), if the tactics changed, or the medium changed.
My opinion is the medium changed: that was the first 'living room war' for the country. Like a lot of us in this forum, I had a ringside seat ... and was surprised to discover that what I thought I was seeing and what the public thought it was seeing were opposite sides of the coin. That's still the case with Iraq veterans (my son included) today.

At any rate, I don't see much difference between Yellow Journalism and New Age Journalism ... the delivery method has advanced with technology, and that's about all.

<EDIT>: try this link: http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAyellow.htm

... look at the cartoon supplied. All you've got to do is substitute names and organizations for present-day situations, and you should see my reasoning and why I arrive at the conclusion.
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooooooo, Ronnie Earle could be the "reliable source" that gave the doctored documents to Rather?

msindependent wrote:
watch out for the snake pit in travis county texas, found on billhobbs:

Quote:
Well, well.... More follow up.

Ronnie Earle is the Travis County (Austin, Texas) district attorney.

http://www.co.travis.tx.us/district_attorney/default.asp

Here is a page from his old campaign website:

http://www.ronnieearle.com/calendar.html

Note the following names:

Sponsored By:

Mayor Kirk Watson
Hon. Ben Barnes
Lowell Lebermann
Robin Rather

This event was in October, 2000! I'm just doodling around the Internet and this is what I've found without trying. Nowhere did Rather mention any of this during or after his Barnes interview, did he?
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At any rate, I don't see much difference between Yellow Journalism and New Age Journalism ... the delivery method has advanced with technology, and that's about all.

Sure, yellow journalism has been around a long time. What's different? Mass media controlled by people with one political agenda.

Many years ago newspapers were the source of news. Even very small towns had their own newspaper, sometimes more than one. You didn't have to go far to find another point-of-view. Over the years we've witnessed the slow consolidation of all news and points-of-view into just a few sources. My own Dallas Morning News uses as its sources for about 99% of what it calls "news" the AP and the NYT (I've learned to look carefully at the by-lines), with an occasional story by Knight-Ridder (every bit as bad). There is no competing paper; there's not even any choice. It's almost as bad on TV (where if you've learned to recognize the source of the story from the newspaper by line, you can recognize the source of the TV news to be exactly the same).

Last year during the elections we witnessed two big fabrications in the news cycle: the "Liars-Liars-Liars!" attack on the Swiftees, and the debunking of Dan Rather's "evidence." We never did really defeat the first, but at least got enough information "out there" to plant the seeds of doubt. On the second, it was the bloggers that largely discredited Rather's vendetta. That last may not happen again; if MSM does not even pretend to a facade of truthfulness, and there is no check-and-balance alternative, hence no obligation to even correct "errors," then truth becomes the casualty.

If you watched carefully during the Katrina hog-wallowing of MSM, they employed a new tactic: barrage fire. When you're getting hit left and right, 24/7 by propaganda, the technique of dissecting, and correcting every inaccuracy and lie is just too time consuming. By the time you're effectively done this for one point or issue, the MSM has hit you with another 100 loaded pieces of misinformation.

And when all this propaganda is seemingly coming from different sources - newspapers, TV news, "news" magazines, talk shows - all saying the same thing, then it has a reinforcing effect in the minds of those who don't have the time to do research, or who are not news junkies.

IMHO this is all very serious, and very new. TRUTH's champion is going to have to develop new tactics and weapons to counteract it.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the transcripts of Rathers Press club blathering I gleand this:

Quote:
Kalb: "Dan, thank you. You said, I believe you just said that you think the story is accurate."
Rather: "The story is accurate."
Kalb: "Okay."

# Kalb: "You have an opportunity now, I mean you're a reporter for 60 Minutes, that's a very important program. Would you go now and go back to that story and do it again and find the documentation that would in fact would prove what you believe to be the accuracy of that story?"
Rather: "Straight up. No chaser, no. One, CBS News doesn't want me to do that story, they wouldn't let me do that story."
Kalb: "Why?"
Rather: "Well that's a question you have to ask them. But I've moved on from it and I've done my best to put it behind me, I've, you know, taken my licks, taken my shots."

If rather had any integrity at all..... even the slightest bit of it, as a journalist he would be duty bound to resign his possition at CBS if they are refusing him to report any story he felt was accurate.

Seems to me these guys, Rather at the top of the heap are more interested in celbrity and basking in the limelight than they have any interest in getting at the truth.

Tell you what I'd like to see..... a report detailing each and every claim made by the swift vets compared and contrasted with a report on blathering rathers forged bush guard records.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post AK, and I might also add the dominance of "ratings" as a contemporary "shaper" of the news. Unfortunately it's bad news that sells and when a publisher or media ownership either encourages or ignores a leftward ideological bent in their collective "production" process, it's "bad news" 24/7 for the conservative perspective and that's "bad news" for their bottom lines.

Perhaps, long term, declining sales and revenue will eventually restore some needed "balance" to the production process but, short term at least, it appears that layoffs and downsizing is their interim "solution" to their ideologically based negative cash flows.
Armybrat/Armymom
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys and gals I have to come to Earle's defense. The Republican Party here in Texas did a 180 when they came into power and deserve to have their toes stepped on and chopped off if need be. The arrogance of this present Governor and his sidekicks is sickening. They have gone after the State Comptroller because she won't be a sheep and follow the partisan party line which is made up as those few in power decide. President Bush was a most excellent Texas Governor but Perry took all the goodwill the Republicans reaped and has now made staunch Republicans want to puke. Don't believe that this indictment is a Democrat ploy to mess with the Republicans. Earle has gone after Dems too.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine!

If the story's accurate, it shouldn't be any problem to come up with some "unforged" documents to prove it. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: