SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ACLU strikes a blow for 'Liberty'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: ACLU strikes a blow for 'Liberty' Reply with quote

A New York liberal judge (Clinton appointee) has found in favor of the ACLU in a suit to release all of the remaining Abu Ghraib photographs. This in spite of a plea from the Chairman, Joint Chiefs that to do so would unquestionably endanger American lives.

I've never seen O'Reilly so torqued - and rightfully so.

Schadow
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can somebody tell me where this Judge has any jurisdiction in this matter? The DOD should just tell this clown "No Way". Where is our leadership????
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
Can somebody tell me where this Judge has any jurisdiction in this matter? The DOD should just tell this clown "No Way". Where is our leadership????

Apparently, the Pentagon was the defendant in the case and was represented by its own lawyers. What ever happened to the legend that one could not sue the Government?

Surely the pictures are embargoed pending appeal. I hope it gets to the Supremes on a fast track. If they uphold the decision, the ballgame's over. I mean - really over.

Schadow
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Commander in Chief, Bush could squash the release for reasons of national security. I would only hope that he's thought of it. The Kerry croud does not need more fuel.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
As Commander in Chief, Bush could squash the release for reasons of national security.

Seems like Bush could just have ordered Rumsfeld to classify the pictures Top Secret - Code Access, throw them in the safe and not let anyone near them, e.g., Sandy Burglar.

There could be a problem with that, however. Now that the pictures are in the hands of the judiciary (it's reported that the judge personally looked at them) separation of powers considerations might come into play. I was doing a hasty search on the use of Executive Orders and, with the exception of Lincoln's suspension of habeas corpus during the Civil War, the judiciary has never been the target of Executive Orders (at least as far as I could determine.)

This is such an egregious flaunting of national security considerations in wartime, however, that bold moves are called for. I just can't understand how it got this far.

Schadow
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a squad of sheehannish mothers outside his court with bloody signs? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought humiliating photos of prisoners were a violation of the Geneva Convention?

-Wlm Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: