SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Libby Indicted??? Rove Still Faces Investigation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Libby Indicted??? Rove Still Faces Investigation Reply with quote

CBS News Gloria Borger is confirming Libby will be indicted today for giving false statement to Grand Jury.

Quote:
October 28, 2005
Cheney Aide Appears Likely to Be Indicted; Rove Under Scrutiny
By DAVID JOHNSTON
and RICHARD W. STEVENSON
WASHINGTON, Oct. 27 - Lawyers in the C.I.A. leak case said Thursday that they expected I. Lewis Libby Jr., Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, to be indicted on Friday, charged with making false statements to the grand jury.

Karl Rove, President Bush's senior adviser and deputy chief of staff, will not be charged on Friday, but will remain under investigation, people briefed officially about the case said. As a result, they said, the special counsel in the case, Patrick J. Fitzgerald, was likely to extend the term of the federal grand jury beyond its scheduled expiration on Friday.

As rumors coursed through the capital, Mr. Fitzgerald gave no public signal of how he intended to proceed, further intensifying the anxiety that has gripped the White House and left partisans on both sides of the political aisle holding their breath.

Mr. Fitzgerald's preparations for a Friday announcement were shrouded in secrecy, but advanced amid a flurry of behind-the-scenes discussions that left open the possibility of last-minute surprises. As the clock ticked down on the grand jury, people involved in the investigation did not rule out the disclosure of previously unknown aspects of the case.

White House officials said their presumption was that Mr. Libby would resign if indicted, and he and Mr. Rove took steps to expand their legal teams in preparation for a possible court battle.

Among the many unresolved mysteries is whether anyone in addition to Mr. Libby and Mr. Rove might be charged and in particular whether Mr. Fitzgerald would name the source who first provided the identity of a covert C.I.A. officer to Robert D. Novak, the syndicated columnist. Mr. Novak identified the officer in a column published July 14, 2003.

The investigation seemed to be taking an unexpectedly extended path after nearly two years in which Mr. Fitzgerald brought more than a dozen current and former administration officials before the grand jury and interviewed Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney to determine how the identity of the officer, Valerie Plame Wilson, became public.

Mr. Fitzgerald is expected to hold a news conference at the Justice Department in Washington on Friday. His spokesman, Randall Samborn, declined to comment.

Mr. Fitzgerald has examined whether the leak of Ms. Wilson's identity was part of an effort by the administration to respond to criticism of the White House by her husband, Joseph C. Wilson IV, a former diplomat. After traveling to Africa in 2002 on a C.I.A.-sponsored mission to look into claims that Iraq had sought to acquire material there for its nuclear weapons program, Mr. Wilson wrote in an Op-Ed article in The New York Times on July 6, 2003, that the White House had "twisted" the intelligence regarding the suspected transaction to justify the invasion of Iraq.

At the White House, the withdrawal of Harriet E. Miers as the president's nominee to the Supreme Court dominated the day. Still, officials waited anxiously for word about developments in the investigation, which has the potential to shape the remainder of Mr. Bush's second term.

Officials said that Mr. Bush, who traveled to Florida on Thursday to view the damage from Hurricane Wilma, would keep to his planned schedule on Friday, including a speech on terrorism in Norfolk, Va., if indictments were announced.

Administration officials said that the White House would seek to keep as low a profile as possible if indictments were issued; Scott McClellan, the White House press secretary, did not schedule a briefing for Friday, and Mr. Bush plans to leave in the afternoon for a weekend at Camp David.

With so much about the outcome of the case still in doubt, political strategists in Washington spent the day gaming out the implications of different endings.

The apparent delay in a decision about whether to charge Mr. Rove, and the continuation of the criminal inquiry, is a mixed outcome for the administration. It leaves open the possibility that Mr. Rove, Mr. Bush's closest and most trusted adviser, could avoid indictment altogether, an outcome that would be not just a legal victory but also the best political outcome the White House could hope for under the circumstances.

Yet, in apparently leaving Mr. Rove in legal limbo for now, Mr. Fitzgerald has left him and Mr. Bush to twist in the uncertainty of a case that has delved deep into the innermost workings of the White House and provided Democrats an opportunity to attack the administration's honesty and the way it justified the war to the American people.

Mr. Rove has had to step back from many of his public duties, including appearing at fund-raisers, and he is likely to have to keep a low profile as long as the investigation continues. It could also leave him distracted, depriving the White House of his full attention at a time when Mr. Bush is struggling to regain his political footing after months in which the bloody insurgency in Iraq, Hurricane Katrina and the failed Supreme Court nomination of Harriet E. Miers have left the administration stumbling.

An indictment of Mr. Libby, who is seen by many people in the White House as Mr. Cheney's alter ego, would also keep a focus on the way in which the administration built its case that Saddam Hussein was a threat who had to be dealt with. Any trial of Mr. Libby would likely shine a spotlight in particular on Mr. Cheney and his prewar role.

Mr. Fitzgerald has been closely examining the truthfulness of accounts given by Mr. Rove and Mr. Libby about their conversations with reporters about Ms. Wilson. As early as February 2004, two months after he was appointed, Mr. Fitzgerald obtained a specific written authorization from James B. Comey, the deputy attorney general who appointed him, permitting him to investigate efforts to mislead the inquiry.

The prosecutor has inquired how Mr. Libby and Mr. Rove first learned that Ms. Wilson was employed at the C.I.A. and whether the discussions were part of a deliberate effort to undermine the credibility of her husband, according to lawyers in the case. The lawyers declined to be named, citing Mr. Fitzgerald's request not to discuss the case.

Allies of Mr. Rove and Mr. Libby have hoped that Mr. Fitzgerald could be convinced that any misstatements were inadvertent and not intended to conceal their actions from prosecutors.

In addition, they have hoped that the prosecutor would conclude it would be difficult to convince a jury that Mr. Rove or Mr. Libby had a clear-cut motive to misinform the grand jury. Lawyers for the two men declined to comment on their legal status.

In Mr. Rove's case, the prosecutor appears to have focused on two conversations that Mr. Rove had with reporters. The first, on July 9, 2003, was with Mr. Novak. Mr. Rove told the grand jury that Mr. Novak mentioned Ms. Wilson and that was the first time he had heard Ms. Wilson's name.

Mr. Rove's second conversation took place on July 11, 2003, with Matthew Cooper, a reporter for Time magazine. Earlier this year, Mr. Cooper wrote that Mr. Rove did not name Ms. Wilson but told him that she worked at the C.I.A. and had been responsible for sending her husband to Africa.

In his first sessions with prosecutors, Mr. Rove did not disclose his phone conversation with Mr. Cooper, the lawyers said, though he disclosed from the start his conversation with Mr. Novak. The lawyers added that Mr. Rove did not recall the conversation with Mr. Cooper until the discovery of an e-mail note about the conversation that he had sent to Stephen J. Hadley, then the deputy national security adviser. But Mr. Fitzgerald has been skeptical about the omission, the lawyers said.

In Mr. Libby's case, Mr. Fitzgerald has focused on his statements about how he first learned of Ms. Wilson's identity. Early in the investigation, Mr. Libby turned over notes of a meeting with Mr. Cheney in June 2003 that indicated the vice president had told him about Ms. Wilson, the lawyers said.

But Mr. Libby told the grand jury that he learned of Ms. Wilson from reporters, lawyers involved in the case said. Reporters who are known to have talked to Mr. Libby have said that they did not provide him the name, could not recall what had been said or had discussed unrelated subjects.

New York Times
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a circus. Time to shut down the show. Joe Wilson is the fraud and the source. No crime committed so he has to manufacture one based on testimony or lack thereof.

Though no comparison, how many times did Hildebeast say I don't recall to the WHitewater GJ, then wrote her memoirs and seemed to remember quite a bit.

Last edited by GM Strong on Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fitzgerald to hold news conference
Oct 28, 9:29 AM (ET)
By Adam Entous

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The special counsel investigating the leak of a covert CIA operative's identity will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EDT on Friday to discuss the status of the probe, his office said in a statement.

The statement said information on the case will be available at noon.

The announcement came after the federal grand jury weighing criminal charges over the leak began meeting with special counsel Patrick Fitzgerald, with the expectation of criminal charges in the long-running investigation.

Legal sources said Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, Lewis Libby, appeared likely to be charged, and perhaps other officials also.

But legal sources said Fitzgerald had informed President George W. Bush's top political adviser, Karl Rove, that he will not be indicted on Friday, although he will remain under investigation and in legal jeopardy. Rove's attorney, Robert Luskin, had no immediate comment.

Reuters

I assume information/documents will be posted at Fitzgerald's new website:
http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/iln/osc/
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Libby Indicted??? Rove Still Faces Investigation Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
CBS News Gloria Borger is confirming Libby will be indicted today for giving false statement to Grand Jury.

Quote:
October 28, 2005
Cheney Aide Appears Likely to Be Indicted; Rove Under Scrutiny
By DAVID JOHNSTON
and RICHARD W. STEVENSON
WASHINGTON, Oct. 27 - Lawyers in the C.I.A. leak case said Thursday that they expected I. Lewis Libby Jr., Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, to be indicted on Friday, charged with making false statements to the grand jury....more See BS snipped.

New York Times

Anyone see the irony in CBS 'scooping' the indictments? whew
I guess 'making false statements to the grand jury' in this case means Libby's recollection of his conversation with Miller was different than Miller's recollection of her conversation with Libby!!!! Go figure! We have 2 witnesses to a conversation who remember different versions a year or so later! What a surprise Wink If nothing else this 'special prosecutor' should put the shine of Kangaroo Kourt on this nonsense concept. The original crime was 'outing an undercover CIA agent' based on a NY Times article by her husband!!! The indictment will be 'long term memory loss of 2 human beings'. The thought police will be in ecstasy over this one!

My 2 cents...the only question that need be asked is whether the CIA has been conducting (thru plame/wilson/Times/) a 'covert operation to bring down a sitting US president'??? Which by the way, will come out when this goes to court!

So, like Kerry's 'bring it on' w/regard to his lawsuits, the witness stand may find the truth come out in the end....assuming of course we can get the Supreme Court back up to a constitutional conservative majority!

Ok, rant over,
Deuce
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you Deuce!!! This is crap!!

Just thinking about what we all know about Wilson/Plame and that Fitzgerald has to be aware of it all!!

Wondering why Fitzgerald settles on these 5 weak charges against Libby!
Weak because there is NO indictment of the supposed underlying crime of leaking the name of a CIA agent!

If after 2 years, Fritz does not indict Wilson/Plame/and a number of reporters, he is obtuse!!

He needs to explain to us how Kristof and Pincus could write about Wilson in May and June, long before the JudyMiller/Libby conversations.

Then he needs to explain why there is no charges for the CIA/Media leaks attacking the White House. Fritz has a lot of explaining to do!!!

I'll be watching Fitzgerald's news conference at 2:00 pm.
But I don't expect the press will ask him any of the questions that I want answered!!!
joeshero
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reasonable human being can see the problem easily: that there is no wrong doing in this case. When you cannot prosecute the case, prosecute the process. After 2 years and $70 millions of investigation, this is what the special counsel can get. People said that Patrick is smart, I say that's myth, even a normal IQ individual does not take too long to conclude this case. If there is anything corrupt here is the prosecutor himself, who abuses the "unlimited" power given to him.

Power tends to corrupt. An old dictum.
GM Strong

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At about the time we are taking about it would seem that Libby was the only one who didn't know exactly who Plame was. In DC, most neighbors hardly know each other, much less what they do for a living, so why would they know where the witch worked. This woman was no undercover Spook.
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Un oil scandal report just came out and the Rich guy that Clinton pardoned, who's wife gave money to the Clinton libary, was in the report....
GM Strong

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denise Rich probably gave Slick Willy more than money. Marc Rich still has not come back into the US. Probably wise.
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your not implying that Bill Clinton, a man of honor, would cheat on his lovely wife...shame on you..
GM Strong

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rparrott21 wrote:
Your not implying that Bill Clinton, a man of honor, would cheat on his lovely wife...shame on you..

Depends on what you mean by cheat.
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food for thought;

Wilson whined and did a report about this, his wife being outed right, his wife whined and said that she had been outed as a covert operator right?
Well lets just look at her oath at the CIA, she is to never and I mean never admit to being an operative in doing so she would put the entire agency and their operations at risk. In doing so she just outed every operative that she has ever worked with. I think when this is over you will see more than Libby on trial. This is a clear and simple covert operation to take down a sitting US President, the CIA offered up a fish that has no use to them, Valerie Plame. Joe Wilson worked for Skerry on his campaign, do you smell fish here? Which leads us to the fact that she was not a covert agent at all, just a liberal puppet. If she was I expect an indictment on her for her crimes against our Govt. If she was covert and I had worked with her in the past, I would get out immediatly, the enemy now knows who they are. Semper Fi.
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilson is a lying SOS and will be shown to be when and if a trial comes up. The CIA itself in it's own Clintonoid incompetance "blew" Plame's cover in the mid-90s to the Russians and the Cubans when she was busy doing Lewinskis for Wilson. This is a revolting couple of self serving publicity whores for the Soros crowd.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A court trial doesn't matter. This was and is designed solely to embarras and bash the current administration and conservatives in general. All the sttements I have been hearing have Libby already convicted and executed, but in the court of public opinion.

The leftist media is having a field day with this and I can only guess which leftist will use it the most for the next election, Hitlery or sKerry.
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the hope expressed by several above that a public trial will allow the defense to expose the truth in this mess. I hope they can get the Wilsons on the stand, under oath. In the long run, those who have hoped and cheered for the present, temporary discomfort of the Administration, may wish that they had not gotten what they wished for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: