SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for you Military folk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjas77
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Question for you Military folk Reply with quote

Last week a bunch of Cindy supportered appearently were denied by officials to make a "statement" regarding the Iraq war on the gounds of Arlington National Cemetery...

Here's the jest of it:

Quote:
Secondly, Juan, Beatriz Saldivar, and Julie Cuniglio who have all had loved ones killed in this war had brought pictures of their dead loved ones with them to Arlington. We were told by the administration of the cemetery that they couldn't take the pictures into the cemetery because they were "political statements!!" We were stunned that pictures of our children that have been killed for lies and betrayals and for purely political reasons can't be shown in a cemetery that supposedly honors those who have served, some making the ultimate sacrifice in war. We are living in a state that kills our children then calls them political statements. That speaks volumes to the chicken hawks who we are allowing to ruin our country.

Ok...We don't know if their children are actually interned at Arlington, but my questions is did the official have the right to deny them?

I realize that Arlington is a National shrine, and I believe that it would be innapropriate for the anti war people to have such a stage in Arlington, but is it official policy to deny "statements" at Arlington National Cemetery?
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people buried at Arlington are not children. They are Marines, soldiers, sailors and airmen. It is sacred ground and there is every right to deny this kind of demonstration. They are free to go somewhere else. Their irreverence is a syptom of their corrosive leftist ideology. Free speech does not mean anything, anywhere, at anytime. We have to set some rules and this is one place where the rule is NO.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjas77: Where did that quote come from? Has it been authenticated as a true story of what actually happened? From the tone of the quote, I'd bet heavy money that it's a highly distorted representation of the facts.

So... until I have a better, reliable, source of the story, I'd not touch it with a ten-foot pole.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd bet heavy money that it's a highly distorted representation of the facts.
would be no surprise there...Sheehan misrepresenting facts

Haven't seen that mentioned in any of the news reports, however Sheehan has a note posted saying just that, on several sites ie Moore's, Huffington's etc ( link purposely not provided)
Quote:
Written by Cindy Sheehan Thursday, 27 October 2005

Yesterday, started off with a "bang" when we went to Arlington Cemetery to lay a wreath in the section where the Iraq War dead are buried. In our group yesterday morning were 3 other members of Gold Star Families for Peace. Juan Torres was with us and his son, Juan, was murdered in Afghanistan.

First of all, I was followed all morning by the Park Police. I guess because I am a very dangerous subversive. I would never hurt a flea, but what I am dangerous to is the lies and corruption of our government.

Secondly, Juan, Beatriz Saldivar, and Julie Cuniglio who have all had loved ones killed in this war had brought pictures of their dead loved ones with them to Arlington. We were told by the administration of the cemetery that they couldn't take the pictures into the cemetery because they were "political statements!!" We were stunned that pictures of our children that have been killed for lies and betrayals and for purely political reasons can't be shown in a cemetery that supposedly honors those who have served, some making the ultimate sacrifice in war. We are living in a state that kills our children then calls them political statements. That speaks volumes to the chicken hawks who we are allowing to ruin our country.....blah blah blah

However....
Yahoo has some pics posted. (The photos that they had with them seem fairly large--poster size) From the yahoo pics (see pg 2) it appears they did have their photos with them inside Arlington. Someone more familiar with Arlington may be able to tell....

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/sm/events/ts/081005sheehanvigil/p:1
2 pages, click on the pics for a larger version

blood pressure warning
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a demonstration to me. Guess they kept a lid on it as is well and should be. The kin of those interred there probably are about as pleased as those who found the names of their loved ones at Momma Moonbats Camp Casey. Again, it's all about her.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJ, you answered your? sacred ground. whats the confusion?I guess ya shoulda been there done that. Hmmmm sacred ground? Hmmm Wink
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have found, it appears to be official policy. In 1971, sKerry's group was denied entry to Arlington for their anti-war protest and I also found this from 1968,

Quote:
A bishop, a rabbi, a reverend. The event that brought members of Clergy and Laymen Concerned About Vietnam to Arlington National Cemetery in February 1968 was notable not for its fiery, virtuous speeches, but rather for its silence. The original plan was to hold a memorial service at the cemetery, but the Supreme Court ruled that the group's partisan nature nullified its right to assemble. Instead, 2,000 people -- half of them clergy -- moved about in hushed observance, praying at the foot of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Holding American flags were Bishop James Shannon, Rabbi Abraham Heschel and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. When this protest occurred, it had been 31/2 years since Congress authorized President Lyndon B. Johnson to deploy U.S. troops to Vietnam. It would be seven more years before the United States completely withdrew from Vietnam.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/protest-1968.htm

I also found what appears to have been an attempt by the House of Representatives to prohibit even using National Cemeteries as a back drop for protests in 1993 H.CON.RES.77 It appears it may have died in committee.
rjas77
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:
rjas77: Where did that quote come from? Has it been authenticated as a true story of what actually happened? From the tone of the quote, I'd bet heavy money that it's a highly distorted representation of the facts.

So... until I have a better, reliable, source of the story, I'd not touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Nope...there wasn't a link...

Here's the thread where it can be found...I posted under the username Killswitch, but they quickly banned that account and I had to return as Mister Cid. They have since banned my IP so I can't respond.

(URL deleted by admin/me#1)

Since I can no longer post there, perhaps one of you could set those fools straight...

Admin note: Sorry, but posts encouraging responses to the goings-on in other forums are discouraged here. For those who might be interested in pursuing this, we suggest you utilize PM. Thanks/me#1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: