SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anit-War Letter Countered

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Anit-War Letter Countered Reply with quote

I wrote a short letter last week about the 2,000th death in the war on terror. Posting it in various places, I also sent it off to my local newspaper, The Columbian, another notoriously left leaning paper.

To my surprise, I discovered they published it tonight, immediately after what I perceive as another subtle anti-war letter;

Quote:
The madness continues

As the Oct. 27 story, "Vigil honors war's dead," reported, more than 100 individuals held a vigil marking the 2,000th loss of American military life in Iraq. This vigil was replicated in cities across America. Today more lives were lost.

As we mourn the death of the military men and women, we must also remember others. Almost 300 private contractors and 73 journalists have lost their lives, and well over 15,000 Americans have been wounded, many of whom have had their lives changed forever. In addition, there have been suicides and noncombat deaths.

Lest we forget, tens of thousands of Iraqis are dead as a direct result of our actions. We call the Iraqi dead "collateral deaths"; others call it a massacre. We seem to condone torture. The damage done to the American image will haunt us.

And what of the psychological damage done to many American young men and women who have been involved in killing and witnessing killing? Some soldiers may look at this as worth the cost. Others suffer serious psychological trauma from the experience. Their lives, and the lives of those to whom they will return in the U.S., are hurt beyond comprehension, with ramifications radiating out to their communities.

The madness must stop.

Robert N. Bxxxxxx
Vancouver

Terrorism continues, too

With the all the mention recently of families mourning the 2,000th loss of loved ones in Iraq, I also think of the families still mourning from 9/11. I also think of the families mourning from the USS Cole as well as others mourning the Khobar Towers bombing.

There are literally thousands of families, American, European, Arab, and Asian, who mourn the loss of loved ones at the hands of terrorists. These terrorists have to be stopped. This war on terror should have been started 30 years ago, before they gained the support and power they have today. Appease them now and imagine the power they will have 10 or 20 years from now.

At the same time as I shed my tears over these 2,000, I also beam with pride that this latest generation has produced such fine young men and women who willingly placed themselves in harm's way for the protection and liberation of others and have paid the ultimate sacrifice. Their sacrifices are not to be taken lightly, denigrated or sensationalized but deserve to be held up to the entire world as among the finest people this country has ever produced.

As in John 15:13, "Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Lew Waters
Vancouver

As left-leaning as this paper has been, I can only hope the editor responsible didn't lose her job. If they are changing and becoming willing to be fair and balanced and report views of pro-freedom, who knows, I might even subscribe to it again, LOL.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent letter Lew...well stated Wink

http://www.columbian.com/opinion/news/11022005news13411.cfm
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew, that's great! whatever the reason, it's great it was put into print!
We need to counter the left at every turn!
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BZ Lew, the letter was excellent and well worded. Thanks for stand up to the left.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Lew. Your words were eloquent, sincere and to the point. I don't think it could have been said better.

Jack
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great letter Lew, I need you to write one to this bonehead bird cage liner we have for a paper here! Wink
DanVCC
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the good letter-to-the-editor, Lew. I have been trying to get my local paper to publish the actual number of combat deaths for the last few months with no avail since it joined in with most of the media to ignore accidental deaths and count them as "military deaths." Of course, when a Buddy goes down it matters not if it was accidental but the media's agenda is to push the bad news hard and that obviously includes sly misreporting. Akin to troop losses is the estimate of civilian deaths in Iraq. My research shows claims ranging from 7,000 to "hundreds of thousands" but no source found thus far made any attempt to report how many civilians were killed by the bad guys. Maybe the last suicide bomb death total is charged by these groups to the Coalition Forces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: