SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pioneer cannot be serious about a 1800 dollar blu ray player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Pioneer cannot be serious about a 1800 dollar blu ray player Reply with quote

Ok Pioneer plans on coming out with a $1,800.00 in may. Small problem, with Sony coming out with the PS3 blu ray player in March at $300.00. Not only will the PS3 play Blu Ray, it will also play games and more.

Pioneer that means for 2 months prior to your product launch people will have a 300.00 player to purchase.

What in the world gives you the idea someone will want to pay $1,500.00 more for something which only plays movies?

The PS3 is a destructive platform for these companies hopes of selling HD DVD or Blu Ray players at high prices. Good for the consumer for sure, yet someone ought to make the executives know what is coming in March.

I am no fan of Sony, but this PS3 and its specs if delivered as promised at 300-400 dollars will be one of the most amazing product roll outs in the history of entertainment.

You could spend 20,000.00 on a pc with all the latest best graphics cards multiple 64 bit processors and you would not be able to make a gaming machine which could match this PS3 in performance.

Will be interesting to see come March.
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um Genxr;

Pioneer's model is a writer as well as reader and supports regular +R/-R R/RW modes. Yes, I agree the price is a bit high but I would rather see them be able to excel with a max 50gb drive than see Micro$oft set another sloppy standard with a name that lends the uninformed to believe they are getting HDTV from the less spacious HD-DVD. (Yep, I've already heard that one from a co-worker.)

We let Micro$oft lead the way again and we just might find ourselves waiting several years for the equivalent of a FAT 16 or 32 vs NFS analogy.

BTW - check under the hood of those gaming systems. The OS is certainly NOT Windows (copyright, trademarked, lobotomized, over priced, under fulfilled) Smile
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the War Department an new Sanyo 27" flat screen CRT
so I'm not in the market for the super stuff. 'Sides a Doc at Clarke
AFB back in '68 gave me an audiogram and asked me if I'd screwed
up and spent a bunch of bucks on a new stereo. With my ears I could
save a bunch of bucks with monoral as I'd never know the difference.
Now I have coke bottle glasses. *sigh*

I'll stick with my Panasonic DVD recorder with the 80 gig hard drive.

Anyhow...

[/url]http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/tech/2006/jan/05/010506378.html[url][/url]
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snipe wrote:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/tech/2006/jan/05/010506378.html

Experimenting here with the non working link. It should work now.

All this talk about gaming with computers and etc, makes me laugh for time to time. My first computer, Commodore 64, which I used for many things besides playing games, was always made fun of by the IBM compatible crowd because you could run games and graphics with it. IBM machines back then were not very good at either.

Then comes Windows and etc, now look at the IBM compatible machines, they all do graphics and games.

My, my, my, such a change in attitude by the IBM compatible crowd, or should I say Windws compatible crowd. Yes, I am using a Windoze machine right now posting this. And still laughing too. And still have several Commodore computers on hand too.
skidlid
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harv;
Try a VIC 20 until I could afford a 64 !!!!
ChuLai,DaNang,QuanNgai,DucPho,Hue
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We started with an Osbourne portable suitcase. It ran on dual floppy drives (7 inch floppys to boot). The screen was about the size of two playing cards edge to edge and monochrome orange on black. The keyboard was attached and folded down from two latches and the rest of it sort of hooked on the edge to give it a bit of a slant so the fans could get air. The we got wild and went for a daisy wheel printer for it and it took four months to get the right code string to make them talk to each other.

I went for a job interview and the man asked me computer questions and the most important one to him was did I know what DOS was....
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computers I have owned

Apple II with 16k ram was my first. Best computer I have ever owned. Nuclear bomb would probably have a hard time crashing it.

Atari 400

Apple II E

Atari 800

Apple II C Apple begins its downfall. Buggy and crashes.

Atari 520 st my Lord I would have to twist the computer (it was computer/keyboard all in one) to fix board crashes. Piece of junk.

Atari 1040 st Same piece of junk. Sad how Atari fell. Loved Atari.

Since my 1040 St I have owned mainly built by hand computers. I used to game hard core and to build a 10 thousand dollar gaming computer was common. I have built several of those. To someone who has never gamed at the highest levels this might seem crazy, yet to eeek out even a fraction of a second on a systems performance while maintaining stability is the difference between victory and defeat against a person of similar talent. Gaming is after all what has driven computer technology over the past 15 years. Gamers are by far the earliest adapters of the latest and greatest technology.

Currently though my taste is more pedestrian and type this post from a Sony Vaio laptop in Katrina land and transmitting via a horrible Verizon aircard.

Verizon is the SuxXorZa. That is idiot gaming dude speak. Smile, Which I cannot stand. Good justification for anyone to stop gaming.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My adventures in PC land began with a Z80 chip, 16k RAM, two 5" 1 Meg floppies running CPM. Like the Osborn mentioned above you had to write your own drivers and compile doc's before printing....a week long trial and error. I had a nifty FORTRAN compiler for it. In those days you had to know your EPSIDIC from ASCII.

There was a couple of Macs in there somewhere but mostly I've cobbled together 386s, 486s and Pentiums 2-4. More aggravating than the changing and incompatible (or unsupported) hardware was the crap Microsoft shoveled down our throats. Manage that lower 64k memory and DOS 5 ran apps as quick as anything I have today. Code kept simple has been lost as archaic spaghetti was piled on spaghetti for the 'new and improved'. After a DOS 6 that couldn't recognize its own compression, the 6.22 patch, Win95 that had to legacy kernal CD drivers to install, ME and all the proprietory backdoors and insulting customer support you'ld think we would learn. Linux sounds better and those G5s look good if pricey.

As for gaming? There's only one. I've been addicted to Civilization since its '92 intro'. Civ4 was released in November and neither this 17" Toshiba Satellite nor my Shuttle X (a great computer!) with their nVIDIA 5200 and 7200 respectectively could run it. Regardless of the graphics board it wants drivers date checked for '05 and nVIDIA has no updates. I bought the cheapest XP Media I could find to play it. After two weeks of avid practice I'm cured of my addiction. What a kluge! Now I have to find a use for this new computer. I gave my last P1/DOS 7 machine to the kids who mow my lawn...maybe I'l swap them for it.

I'm always amazed to realize Apollo went to the moon with an 8 bit processor the size of a steamer trunk.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: