SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ALITO HEARINGS: The Finale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: ALITO HEARINGS: The Finale Reply with quote

Today is the last chance the Democrats will have to question Judge Alito. That is is you want to call the questions they have put forth questions. Most have show boated, berated, belittled, undermined, and insulted the Judge.

Specter opened the Thursday session by announcing that an examination of four boxes of hundreds of documents at the Library of Congress from William Rusher, the founder of CAP, found no mention of Alito. Specter said that according to Rusher, Alito didn't attend CAP meetings nor was he heavily involved — if at all involved — in the organization. The nominee's involvement in the group, which discouraged the admission of women and minorities at the Ivy League school, has been a source of much contention during this week's hearing.

"The files contain dozens of articles, including investigative exposes written at the height of the organization's prominence, but Sam Alito's name is nowhere to be found in any of them," Specter said.

Alito has stated he does not recall his involvement in the CAP, a conservative group formed in 1972 to, in part, challenge Princeton University's decision to admit women and minorities and protest the school's treatment of the ROTC program. He also said he "deplores" the Prospect articles that exude racist or elitist sentiment.

"I have to say, Judge Alito's explanations about his membership in this seemingly radical group ... are troubling and I don't think they add up," Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., said Wednesday.

In a last minute scramble the Democrats are resorting to some of the lowest tactics that were not even witnessed in the then Judge Roberts Confirmation Hearings. Several Democrats stated that they are still considering "inconsistencies" in his record and statements regarding abortion, his involvement with a controversial Princeton group and presidential power.

"I know the judge probably thinks he's doing nothing here but being on the hot seat but we're talking about a lifetime appointment," the committee's ranking Democrat, Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont, said Thursday.

Adding that he is still "troubled" by some of the nominee's answers, Leahy then began questioning Alito on his willingness to hear death penalty cases when last-minute DNA or other evidence may surface and on authority given to individuals in end-of-life issues.

Democrats have complained that Alito was not answering questions fully enough and are defending their right to probe him on answers they may not like.

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., one of several senators who has repeatedly questioned Alito on his membership in the Concerned Alumni of Princeton, said he thinks the questions have been fair, particularly since Alito is up for a position on the highest court of the land.

"You have to ask the questions that have to be asked because remember, it's a lifetime appointment, someone who has enormous, enormous power. This is the only shot where you get to see who they are, what their judicial philosophy is. They have an obligation to answer," the New York Democrat told FOX News. "It doesn't mean you jump to conclusions but it's why you ask the questions and you explore them."

The problem in the end was in Shumer's final statements. They script was pre-written which tells you that no matter what Alito said, or did not say, that the Senator had his mind made up prior to the questioning today.

In conclusion, baring no underhanded surprises by the Democrats, all in all today was a quiet day and I do anticipate that Judge Alito will receive the votes needed to succeed Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.

Note: Hope you all enjoyed my little blog series I ran on the Alito hearings. Trying to turn my writing into dollars now. Laughing

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what questions did they ask?
The few times they even let him speak...they didn't understand the answers he gave because they don't understand law..nor the constiution.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: