SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shameful Dems Cause Alito's Wife to Leave Hearing In Tears

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Shameful Dems Cause Alito's Wife to Leave Hearing In Tears Reply with quote

Martha-Ann Bomgardner, who had sat behind her husband for hours of questioning over the past three days, left as her husband was being questioned by Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham.

Quote:
"Judge Alito, I am sorry that you've had to go through this. I am sorry that your family has had to sit here and listen to this," said Graham.

A bit earlier, the senator had asked Alito, "Are you really a closet bigot?"The nominee said no, and Graham said, "No sir, you're not."

Graham's exchange with the nominee came after withering questions from several Judiciary Committee Democrats.

Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah suggested that Alito's wife was upset with the comments of Democrats. "She's sick and tired of the mistreatment of her husband," Hatch said. He also said that she was suffering from a migraine headache.

She returned to the hearing room after a committee break, smiling and holding her husband's hand.

To be continued.....

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Shameful Dems Cause Alito's Wife to Leave Hearing In Tea Reply with quote

She is going to hate that picture.

Doll wrote:

To be continued.....[/quote]
Leeman
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture is really a good symbol of what the familes have to go through when your President honors you with a nomination like this.

It really should not have to be this way. There is so much mean spiritness that it sickens me.

The shamefull thing is that, in my opinion the surrendercrats really are not going to win anyways. He will be nominated !!

He will serve !!!!

"We are all Ghost now"
"But once we were men"

from an unsigned diary recovered from Cabanatuan Camp
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Democrats are mean and desperate. They have a pitbull among them who everyone knows is mean and not credible anyway, so they sick him on any Republican. I just can't figure out why he keeps getting elected. Are the elections bought by the Kennedy's?

Leeman wrote:
The picture is really a good symbol of what the familes have to go through when your President honors you with a nomination like this.

It really should not have to be this way. There is so much mean spiritness that it sickens me.

The shamefull thing is that, in my opinion the surrendercrats really are not going to win anyways. He will be nominated !!

He will serve !!!!

Last edited by Ohio Voter on Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AP reporter yesterday gave the impression that it was Lindsay Graham who caused her tears. In reality, after the anguish of stoically enduring the smearing of her husband, the sympathetic words of Graham burst the dam.
I think we can all relate, when bearing up under the weight of grief, sometimes a well-intentioned word of kindness can bring on the tears.
One of my favorite writers, Thomas Lifson says it best:

The American Thinker
Quote:
Have you no sense of decency?
January 12th, 2006

Most Americans were not glued to their televisions yesterday watching the Alito confirmation hearings. But today a substantial portion of the electorate is aware that Judge Alito’s wife Martha-Ann Bomgardner was driven to tears, as Senator Lindsey Graham apologized to the nominee and his family for the hectoring and smearing he and they had endured.

It was one of those moments which encapsulate a complex drama, speaking to common (and noble) human emotions. Anyone who has ever stoically attempted to control the deep pain of seeing a loved one suffering or under stress knows that the merest expression of sympathy is enough to burst the dam, and let the cathartic tears flow.

All of us who love, who have watched our loved ones under duress, and who have received support understand Martha-Ann Bomgardner, even if the subtleties of the theory of the unitary executive and stare decisis elude us.

The network news honchos, for all their liberal bias, know that “If it bleeds it leads,” and in this case, “If it cries, it flies.”

The Judiciary Committee Democrats have disgraced themselves.

The Associated Press, once esteemed for its even-handed reporting, put out a dispatch which implied that Senator Graham was the one who abused the judge, triggering the outburst. That the AP would attempt such a violation of common sense betrays the desperation of the media branch of the Democratic Party. It won’t fly because it does not ring true to common experience.

The last time such an obvious disgrace took place in a Senate hearing was almost 52 years ago, in the Army-McCarthy hearings, when Joseph Welch, a Boston lawyer, gained immortality with his rebuke of Senator Joseph McCarty, for his abusive behavior toward a young lawyer, Fred Fisher. Fisher was working with Welch, and had once been a member of the Lawyers Guild, a leftist organization which McCarthy tarred as suspiciously communist.

Two of Welch’s phrases have been figuratively engraved in marble, lending the neologism “McCarthyism” its flavor of extreme, unreasonable, and mean persecution of people with guilt by association.

Senator, I think I never really gauged your cruelty, or your recklessness [….]

You’ve done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?

Half a century later, history has repeated itself, this time not with words, but with the moving sight of a wife reduced to tears by her husband’s time on the witness table cross.

Senator Kennedy is, if anything, an even less sympathetic figure than Joseph McCarthy. While Kennedy’s brother may have been a martyr struck down by an assassin, McCarthy never left a young woman to die in a submerged car. The way in which Senator Kennedy has lived his life disgraces whatever nobility might have adhered to hium from his brother’s end.

As I recently wrote, most Americans do not pay attention to politics most of the time, and form vague images of the two parties based on accumulated fragmentary inputs. Because of media bias, most of the time this process favors the Democrats.

Yesterday, even those unconcerned by politics paid attention because of the human drama. A new iconic incident has just entered our political tradition. Political affiliation is both an intellectual and an emotional matter. It requires a level of intellectualizing beyond the capacity of most of us to affiliate oneself with a repulsive waddling-fat bully.

It took the GOP decades to recover from the damage inflicted by the lasting imagery of McCarthy the bully. Anti-communism, fairly or not, became stigmatized for a generation.

It was anti-racism fanaticism, the attempt to tar Judge Alito as a bigot, which was at the root of yesterday’s drama. If anything, the average American today has more personal experience of being impugned as a racist than the 1950s American had of being impugned as a communist. Voters have far more to identify with in Alito than they ever did in the McCarthy hearings.

The only question now is how long it will take the Democrats to understand the disaster they have created for themselves.

Thomas Lifson is the editor and publisher of The American Thinker.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
becca1223
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How Many Dems Could Be Confirmed?
After watching the wife of the nominee break down into tears yesterday evening at the treatment being given to her husband by Senate Democrats, it seems fair to ask: how many Democrats sitting on the Judiciary Committee could be confirmed using their own standards? How many of them could withstand the same sort of exhaustive examination and distortion of their own careers and records that's now being given to Sam Alito's?

The answer, just off the top of my head and without resorting to extensive research or digging through trash, is not very many:

continued here: RealClearPolitics
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing blew up in the LIberals face. Schmucky, Teddy and Leaky Leahy will suffer the fall out for a long time along with all the other Liberal bags of ****. The Democrats need to jetison these ultra leftists, but I don't think they can. They have dirtied themselves beyond anything they can understand right now. Good, we needed this. The Liberal's threats were empty and vacant. Let's remember this on the next one as well.

By '08 at least one more Justice will retire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: