SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vietnam Deserter Awaits Fate After Arrest 36 Years Later

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Vietnam Deserter Awaits Fate After Arrest 36 Years Later Reply with quote

Quote:
Vietnam Deserter Awaits Fate After Arrest 36 Years Later

Ernest Johnson Jr., 55, was arrested Thursday in Fort Worth on a federal warrant for military desertion, stemming from his 1969 decision to leave Camp Lejeune.

Fort Worth, TX -- A Vietnam deserter who spent more than 36 years on the lam was behind bars Monday, awaiting word on his fate as authorities worked to decide if and how his case would be prosecuted.

Ernest Johnson Jr., 55, was arrested Thursday in Fort Worth on a federal warrant for military desertion, stemming from his 1969 decision to leave Camp Lejeune, where he was stationed with the Marines. Johnson said he deserted because he opposed the Vietnam War, telling the Fort Worth Star-Telegram in a jailhouse interview Friday that the war was "a mistake from Day One."

He spent the next three decades drifting between California, Oregon, Arizona, Indiana, Michigan and Texas, where he was living with his girlfriend in Fort Worth when officials arrested him Thursday.

Johnson, who used the surname McQueen throughout his life, remained in custody Monday in Mansfield Jail without bail as authorities decided whether he would be sent to North Carolina to face charges. If court-martialed and found guilty, he could be sentenced to up to three years in the brig and be dishonorably discharged, Marine Capt. Jay Delarosa, a spokesman, said in Monday's editions of the Star-Telegram.

Last week, the Marine Corps said it would discharge a 65-year-old Florida man jailed since August on a charge that he deserted during Vietnam. Jerry Texiero was released from the brig at Camp Lejeune to begin paper work before leaving for his home in Tarpon Springs.

"I guess I'll have to take whatever comes my way," Johnson said, adding that he did not believe he should be punished. "I'm not a criminal. I'm not a crook. I've never had one violent offense."

But he said he felt relieved by his arrest after spending more than half his life as a fugitive.

"They were hot on my tail a few times, and they were hot on my tail this time," said Johnson, who said he suffers from prostate cancer and knee and shoulder ailments. "I could have run this time, but I said, 'No, my running days are over with."'

In other long-term deserter cases, the military has released offenders without prosecution, ending the cases with other-than-honorable discharges. Johnson's girlfriend, Mary Tajari, said she hoped for a similar resolution and was surprised the military continued to pursue her boyfriend.

"They're going to transport him all the way to wherever and hold court and waste money on a man who is 55 years old and probably dying from prostate cancer?" Tajari said. "I think it's wrong. It's a shame for the military to have been looking for this man for 36 years."

Delarosa said Johnson wasn't being made an example for younger Marines. Rather, he said, the arrest was a consequence of a decision Johnson made years ago.

Tajari said she was unaware of Johnson's history as a deserter before the arrest. Johnson, who married twice and has two children, said he never told family members. But he said he wanted them and anyone who learned of his situation to think before forming opinions on the desertion.

"Walk the road before you judge it," he said.

Associated Press
Jim Reed , Producer
created: 1/16/2006 4:33:45 PM
Last updated: 1/16/2006 4:36:48 PM

SBD
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare and contrast with a sailor who walked off his ship in Boson in 1979:

The Navy never looked for him. He had some modest success under his real name. He got married and had a child. But he couldn't get a mortgage with Desertion attached to his SSN. He took a leave of absence from his employer and surrendered himself to pay the piper at Great Lakes in 1989. The Navy didn't know who he was but started his ComRats, issued a seabag, put his family in base housing, issued Exchange passes, put him in the brig and sent for his records.

When his records came the Navy was miffed. Had he stayed out three more months the Desertion would have lapsed, his SSN would have been clear and the Navy wouldn't have to deal with it. As it was they were obliged to hold a Courts Martial. Already an E1 they couldn't reduce him. They kept the 9 and half years pay he never got. They gave him 90 days with 60 already served and an Other than Honorable. In the end his family got 90 days of free housing, food and exchange priviledges. The sailor got a 90 day vacation and had some new dungarees.

-Wlm Shakespeare
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"They're going to transport him all the way to wherever and hold court and waste money on a man who is 55 years old and probably dying from prostate cancer?"

Hmmm, maybe the reaason he finally gave up and didn't run? While in custody, he receives FREE medical care at our expense. After 36 years running, I have a problem with him saying "I could have run this time, but I said, 'No, my running days are over with."'
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew,

If it's any consolation the Navy Hospital treats prostrate problems with castration.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squidly,

Speaking of Castration, isn't the statute of limitations on Treason the same as Desertion? Dunno what made me think of that... Wink

Ahmahgeddonouttahere
(my new muslim name, formerly Deuce)

I B Squidly wrote:
Lew,

If it's any consolation the Navy Hospital treats prostrate problems with castration.
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
Lew,

It's also the treatment for testicular cancer, which Viet Nam vets get at a rate 11 times more often than their non-Vietnam peers... (Agent Orange...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: