SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jack Abramoff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Jack Abramoff Reply with quote

Jack Abramoff, famed lobbyist of late. With a middle name of Abram, I have to wonder if he was named after the Abram Army tank or it after him.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Abramoff Reply with quote

AMOS wrote:
Jack Abramoff, famed lobbyist of late. With a middle name of Abram, I have to wonder if he was named after the Abram Army tank or it after him.

Nope. The Abrams tank was named after General Creighton Abrams who succeeded Westmoreland in Vietnam and later became Army Chief of Staff.

Biography

Schadow
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Col Abrams, he was the lead tank commander of the spearhead that broke the encirclement and relieved the Seige of Bastogne in WWII.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excerpt from Abrams' bio:

Quote:
It was a tank unit called Task Force "Abe" that led the thrust across the Moselle; it was a tank unit commanded by Abrams that broke the German encirclement at Bastogne. It was Abrams' unit that tore from Bitburg to the Rhine including an attack of over forty miles in less than two days. Time and time again Abrams led the thrust across the German homeland and into Czechoslovakia, often at the head of the column.

His World War II commander, General George S. Patton, Jr., once said: "I'm supposed to be the best tank commander in the Army but I have one peer - Abe Abrams. He's the world champion."

(Emphasis mine)

Quite a compliment from "Old B&G".

Schadow
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Middle Name. Reply with quote

Post deleted by Admin.

Decorum
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMOS,

Some Hollywood type recently tried to make the same play on words that you are attempting. It bombed with his audience and drew a blistering and well deserved rebuke from Mr. Abramoff Sr. I'd let this one die.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: