SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

America's most beloved ex-president??-FUN STUFF at Lucianne

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: America's most beloved ex-president??-FUN STUFF at Lucianne Reply with quote

This article from the Toronto Star (a very liberal Canadian paper) was posted on Lucianne.com yesterday.

Quote:
Jimmy Carter's secret Hamas summit
Toronto Star, by Mitch Potter

Original Article

Posted By:Photoonist, 1/27/2006 2:13:35 PM

Jerusalem - The mood was disaster-in-progress when the unflappable
Jimmy Carter stepped into the room yesterday to share a few quiet moments with the Toronto Star. /break/ At 81, clear-eyed and calm, America's most beloved ex-president — who yesterday sanctified the Palestinian election as head of the 950-strong international observer mission — took the earthquake in stride.

Lucianne readers took offense at the writer bestowing the "America's most beloved" designation to Carter and let the author KNOW IT!
Turns out that it was his editor who added the ridiculous phrase.

Funny comments and communications from The Star:
http://www.lucianne.com/threads2.asp?artnum=257594

The comments are still going on today.
Second comments thread at:
http://www.lucianne.com/threads2.asp?artnum=257693

As a former Canadian, (I came to the U.S. when I married my American husband) I can agree with this reader's comment:

Quote:
Reply 42 - Posted by: zyzzyxi, 1/28/2006 9:14:42 AM

To understand the Canadians reactions to this you have to understand something about their ongoing inferiority complex. They're way too sensitive about any American criticism, and usually overreact. Especially Canadian liberals, who are used to blaming others (especially Americans) for every Canadian ill (stagnant economy, high taxes, rising crime, declining standards of living, restless muslim immigrants, global warming, the pathetic Toronto Maple Leafs, etc).

Thus the 'please don't flame us' act, even though the editors of the Red Star of the North got caught blatently cheerleading for a (discredited) liberal icon. I guess that they didn't expect anyone down here to be paying attention to the newspapers of America Jr.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post and links. Great reading for a dreary Sat. PM.
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I like to see.. and shove it in the moonbat's face (not really possible since they don't see anything they don't agree with)... and that is that the rants on the link that shawa posted are 99.9% sensible/civilized... while anything coming from a moonbat is a curse word after every other word.. including death threats, insults, talking points, and useless babble about nothing....

I have an idea.. we should have a huge highway billboard every mile or so compairing a conserv 'rant' to a lib 'rant' to see if it can show them the difference...

Guess that would be a waste of time.. oh well, just an idea Wink

(great read BTW)..
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawa that is beyond classic.

Everyone read the first link Shawa posted. The writer and editor of the newspaper are fighting with each other through a website. Propoganda exposed and the little worms squirming on display.
ganman
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Canadian I disagree with the above clipped statement which implies -to understand Canadians you must understand something about their inferiority complex.

Sorry but this nonsense comes from American wannabes among us. As a proud Canadian I feel the same about them as you feel about Americans like this.

http://wemovetocanada.blogspot.com/

The biggest reason Canadians are sensitive is frustration. Our situation for better or for worse is that everything from news to entertainment, sports and culture from south of the border hits here like a tidal wave. Barely a ripple goes the other way.....and what does is often misinterpeted and misunderstood or worse smacks of propaganda from the right or left. The message we get back is often inaccurate or political.

When Michael Moore praises us or Bill O'Reilly slams us we know why. It just gets very irritating because we know neither extreme is accurate and suspect they know that too but targeted American audiences don't. Keep in mind most Canadians know at least a handful of Americans personally. We know how it gets interpeted.

I find it interesting that an idiotic faux pas by a liberal Canadian paper of a back page story (we don't care about Carter and couldn't give a damn about the middle east either) was worthy of a post here yet the election of a Conservative Prime Minister last week was not. My point exactly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: