SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A question intended to start a spirited discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: A question intended to start a spirited discussion Reply with quote

Here's the deal:
We're all known as a bunch of right wing extremist gun-toting (and, therefore, probably) Republicans.

In my case, all but the last part are true.

Sooo.... given lousy choices, who would you vote for in '08 if you had to make a poor decision:

John McCain vs Joe Liebermann
John McCain vs Ben Nelson (Nebr)

Lincoln Chaffee vs Hillary Clinton

additional lousy choices are welcome, but I'd like to know the rationale in any replies.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: A question intended to start a spirited discussion Reply with quote

jwb7605 wrote:
Here's the deal:
We're all known as a bunch of right wing extremist gun-toting (and, therefore, probably) Republicans.

In my case, all but the last part are true.

Sooo.... given lousy choices, who would you vote for in '08 if you had to make a poor decision:

John McCain vs Joe Liebermann
John McCain vs Ben Nelson (Nebr)

Lincoln Chaffee vs Hillary Clinton

additional lousy choices are welcome, but I'd like to know the rationale in any replies.

First off, Katrina showed us every lawful American should be armed and preferably with a AK-47 or clone. G Gordan Liddy recently had a guest on his show who explained how his AR-15 didn't scare anyone, yet the AK made people run at the sight of it. This is not an uncommon story as heard from talking to many people while working in East New Orleans. (99 percent destroyed) A Glok or Uzi? Criminals have those laying around their house like normal people have books or coffee mugs. Familiarity brings comfort and last I checked no criminals holster AK's on the street corner, yet are very aware of what they look like and know they are the preferred weapon of killers world wide.

Secondly, this site is full of Democrats. I would guess of the SVPT supporters close to or over 50 percent have voted Democrat in their lifetimes. The reason they voted for Bush or against Kerry or abstained altogther has been well documented on the forum boards. Most of the people who supported the SVPT's are pretty conservative as opposed to radical right wing extremist (last I heard the David Duke right wing radicals were in full solidarity with the kooky left wing), yet to be a radical right wing extremist today all one needs to do is support marriage between a man and a woman, support our military in a time of war and want a return to our constitution. Many Truman Democrats for sure, yet it was Truman who booted the communists from the Democratic party and thus the far left's hatred of the man and the SVPT Truman Democrats. The last anti-communist Democrat president we had was John F Kennedy and he got a bullet in the head for it.

Finally, of the candidates and who would be chosen from that very short list? Lieberman of course, yet there will be a much better field to choose from come 08' then the list you have provided.

Last edited by GenrXr on Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a swiftboat veteran, just hated kerry. conservative on taxes, owning guns, war against terror, all of which i consider the most important. a lot of the other issues i'm a moderate.

1. Liebermann
2. McCain (no stone throwing)
3. kill myself (not really)
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem seems to be that the Dems are rooting around in the
Senate and House for a presidential candidate. They should be
checking out the various state houses instead. JFK was the last
President to go directly from the Senate to the White House. Think
about it.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preferences for Republican presidential candidates (probably in order):

Condi Rice. Seasoned in foreign policy. Great academic credentials. A good, concise speaker. Single (gasp!) What might the opposition do with that? She would face "oreo" slander from the neo-racists.

Newt Gingrich. Strong conservative. Former Speaker of the House. Accomplished historian. Probably the most skillful in debate. Strangeness about years-ago divorce would surely come up. Especially hated by Dems as the man who turned the House majority Republican.

Mit Romney. Conservative Governor of MA. (How did that happen?) Ran a very successful Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. Mormon (gasp!) Those who exploit religious matters will work that over.

George Allen. US Senator from VA. Former Governor of VA. I don't really know what recommends him specifically, but the Rep party loves him. Seems to be a nice guy.

I think that, with a competent campaign, any of these people could defeat any candidate the Dems come up with.

There. Chew on that.

Schadow
Leeman
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not vote for McCain for dog catcher !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who knows what he might appoint Komrade kerry too.

asst dog catcher would be ok !!!!!!!

"We are all Ghost now"
"But once we were men"

from an unsigned diary recovered from Cabanatuan Camp
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condi as President would remove forever the threat of Hillary ever being President. Hillary is so obsessed with being the 1st woman president that if Condi got it, Hillary would go off to milk her name and bilk the country and the world for all the praise and dough she could get, just like Bill. She will not be second anything.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schadow wrote:

Condi Rice. <SNIP>
Newt Gingrich. <SNIP>
Mit Romney. <SNIP>
George Allen. <SNIP>
I think that, with a competent campaign, any of these people could defeat any candidate the Dems come up with.

There. Chew on that.

Schadow

My preferences, too. Also in that order.

The question, though, was more intended along the line of "which would you rather do: suck snot out of a dead horse till his face caved in, or slide down a fifty foot razorblade?" Laughing

The initial options I suggested, IMHO, were horses and razorblades.
... and, who's to say we won't have those options in '08?

(P.S.: Totally off the subject, but the phrase " '08 " is starting to remind me of my grandfather, who used to talk about the weather in those years (different century) ... and I do remember the "winter of '65 ... ) Smile
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwb7605 wrote:
(P.S.: Totally off the subject, but the phrase " '08 " is starting to remind me of my grandfather, who used to talk about the weather in those years (different century) ... and I do remember the "winter of '65 ... ) Smile

My favorite is "We didn't have winters like this when Nixon was president!"

One of my favorite gripes is people who insist on dividing all history (at least since the 1920s) into decades. The '60s were this. The '70s were that. As if there were sharp dividing lines every tenth New Year's eve. I wonder what they'll call the present one, the "Uh-ohs"?

Forgive me for driving the topic farther off. Very Happy

Schadow
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well gee, jwb, looks like nobody wants to answer to your choices (lol). for the record, dr. rice is my number one favorite. i don't know that she wants it however.
fortdixlover

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: A question intended to start a spirited discussion Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
Secondly, this site is full of Democrats. I would guess of the SVPT supporters close to or over 50 percent have voted Democrat in their lifetimes.

The issue is not political affiliation.

The issue is stance on individual freedom, personal dignity and liberty. I would imagine all who post positively for the Swiftvets believe in those values, regardless of what "party" they belong to.

By the way, I consider myself not red, not blue, but a Rubik's cube.

All sorts of colors on different issues, compatible with the above values.

-- FDL
GenrXr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: A question intended to start a spirited discussion Reply with quote

fortdixlover wrote:
GenrXr wrote:
Secondly, this site is full of Democrats. I would guess of the SVPT supporters close to or over 50 percent have voted Democrat in their lifetimes.

The issue is stance on individual freedom, personal dignity and liberty. I would imagine all who post positively for the Swiftvets believe in those values, regardless of what "party" they belong to.

-- FDL

I agree with you FDL and should of emphasized that point in further wording. The point is the supporters for SVPT are from the left and the right, which is never shown in the MSM.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schadow wrote:

Condi Rice. Seasoned in foreign policy. Great academic credentials. A good, concise speaker. Single (gasp!) What might the opposition do with that? She would face "oreo" slander from the neo-racists.

Newt Gingrich. Strong conservative. Former Speaker of the House. Accomplished historian. Probably the most skillful in debate. Strangeness about years-ago divorce would surely come up. Especially hated by Dems as the man who turned the House majority Republican.

Mit Romney. Conservative Governor of MA. (How did that happen?) Ran a very successful Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. Mormon (gasp!) Those who exploit religious matters will work that over.

George Allen. US Senator from VA. Former Governor of VA. I don't really know what recommends him specifically, but the Rep party loves him. Seems to be a nice guy.

There. Chew on that.

Schadow

That is a great list Schadow, although Condi and Newt should be switched in placement. Problem with Newt though is he is a true conservative, which would be great for the country, but almost impossible to get the bleeding heart vote. Newt was so right on orphanages, yet raked over the coals for his idea on it. The left made him out to be a wicked man bent on turning the country back to the dawn of industrialization and evoked the Oliver Twist tale for dramatic effect. Sad thing is we live in a world where many children are not loved or cared for properly and foster homes is not the great solution social planners thought it would be.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: A question intended to start a spirited discussion Reply with quote

fortdixlover wrote:
GenrXr wrote:

<image snipped ...>

-- FDL

I'm thinking you're wrong: more like 85-90% have voted Democrat, or independent, at a minimum. Wink
What I'm interested in are which poor decisions we'd make e.g.:
Nixon vs Carter

Extremely competent with few scruples vs Virtually incompetent, clueless, and well-intentioned.

I've not seen too many political choices presented to me that did not force me to compromise somewhere on the individual freedom, personal dignity and/or liberty issues.

Seems to me like history has taught us that we get bad results either way, but the question is: "which part would you rather have hurting" ... your ethical side, or your material side? A direct result of Nixon's scruples (moral failings?) was the ability of the "far left" to advance their various causes once he was discovered -- the public became disgusted, and chose anything opposite, without thinking far enough ahead with respect to consequences. A direct result of Carter's piousness and naïveté was the perception that this society is totally gutless. That has led to some reasonably successful economic threats, as well as the obvious terrorist type.

So, we seem to have advanced to the point where morality is not clearly definable, and our enemies might possibly become allies, if we just negotiate wisely.
('scuse, me, I'm feeling ill ...)

FYI: the "probably, therefore, Republican" parenthetical phrase in my initial post is, in plain fact, what 'the public' thinks, not what the reality is. If you're not aware of that, you probably don't have to associate with the left people much. If that's the case, I recommend you don't start soon. Smile
GenrXr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: A question intended to start a spirited discussion Reply with quote

jwb7605 wrote:
A direct result of Carter's piousness and naïveté was the perception that this society is totally gutless. That has led to some reasonably successful economic threats, as well as the obvious terrorist type.

So, we seem to have advanced to the point where morality is not clearly definable, and our enemies might possibly become allies, if we just negotiate wisely.
('scuse, me, I'm feeling ill ...)

Carter is a nuclear physicist and knows clearly his impact upon the ideological landscape. The problem with Carter is he does not believe in God. The peanut farmer Americans were told to believe was the reincarnation of Truman was nothing more then an evil self promoter. He is a man without a soul.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: