SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iran paper plans Holocaust cartoons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Iran paper plans Holocaust cartoons Reply with quote

Straight from (English version) Aljazeera.net.
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/FCE073DD-7F1B-4714-95F0-DD1F354F1D9A.htm
This is a good read ... I noted phrases like
Hamshahri newspaper, which is published by Tehran's conservative-run municipality
and
so-called Holocaust revisionist historians
Twisted Evil
... anyway, I'm hoping that this will give the newspapers a window, so they can print both the Dutch cartoons and the Iranian "contest" cartoons without a lot of soul-searching about "offending Muslim Values". They would merely be answering the issued challenge:
"The Western papers printed these sacrilegious cartoons on the pretext of freedom of expression, so let's see if they mean what they say and also print these Holocaust cartoons"

I think the papers should publish the cartoons with the Dutch ones in one column, and the Iranian ones in another ... there are supposed to be twelve of each.

Iranian contest winners get "gold coins" from "private individuals".

That would, IMHO, be the "fair and balanced" way to allow the public (in this case, the world), to decide who might be more extreme.

This marks the first time I've caught myself agreeing with good old Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Iran's hardline president.
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, hey! That Danish paper that posted the "Mohammad" pics says
that it wants to publish the "Holocaust" pics too.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=nation_world&id=3886997

I don't have a link, but last evening I was watching Fox News before
O'Reilly and they had a street shot of one of those "riots". There
were a couple of guys carrying signs:

"Death to Marmaduke"

and

"Marmaduke! Devil Dog"

That's what you get for being a Great Dane. Scooby Doo apparently
skated...this time.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Iran paper plans Holocaust cartoons Reply with quote

jwb7605 wrote:
Straight from (English version) Aljazeera.net.
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/FCE073DD-7F1B-4714-95F0-DD1F354F1D9A.htm
This is a good read ... I noted phrases like
Hamshahri newspaper, which is published by Tehran's conservative-run municipality
and
so-called Holocaust revisionist historians
Twisted Evil
... anyway, I'm hoping that this will give the newspapers a window, so they can print both the Dutch cartoons and the Iranian "contest" cartoons without a lot of soul-searching about "offending Muslim Values". They would merely be answering the issued challenge:
"The Western papers printed these sacrilegious cartoons on the pretext of freedom of expression, so let's see if they mean what they say and also print these Holocaust cartoons"

I think the papers should publish the cartoons with the Dutch ones in one column, and the Iranian ones in another ... there are supposed to be twelve of each.

Iranian contest winners get "gold coins" from "private individuals".

That would, IMHO, be the "fair and balanced" way to allow the public (in this case, the world), to decide who might be more extreme.

This marks the first time I've caught myself agreeing with good old Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Iran's hardline president.

So what else is new? The Arab press published this type of "cartoon" all the time. See http://www.adl.org/main_Arab_World/default.htm

The Iranians are merely showing how deranged they are. I don't think this fetid idiocy is going to ingratiate themselves with any western government.

I remember an Iranian who lived on the same floor in the dorm that I did one summer in the mid 1970's. He seemed normal enough and I went on a number of social functions with him.

A few years later after the Khomenei "revolution" (devolution?) I bumped into this fellow at a mall. He started spouting "Death to Jews" to me.

At that point I knew this country REALLY had a problem.

-- FDL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: