SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DoS Attacks - Michele Malkin and Little Green Football

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKLady
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: DoS Attacks - Michele Malkin and Little Green Football Reply with quote

Michele Malkin's website was under a denial of service attack today but is back in service.

Has anyone been able to get into LGF recently? I have not for at least a day, but I am wondering if it is my computer having the problem?

Both sites have been showing or talking about the cartoons.

Thanks

PS. Pajama Media also seems to be down
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been able to get in LGF for a week now..
Sergei
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured something was going to happen soon to Michele due to the cartoon fiasco. It turns out the denial of service(DoS) attack was coming from Turkey Telecom. Dirty Bastages!!! Smile
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By using a link in Power Line, I got through to LGF just now.

Schadow
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schadow wrote:
By using a link in Power Line, I got through to LGF just now.

Schadow

Does anyone know what this is all about? I had the same issues. Weird! Rolling Eyes

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each time I am online here in Guam my computer ports are scanned for backdoor access hundreds of times by computers in China, the Middle East, Russia and Europe.

This is not coming from your average everyday hacker, this is a concerted effort to infiltrate computers supported by governments in these locations.

I run two firewalls for protection and never leave my computer or modem powered on unless I am at the keyboard.

You may want to do a tracer route ping request yourself and see who is looking at your hard drive.

Independent that leans right of center.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomSgt wrote:
Each time I am online here in Guam my computer ports are scanned for backdoor access hundreds of times by computers in China, the Middle East, Russia and Europe. ...
You may want to do a tracer route ping request yourself and see who is looking at your hard drive.

Sgt,
Ditto on the plethora of port scan alerts here in good ole USA, also... ... My question to you, if your firewalls are up, how do you ping yourself??? I just get a 'can't find you' message...and if you 'allow' the ping when your firewall asks permission, aren't you 'openning' a door for any hacker to follow? just curious.
Deuce
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deuce wrote:
PhantomSgt wrote:
Each time I am online here in Guam my computer ports are scanned for backdoor access hundreds of times by computers in China, the Middle East, Russia and Europe. ...

Sgt,
Ditto on the plethora of port scan alerts here in good ole USA, also... ... My question to you, if your firewalls are up, how do you ping yourself??? I just get a 'can't find you' message...and if you 'allow' the ping when your firewall asks permission, aren't you 'openning' a door for any hacker to follow? just curious.
Deuce

My McAfee Security Center does the tracking for me and gives me a map with the IP details on another tab. It pings from a secure server at their site. I've been tracking the attempts for about a year now.

Cool Cool Cool

fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomSgt wrote:
Deuce wrote:
PhantomSgt wrote:

Sgt,
Deuce

My McAfee Security Center does the tracking for me and gives me a map with the IP details on another tab. It pings from a secure server at their site. I've been tracking the attempts for about a year now.

Cool Cool Cool

Imagine all the computers out there that are NOT protected...it's frightening.

It's a good rule to never put confidential information on a networked computer. I keep confidential stuff on an older but usable machine that never goes online.

-- FDL
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupid question here, but that's never stopped me before. does one get an actual ping sound when this happens? no visual alert, but just a ping sound? i ask because if was getting that sound on a site based in the us that had alot of complaints (valid ones i must add) and hassle from the carribean and holland. the site is offline now, think the feds took it off. just curious, never ever heard that sound before.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msindependent wrote:
stupid question here, but that's never stopped me before. does one get an actual ping sound when this happens? no visual alert, but just a ping sound? i ask because if was getting that sound on a site based in the us that had alot of complaints (valid ones i must add) and hassle from the carribean and holland. the site is offline now, think the feds took it off. just curious, never ever heard that sound before.

No it is just a computer term for sending a packet to a remote server in an attempt to determine location or speed on the return. It also keeps you connected to your ISP network server.

The attacking computers I mentioned above send programs that scan the ports on your home computer looking for an open port. This is an attempt to access your computer and load a program or access key that attaches in a DOS file for later use. It runs silently until enabled by the remote computer. This could allow the remote computer to access your hard drive information including stored passwords or other private information.

The Chinese military is silently loading programs that would disable networks or computers in a time of war and also gain a backdoor password to a US government computer network from someone who stored a government network password on their computer.

The best protection against these attacks is to enable your Windows Firewall and buy an additional Firewall service like McAfee. This will stop them cold if you keep your settings high.

Cool Cool Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: