SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

McCain Deviousness In Straw Poll Embarrassment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: McCain Deviousness In Straw Poll Embarrassment Reply with quote

From Drudge report:
Quote:
MCCAIN IN REPUBLICAN STRAW POLL EMBARRASSMENT
Sat Mar 11 2006 12:50:33 ET

Facing a loss at a 2008 straw poll event this weekend, Senator John McCain of Arizona told his supporters to write in President Bush [?] as a sign of support, leaving many sputtering.

"For the next three years, with our country at war, he's our president and the only one who needs our support," McCain told nearly 2,000 party activists from 26 states gathered in Memphis.

McCain, realizing the national political media had descended on the Southern Republican Leadership Conference, moved to discredit the straw poll by asking delegates to vote for Bush, insiders claim.

Instead of stopping the momentum of Majority Leader Bill Frist - widely anticipated to win the straw poll - the move seemed to expose the McCain camp's insincerity about its position with the base.

One activist said, "McCain voted against all the Bush tax cuts... maybe he should have voted for the president then, instead of waiting for a political stunt to try and distract."

Developing...

http://drudgereport.com/flash2mc.htm

IMO, McCain will never get the nomination because the Conservative Base neither like him nor trust him, no matter how he tries to manipulate them.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard whether Newt Gingrich showed up at this affair?

Schadow
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schadow, can't find any mention of Newt on the Hotline Straw Poll Blog.
It mentions various speakers, but don't see Newt there.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
Schadow, can't find any mention of Newt on the Hotline Straw Poll Blog.
It mentions various speakers, but don't see Newt there.

Thanks for checking. I guess Frist "won" the straw poll. I'm sorry, I just can't see kindly old Marcus Welby, MD, as POTUS.

Schadow
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A victory for a centrist, old-boy's club member, go along to get along, comity transfixed politician like Frist is a victory for the left.

At this point, to my mind, there is but one potential GOP candidate for POTUS that I would vote for tomorrow...Newt Gingrich.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frisk is about as bland as it comes. Romney, unknown west of the Alleghenys coming in second indicates a general lack of interest and focus. The only thing they agree on is that McCain should run in the Demo's straw poll. When Newt bellies up to the bar or Condi drops a hint these numbers will be blown away.

-Wlm Shakespeare
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is a ticket I'll vote for Newt and Condi in 08. Should we print bumper stickers now?
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have an address, land or email, where Newt could receive a letter of encouragement and support?

Schadow
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newt has a website newt.org

Page of contact info here

http://www.newt.org/backpage.asp?art=2689
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
Newt has a website newt.org

Thanks for that, shawa. A communication within that site demonstrates Newt's understanding of the war on terror:

http://www.newt.org/backpage.asp?art=2645

I think he is certainly considering a run for the nomination, but is keeping his powder dry for now. Why participate in these useless exercises such as Memphis?

This man is broadly learned and, next to Reagan, has probably the best communication skills I've ever heard, and is solidly conservative. The Democrats hate him second only to their hatred for Bush. (Well, maybe Rove.) What better credentials?

Schadow

EDIT by Schadow: I guess it goes without saying that if anyone in here chooses to write to Newt, no reference should be made to SVPT. Remember, the organization is FOR no one, just against sKerry.
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condi Rice/Ann Coulter - 2008
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: How 'bout? Reply with quote

How 'bout JUDGE JUDY?.........Like John Wayne T.P.

She's probably lefter than left.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: