SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Survey Reveals Geographic Illiteracy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Survey Reveals Geographic Illiteracy Reply with quote

Read it and weep. This is what 40 years of liberal-dominated control of our education system has wrought. It's a wonder they can find their way home from school... (emphasis mine)

Quote:
Survey Reveals Geographic Illiteracy
Bijal P. Trivedi
National Geographic Today
November 20, 2002

"The survey demonstrates the geographic illiteracy of the United States," said Robert Pastor, professor of International Relations at American University, in Washington, D.C. "The results are particularly appalling in light of September 11, which traumatized America and revealed that our destiny is connected to the rest of the world."

About 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map. The Pacific Ocean's location was a mystery to 29 percent; Japan, to 58 percent; France, to 65 percent; and the United Kingdom, to 69 percent.

National Geographic - cont'd

From a related AP story...

Quote:
Poll: 1/3 of Youths Can't Find La. on Map
By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID
Associated Press Writer
Tue May 2, 9:29 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Despite the wall-to-wall coverage of the damage from Hurricane Katrina, nearly one-third of young Americans recently polled couldn't locate Louisiana on a map and nearly half were unable to identify Mississippi.

Americans between the ages of 18 and 24 fared even worse with foreign locations: six in 10 couldn't find Iraq, according to a Roper poll conducted for National Geographic.

<snip>

Among the findings:

• One-third of respondents couldn't pinpoint Louisiana on a map and 48 percent were unable to locate Mississippi.

• Fewer than three in 10 think it important to know the locations of countries in the news and just 14 percent believe speaking another language is a necessary skill.

• Two-thirds didn't know that the earthquake that killed 70,000 people in October 2005 occurred in Pakistan.

• Six in 10 could not find Iraq on a map of the Middle East.

• While the outsourcing of jobs to India has been a major U.S. business story, 47 percent could not find the Indian subcontinent on a map of Asia.

• While Israeli-Palestinian strife has been in the news for the entire lives of the respondents, 75 percent were unable to locate Israel on a map of the Middle East.

• Nearly three-quarters incorrectly named English as the most widely spoken native language.

• Six in 10 did not know the border between North and South Korea is the most heavily fortified in the world. Thirty percent thought the most heavily fortified border was between the United States and Mexico.

Yahoo News - cont'd
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
about 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map.
this is unreal, especially considering the age group is 18-24, these aren't lil kiddies...

from the article: Sweden scored highest; Mexico, lowest. The U.S. was next to last.

I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to relieve A School recruits from duty muster if they could answer simple questions like "How many states in the Union?". Typical answers were: 47, 48 or 51. Telling this ludicrous result to others at the NCO club one laughingly blurted, "Of course, everyone knows there are 52!" Well, I'm glad they weren't QuarterMasters but I see things haven't improved.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And only a few weeks ago there was this high school GEOGRAPHY teacher who was caught on tape ranting about George Bush. I believe his excuse was (Alan Coolmes, and all Dem/Lib commentators, sez with a straight face) that he was teaching social geography.

It's the liberal way: don't teach facts; teach them the social meaning of facts (according to Marx/Lennin/Mao/Castro/Chavez, etc., etc.).
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we are paying good money for this level of teaching incompetence.
Not to mention the resulting future mistakes that will be made by having a great no. of people be.....what can only be termed.....illiterate.

Dusty
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Where's Paris?"

"Like Dude, I heard that She's in Malibu."
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My granddaughter was doing a report on Sweden.
Since I've been there, she decided to "interview me".

It was apparent that she didn't know where Sweden was, and didn't really care. But she had a map, which included Lithuania.

So I decided to tell her that's where Lithuanian batteries were made.

he he he he .... Laughing

After 30+ minutes of learning that Lithium and Lithuania were actually different, I then informed her that contrary to popular belief, Sweden was nowhere near Switzerland, either.

30 more minutes before she discovered I was correct.

My granddaughter (a) knows something about battery technology, (b) more than she intended about (European) geography, and (c) still fact checks me, for some reason.

My theory is that if you want somebody to learn something, you've got to challenge them enough to discover things for themselves.
Apparently our existing school system doesn't do that.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snipe wrote:
"Where's Paris?"

"Like Dude, I heard that She's in Malibu."

Smile
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where was thepoll done - Red or Blue states?
How high was the percentage of immigrants?
These factors can sway the outcome in such a fashion as to present the worst scenario.

Th questions in this poll as with political polls can (maybe was) be scued to defame the US.
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately in my experience, I believe this applies to most children and young adults of today educated in the American public school system and in it’s colleges and universities. I have been a supervisor and manager in the military, government, and large corporations for many years. Graduate engineers today rely on whatever their computer tells them. I have had to teach them basics on-the-job that a college prep high school graduate would have known forty or fifty years ago.

I have had young engineers proudly present a design or solution to me. With a glance, I tell them that it won’t work and gently walk them through why it won’t work. They are amazed and ask how I can glance at it and tell it won’t work. I tell them it is because when I learned it, you had to estimate it in your head, use a slide rule to calculate it, and prove it on paper. They enter some information in their computer and blindly accept any answer it provides.

I have advertised several times for entry level positions that require a high school diploma, clean arrest record, and a clean driving record. Hundreds of people apply and are quickly reduced to a few possibilities after background checks. Many people lie about their education, arrest records, and driving records. Many that pass the initial screening come in for an interview where you quickly realize they can’t read, write, or do simple addition and subtraction math problems without a calculator even with their high school diploma.

Hundreds of applicants dwindle down to two or three that are marginally acceptable and you choose the ones with a good attitude that seem eager to learn. I have hired people only to have them not show up for their first day on the job. When contacted, either they, a relative, or roommate have said that they accepted a job at a car wash or fast food restaurant and are working there. The job I had offered them was as a higher paid trainee leading to very well paid union positions that are virtually guaranteed for a lifetime of employment.

I believe education today is severely failing our future leaders and the people that will soon be paying my social security.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lima Charlie,
I've had similar experiences. I needed to send a young engineer of about 27 years of age to Heidelberg, Germany to attend a conference on computer transmission protocols for instrumentation. The day after I assigned him the task (and about 4 or 5 weeks before he needed to be there), he came to me with a AAA map of New York and Pennsylvania and said he couldn't find Germany much less Heidelberg.
I then had to instruct him in the basics of simple geography.
This happens because our education system teaches to the lowest common denominator.
Jack
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working in a map store I was visited by a couple of supervisors from American Express' Travel Office. They wanted a wall map of North America to help orient their agents. I showed them the large National Geo'. "That's not right!" they said. They wanted the one that showed the border Canada shared with Mexico!!!!. They wouldn't accept an explanation of the facts and decided against purchase. They thought it was a propogandist ploy and politically incorrect. Neither would they accept the alternative of Central America and Canadian maps as they still showed the US and showed it too large. They left in a huff saying they'ld find a shop that sold 'real' maps. Uh huh.

-Wlm Shakespeare
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you meet a new person, one of the inevitable questions is some variation of, “Where are you from?” I used to say I was raised in New Mexico. Now I am changing it to I was raised in the Southwest. I have long since lost track of the number of people who think New Mexico is part of Mexico. People have said, “It must be interesting/challenging to live in a foreign country.” I have been asked if the schools I went to used Spanish or English. These are educated professionals, teachers, and politicians.

Last week, I met a very recent political science graduate of an Eastern University working on a statewide political campaign. The inevitable question came up and I said, “I was raised in New Mexico very near where Route 66 crossed the Continental Divide.” I spent the next few minutes explaining that New Mexico is a state between Arizona and Texas and below Colorado. I then had to explain what Route 66 was and then explain that the Continental Divide is where rivers on the east side run into the Atlantic Ocean or Gulf of Mexico and rivers on the west side run into the Pacific Ocean.

I give up, I was born and raised in the Southwest.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lima Charlie,

Thoreau, NM is almost another nation, Navajoland.

-Wlm Shakespeare
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to enjoy telling Japanese people I was from Nebraska.
Some of them had actually heard of it. So they asked "what part".

I enjoyed explaining "South Sioux City. Sioux City is in Iowa, but North Sioux City is in South Dakota, and South Sioux is in Nebraska".

Also works fine with American Citizens. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: