SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wannabee Slayer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Wannabee Slayer Reply with quote

Sgt. GARY L. RENO
United States Army Retired

Life Member: American Legion
Life Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars
Member: 40/8
Member: Sons of the American Legion
http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Camp/7287/

My name is Gary L. Reno. I am a retired Army SFC. I am now what I always will be; A Soldier.

During the service to my country I never was Airborne, Special Forces, Ranger, Delta Force, MACVSOG or a member of ANY elite force. I wasn't in the San Tay Raid, Mekong Delta, or the Battle of Hue in 68. I never earned the Medal of Honor, Purple Heart, Silver Star or became a Prisoner of War.

I was an Engineer. An "Architect of Combat" in Vietnam and proud of it.

But I do have friends that served in those elite groups, fought in those battles, and yes, were POW's in Southeast Asia.

So what does all of this mean? Why should you care?

If you are a veteran you should be very concerned. Whether you belong to any veterans organization or not. For many of us, our PRIDE IN SERVICE is all we have left. To compromise our pride is unthinkable. But there are those who would compromise the Honesty and Integrity of each and every one of us. This has to stop! They started with a little barroom bragging down at their local post. This "harmless barroom bragging" has escalated into a disease that, (left unprotected) promises to make Agent Orange look like a minor skin rash.

From the "wild war story" comes confidence in having got away with it. Each time the story gets better (or at least it seems that way) and more carried away until someone starts to ask questions. Now they have to back up the claim. What better way to do that than produce a DD-214. An altered DD-214. After all, whose gonna really know what's in my records... They're safely tucked away in St. Louis! This is where the problem really starts. Each time the story gets bolder and bolder. More info gets added to the 214 and before you know it, this "COMBAT VETERAN" was an Officer who was a POW ( who witnessed such atrocities as his own men being skinned alive), received the Medal of Honor, Purple Heart, fought with MACVSOG, and participated in the San Tay Raid. He's emptied 50 round M-16 clips into VC, wore the Green Beret, and worked with Navy Seals. But, (this is the best part) he CANNOT tell you, in detail, any of the missions he was on because THEY ARE STILL CLASSIFIED!

I wish I could tell you that I just made all that up. Fact is, it was made up, but not by me. Anyone who would believe any of this "crap" is going through life with "EYES WIDE SHUT."

From here it gets worse:

1. They help their buddy alter his DD-214 so he can now meet the requirements for membership in the VFW.

2. They prominently display this altered DD-214 to impress their peers into electing them as their Post Commander, District Commander and other offices of importance.

3. By now they are so brave that they take the altered form to their local VA Hospital and claim PTSD. Now they get disability. Now they get "Free Medical Care" from the government. YOUR MEDICAL CARE!

There is another very important issue at stake here as well. What about those who were POW's? What about those who did receive the Medal of Honor and Purple Heart? I personally regard these soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines with the highest of respect. How could anyone stoop so low as to steal their Valor or use their pain? This has to be the LOWEST ACT of COWARDICE I have ever seen.

If you are still with me I beg each and everyone who has taken the time to read this to PLEASE send an E-Mail to the VFW. Tell your friends and fellow vets. If we ever needed to take a stand against an enemy, we need to take a stand now!

If you think a person is lying about his Military Service; then he probably is. Anyone can run a request for military records. You only need a F-180 (Request for Military Records form) and a cover letter requesting the records through the Freedom of Information Act. All you need to know is the FULL NAME, DATE of BIRTH, supposed BRANCH of SERVICE, and his/her Serial Number and/or Social Security Number. Or, if you like, send me the information and I will run it, for FREE. My E-Mail is: garylreno@cs.com

In closing, let me remind anyone who reads this that:

Altering a DD-214 is a Federal Offense.

Wearing of UNAUTHORIZED Medals is a Federal Offense.

FOREVER YOURS IN SERVICE:

Gary L. Reno
U.S. Army Retired
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVERY member of the armed services whether they are on the front lines or filling out forms in a supply depot is available and ready to stand up and take his place on the front lines to stop those who would do us harm.
It matters not whether they received a purple heart, bronze star or the MOH. It matters that they are there. They have earned equal respect with every other serviceman. This goes for veterans just as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the arrests:

http://want2be.info/arrests.php
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but my reaction to this particular anecdote (insofar as it is written) is not one of satisfaction that a fraud has been disgraced but a rather profound sense of melancholy that this once honorable "brother" felt compelled to tarnish what appears to be an already admirable record of service.

Of course, we have this...

Quote:
Cotta told the FBI (news - web sites) he bought the medal after the Army twice rejected his application for a Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military award. He said he then forged papers that would go along with a Distinguished Service Cross and sent them to Rep. Patrick Kennedy (news, bio, voting record), D-R.I.

Kennedy presented the bogus Distinguished Service Cross — the Army'ss second-highest honor — to Cotta in a ceremony in 2000.

The inquiry began when a researcher compiling information for a Web site was unable to find a record of Cotta receiving a Distinguished Service Cross. The Army said it had no record, either, and referred the case to the FBI.

...but we also have this...

Quote:
In addition to a Silver Star, two Purple Hearts and the Soldier's Medal, Cotta holds a Bronze Star with a "V" for valor for his actions when his unit came under attack in 1968. His platoon leader said Cotta, a medic, threw back an enemy grenade and ignored wounds of his own to treat other soldiers.

There are frauds that I take some joy in seeing exposed. I don't think this is one of them.
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: MOH Reply with quote

Since when does one "apply" for the MOH? Not once but twice?
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: MOH Reply with quote

AMOS wrote:
Since when does one "apply" for the MOH? Not once but twice?

All the more reason to suspect that this individual, perhaps, has some cognitive problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: