SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2.2 Million, Not 50,000 Active-Duty Troops' Records

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: 2.2 Million, Not 50,000 Active-Duty Troops' Records Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,198464,00.html

So not only are vets in danger most of our active duty folks were on this laptop too? WHAT KIND OF IDIOCY IS THIS???????????

All that information on one laptop????

I was wondering though (I do tend to get far fetched but.. look at who is sueing and then wonder as I did) was this really a random burglary? Was the person who had the laptop affiliated with any of these groups or maybe in sympathy with the anti-war folks?
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, given the idiocy of the media coverage, perhaps idiocy is the right word! SeeBS highlighted in their 6 Oclock news headlines, tonite, twisted versions of this, the Marine's Haditha, and other military situations...
When we find the idiot who masterminded the assembling of the data, hanging won't be good enough! oh, and this line from SeeBS: "Combat is for Scared 18 yearolds", etc..If I didn't know better, I would think that SeeBS has a personal vendetta against the military Wink ...Hell I was a scared 24 year old when I got to 'Nam!

Deuce
gotta stop watching SeeBS, just gotta
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting how only federal accounts are effected!!

Quote:
Friday, Feb. 25, 2005
A New Cyber-Security Breach

Bank of America says at least 1.2 million federal employee credit card accounts may be exposed to theft or hacking
By TIMOTHY J. BURGER
In the financial world's latest cyber-identity crisis, Bank of America today is warning the holders of at least 1.2 million of its federal employee credit card accounts that a major security breach may have left their account information exposed to theft or hacking, according to a senior U.S. official and Bank spokeswoman.

The U.S. official said that federal law enforcement is investigating the loss of several Bank of America data backup tapes that were being transferred across country by air when they disappeared in December. "We are proactively sending letters to impacted cardholders," said Alexandra Trower, spokesperson for Charlotte-based Bank of America. She said that after intensive account-monitoring, the tapes are at this point believed to be lost, not stolen. "We, with federal law authorities, have done a very robust, thorough investigation on this and neither we nor they would make the statement lightly that we believe those tapes to be lost," she said. "We have no evidence that the tapes have been accessed in any way. We have witnessed no unusual activity. And we've been monitoring the situation very closely."

The U.S. official said a large percentage of the accounts are for the Pentagon but that some 40 federal agencies and other entities are affected. Some of the tapes related to non-federal card-holders, the official added. Trower would not comment on which agencies are affected, referring questions to the General Services Administration. A GSA spokesperson had no immediate response to an inquiry about the matter, including whether any of the Pentagon's billions of dollars in secret "black" programs could be affected. Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said the data loss includes files on 900,000 of the Pentagon's three million or so military and civilian workers. "It is a significant number of the Department's employees," he said, declining to say whether it affected any who are working undercover.

SBD
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BREAKING NEWS:

The VA has just announced that if you enlisted on or after May 31, 2006 and nobody in your extended family has had any connection with the military since before the Civil War, your records are safe.

Otherwise, the VA now admits, you're pretty much hosed.
Rolling Eyes

Yeah, I also noticed the groups of vets who are suing over this. That also makes me wonder if this is a set up.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the VA hospital in Houston yesterday and the receptionists were talking about it. They said that the class-action lawsuit had originally sought a $1,000 cash payment to every vet whose records were compromised.
But they said a new lawyer has gotten into the act and he is upping the ante.
They didn't know by how much.
I would think monetary damages would be tied to actual damages incurred, if any, to each individual as it happens and not a blanket payment.
And I say that even though I'm one of the ones whose records are now possibly in someone else's hands.
Lawyers! I wonder how many dollar signs these lawyers are seeing dancing in front of their eyes on this one. You know they will take a huge percentage of any damages the courts assess on the govt.

Dusty
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ambulance-chasing lawyers behind this class action lawsuit are looking for quick, easy bucks to put into their own pockets, and nothing more. By assigning a dollar amount to each person, the lawyers get a quick, each way to estimate a value for damages (of which they assume - correctly, I believe - that they will rake their percentage off the top).

The problem with this scheme - I believe - other than the transparent greed displayed by the lawyers, is that if you or I, for example, should subsequently find out that we really did receive major damages, then the class action nature of the lawsuit would limit our damages (should we decide to pursue legal action on our own) to no more than agreed to in the class action lawsuit (minus, of course, the lawyers' fees).

But - and this is where I'm not clear - I also tend to think that you cannot be a party to such a class action lawsuit without giving consent. Any lawyers in the house?
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deuce wrote:
Well, given the idiocy of the media coverage, perhaps idiocy is the right word!

Consider that while computer CPU's have become much more ubiquitous and faster and "smarter", the human brain and pool of available, competent talent to run all those computers has not.

-- FDL
GenrXr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeep
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A just punishment for the creep who had to have this data on his PC would be 1 week incarceration on bread and water for every serviceman's or veteran's record compromised.
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LAPTOP RECOVERED BY FBI
The government has recovered the stolen laptop computer and hard drive with sensitive data on up to 26.5 million veterans and military personnel. The FBI said Thursday there is no evidence that anyone accessed Social Security numbers and other data on the equipment.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/06/29/D8IHVFQ00.html
BRAVO ZULU, FBI!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: