SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cliff Kincaid: "Why Fox News Is Losing Viewers"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Cliff Kincaid: "Why Fox News Is Losing Viewers" Reply with quote

In an earlier post, I wondered at the politics of FOX News' Judge Andrew Napolitano. Cliff Kincaid of Accuracy In Media has an answer to that question and suggests that FOX News may be actively working to dampen its conservative reputation...

Quote:
Why Fox News Is Losing Viewers
By Cliff Kincaid on Jun 30, 2006

I recently received a copy of conservative Howard Phillips' newsletter reporting that Judge Andrew Napolitano, Senior Judicial Analyst for Fox News, had delivered a speech accusing President Bush of imposing "a fascist-Nazi-Soviet style power grab" in America. This was Phillips' way of headlining and summarizing the thrust of Napolitano's remarks at an event sponsored by the libertarian Cato Institute.

Phillips exaggerated the nature and severity of Napolitano’s anti-Bush statements but not by much. Among other things, Napolitano said the Bush-supported anti-terrorist Patriot Act, which passed the Congress in 2001 by votes of 98-1 in the Senate and 356-66 in the House, was “abominable” and “unconstitutional” and “an assault on liberty.” The Cato Institute is strongly opposed to many of Bush’s foreign and domestic policies.

By staking out such a position, Napolitano has, of course, made common cause not only with libertarians but with the ACLU and others on the extreme left. NewsHounds, a website devoted to exposing the alleged conservative bias of Fox News Channel (FNC), has approvingly noted that Napolitano has made similar statements on FNC. When, for example, Napolitano was on John Gibson’s program attacking Bush for his NSA terrorist surveillance program, one of NewsHounds’ left-wing writers commented, “It is not our policy to give Fox employees blue ribbons, but I’ll definitely give the judge a bone.” This is just one of several accolades they have thrown his way. Napolitano is their kind of “conservative.”

But conservatives who believe in winning the war in Iraq and the global war on radical Islam see Napolitano’s anti-Bush rants as more evidence of FNC drifting leftward. The result is apparent in the ratings: FNC has lost viewers compared to last year. “I think many viewers are seeing a trend that they don’t like,” noted one former FNC enthusiast who wrote to me earlier this year. Broadcasting & Cable reports that FNC chief Roger Ailes is upset about the decline and blames “complacency” at the network. It was reported that he believes that bookers are “relying too heavily on the same pool of faces and settling for authors or actors after they’ve already been on CNN or...gasp...MSNBC.”

The trouble is that some of these faces are on the FNC payroll. When I wrote a column about FNC anchor Shepard Smith giving an interview to Playboy and attacking the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, I heard from many former FNC viewers who said that they had already given up on him. One said: “…it’s obvious that Smith knows nothing about their claims and evidence and is merely parroting the liberal line. This is what he means by fair and balanced? I have often wondered what his background is that he should have been handed a plum nighttime spot like that.”

Despite the solid work of hosts like Sean Hannity and Brit Hume and correspondent Eric Shawn, who has been a thorn in the side of the United Nations, FNC seems to increasingly feature talking heads like former Democratic Party presidential candidate Wesley Clark, now a “Fox News military analyst,” who constantly attacks the Bush Administration’s approach to Iraq and the war on terrorism. Clark was on the O’Reilly Factor show the other night urging the closure of the U.S. terrorist prison at Guantanamo Bay and the transfer of the prisoners to an international tribunal, possibly under U.N. jurisdiction. Host Bill O’Reilly, who repeatedly emphasizes that he is NOT a conservative but generally supports the Bush foreign policy approach, thought Clark had a valid point.

Another one of my columns, noting how FNC had given a platform to Howard Stern on the O’Reilly and Hannity & Colmes programs, prompted this response: “Thank you for the column about Fox drifting to the left. Actually, it is more of a lurch! I hope that Roger Ailes will take heed.” At AIM we have received hundreds of emails from conservatives over the last year expressing concern over the drift of the channel. Last year’s FNC program featuring the man-made global warming theories of liberal activist Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. was a tipping point for many. This program was so laughably one-sided that it’s doubtful that one of the traditional liberal networks would have dared to put it on the air.

The good news for FNC, according to a June 28 story in Media Week, is that it is still on top, drawing more viewers than CNN, which also saw a decline from a year ago (but not as large as the decline experienced by FNC), and MSNBC, which upped the size of its very small liberal audience. Reporter Anthony Crupi said that many observers attributed the ratings decline of Fox and CNN to “a particularly slow news cycle.”

But if you examine the potential size of the conservative audience available to FNC, there is no excuse for any decline. FNC is available in 80 million homes, the percentage of conservatives is 34 percent of the electorate, and yet FNC’s highest-rated program, the O’Reilly Factor, gets about 2 million viewers a night. His success, in my view, reflects his pursuit of conservative issues, such as going after liberal judges, the ACLU and George Soros. The obvious conclusion, however, based on the latest ratings plunge, is that FNC is not doing enough to appeal to its natural constituency. In fact, some of the programming seems to be turning off conservatives.

Liberals, who are only about 20 percent of the electorate, seem to be getting more and more attention from FNC. In fact, one of the leaders of that 20 percent, Senator Hillary Clinton, will be benefiting from a fundraiser in July being hosted by Rupert Murdoch, chairman of News Corporation, parent company of FNC.

By Cliff Kincaid on Jun 30, 2006 | Email: info@aim.org | Profile

News By Us
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once watched Fox News religously and as of the last year find myself tuning into the first few minutes to see what the segments are and after finding out its about the missing girl in Aruba tune out.

When is the last time a news channel actually carried news like what is happening in Zimbabwe or the Sudan? 10, 20 years ago?

I get more news viewing this forum then any cable channel will ever provide.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, Brit Hume, John Gibson and Neil Cavuto are still 3 hours worth of good viewing.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
IMHO, Brit Hume, John Gibson and Neil Cavuto are still 3 hours worth of good viewing.

Brit is really good. Gibson can be a flame thrower, which I also like. Neil is too nice for my taste.

In the end though, I would really like no more reports on the girl missing in Aruba unless there really is something new to add.
Leeman
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said it before, I'll say it again, do not watch Bor !!

Fox news sure let me down I was an advid viewer & supporter of thiers !

gheesh, I even bought BOR's book the no spin zone !!!!

"We are all Ghost now"
"But once we were men"

from an unsigned diary recovered from Cabanatuan Camp
joeshero
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We perhaps expect too much fairness from the cable news or media in general. In my view, the conservatives should not stop watching FNC, unless they want to switch to CNN or MSNBC, or until the channel is shifting to the left significantly.

I think BOR is trying to hold the balance. His interview with JKerry was dull and boring. I switched back and forth to Tucker on MSNBC during the interview. But then I realized that it might be a good idea to see how Kerry uttered his useless and narcissitic words. Indeed, for reasonable people, it was absolutely a boring interview and Kerry, again, showed himself to be narcissist and knows the answer to the whole problem in the US: remove Bush from the White House.

As for FNC in general, I once read that the Saudis have bought about 15% of its shares. And a liberal guy is the FNC's vice president. If that's true, it might have the influence over the shifting to the left. And if you notice, on FNC's coverarge on terrorisms, there has been little references to Islamofacist unlike in the past.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda with joeshero. What's the alternative?

Neil Cavuto and John Gibson are OK; Brit Hume's outstanding. That's a three hour block.

Shepard Smith always has been - IMHO - and it's showing more each day - a closet liberal. Nor does he apparently do much research on items he reports on, so he tends to follow the MSM meme. His schickt (sp?) is obviously aimed at the younger, less mature, viewers.

BOR is just BOR. What more can I say? He's full of ego and opinions, and though he thinks his opinions are backed by good research, I often find them lacking for depth and accuracy. He certainly was not a friend to the SBVFT, but on many issues he definitely takes a conservative stand. On other issues not. There might be a slight drift in his positions over the years to the left, but it's hardly discernable to me.

Hannity and Colmes is, and always has been, a light weight show IMHO. It's OK, I guess, if you just like to see how the very right and very left react to each other on issues, and other than that I can't see much useful value to the show.

Greta is Greta - where you go to get your fix if you're a unsolved crime nut.

And, I've always thought, Fox's format is by-and-large very tabloid oriented. It likes sensationalism and controversy, preferably accompanied by "action" video, over "boring" hard news.

So, I'll venture the opinion that I don't see much change in Fox's talking heads. What I do see, however, is a very large change in the expectations and desires of it's conservative watchers - probably because every other news organization is becoming more transparent in their bias and hatred of the current administration, and we'd all like something to "balance" that.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd like for Charles Krauthammer to rise to a more prominent position on Fox. His physical condition, however, would probably make that not possible. He is obviously conservative and his presentation of his positions is always lucid. A Brit and Charles Show would be dynamite.

Sheppard Smith is a playboy who seems to be auditioning for comedian. His true colors were on display when Fox sent him to New Orleans right after Katrina. Much unwarranted criticism of the Administration.

I suppose we have to endure Eleanor Clift, Bob Beckel, Wesley Clark, the shrieking Susan Estrich, and the rest of the left-parrots to get "balance", but it gets onerous at times.

The guy with the real professional demeanor, IMHO, is Chris Wallace who manages to make both sides feel vindicated after moderating a contentious pair of opposite-pole guests. Next to Brit, he's probably the best Fox has. Too bad he doesn't appear more often.

BOR is toast with me.

Schadow
GenrXr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schadow wrote:
Personally, I'd like for Charles Krauthammer to rise to a more prominent position on Fox. His physical condition, however, would probably make that not possible. He is obviously conservative and his presentation of his positions is always lucid. A Brit and Charles Show would be dynamite.

Sheppard Smith is a playboy who seems to be auditioning for comedian. His true colors were on display when Fox sent him to New Orleans right after Katrina. Much unwarranted criticism of the Administration.

I suppose we have to endure Eleanor Clift, Bob Beckel, Wesley Clark, the shrieking Susan Estrich, and the rest of the left-parrots to get "balance", but it gets onerous at times.

The guy with the real professional demeanor, IMHO, is Chris Wallace who manages to make both sides feel vindicated after moderating a contentious pair of opposite-pole guests. Next to Brit, he's probably the best Fox has. Too bad he doesn't appear more often.

BOR is toast with me.

Schadow

Shepard Smith definately has bags under his eyes 50 percent of the time hes on. Long night partying I would venture.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per riehlworldview via aussie finance news (sorry i don't have the link): Billionaire Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal owns 5.46 % of voting shares in the News Corporation (they own Fox). I also saw on the news where Murdoch is giving money to and backing Hillary on her run for the New York Senate. While I used to enjoy looking at Smith ( Wink ), he gets a big fat F for his Katrina coverage. He parks himself on Bourbon Street totally clueless while the city is flooding. Then he has the nerve to point out what others were doing wrong. I think he contributed to the whole mess myself. I've about decided that Hannity isn't that smart (sorry, but this last year has changed it for me. His heart may be in the right place, but that's about it. Give me Rush instead). No Bor for me, I watch Tucker on MSNBC. I agree that Fox is way to tabloid. I've been watching a lot of HGTV, sigh.
Stevie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could do with a lot more Charles K and a lot less Shep for sure!
use to even like shep - that wore thin I guess.

I usually like Neil C - except when the financial heads start yelling over each other - or he has Victoria Secret crap on....

and why is it that on Fox and Friends it takes 3 of them to say 2 or 3 sentences? that is so lame!

I usually try to catch some of bor to see what he is up to (keep your enemies closer....) I missed the interview w/ kerry - figure I didn't miss much tho.
not like he was gonna hold kerrys feet to the fire to get the 180 signed. he doesn't care. he is buds w/ kerry.
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Chris Wallace is the best of the lot.

Oreilly the worst of the lot.

Fox and friends is fun and I like the looks of julliette huddy.

There ain't nothing close to it from American Broadcasters.

Happy Fourth of July gang!
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys do realize, don't you, that it was Chris Wallace that BOR turned to to do the "investigation" of the SBVFT claims, and it was none other than Chris Wallace who made the report to BOR - on air - that there was nothing of substance (or words to that effect) to the SBVFT claims. It was this "report" that BOR kept referring to when the dissed the Swifties.

I remember it clearly. I will say, though, that I think Wallace's "investigation" was totally superficial (to support an artificially short deadline - like about 24 hours) imposed by BOR. But the damage was done at that point.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:
You guys do realize, don't you, that it was Chris Wallace that BOR turned to to do the "investigation" of the SBVFT claims, and it was none other than Chris Wallace who made the report to BOR - on air - that there was nothing of substance (or words to that effect) to the SBVFT claims. It was this "report" that BOR kept referring to when the dissed the Swifties.

I remember it clearly. I will say, though, that I think Wallace's "investigation" was totally superficial (to support an artificially short deadline - like about 24 hours) imposed by BOR. But the damage was done at that point.

Anker,
You have a great memory...now that you mention it, I saw that as well, but have always discounted Mike...er, Chris Wallace' shallow investigations as pure, liberal, "when did you beat your wife last", pap! ie, 1) establish agenda, 2) cook pics. Which goes to show how doubly shallow the BOR investigations must be!...outsourced to boot!
Deuce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: