SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battleground Newsletter 3 Bn.-135 Inf. 34 "Red Bull&

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Battleground Newsletter 3 Bn.-135 Inf. 34 "Red Bull& Reply with quote

I have referred to Reggie R Clark proudly in my posts on a number of times and had some requests for more so I thought I would try to post this info.

Reggie Clark served our country from 1941-1945 ( and after )
He was member of the 3rd Battalion 135th Infantry Regiment of the 34th Red Bull Division.

My 89 year old friend Reggie Clark (wish I knew him that long) has a newsletter that he publishes called the Battleground. you can contact him at
rclark@damaca.com or
battleground@damaca.com

Now for an interesting story about Reggie Clark. A tale that I think everyone will learn something from. I'm not a writer but I'll attempt a piece that I hope will give everyone some courage and reinforce their belief in the USA.

Reggie has told me his greatest claim to fame is that he is color blind. Soon after serving as a forward artillary spotter in North Africa he learned he could "see" German camoflaged positions.
Don't analyse this, maybe he also had super powers AND was color blind but Reggie was a real asset to his command.

Shortly after Reggie was promoted to Sergeant and commanded 3 soldiers. He was scared of this but was told by his CO that "as long as he treated his men as he would like to be treated and never asked them to do anything he wouldn't do" then everything would go well.

One day during the siege of Monte Cassino Reggie was asked to position one of his men in a lone tall tree centered between the German and American lines. Reggie couldn't ask any of his men to do this because he thought it was suicide. Instead He went. He smartly dug a deep foxhole at night about 50 feet from the tree. Then climbed the big tree and waited for dawn.

When dawn came it came quickly. Reggie realized that he could easily see the
German line. Shortly after this he heard an artillary shell screaming toward him. Apparently the Germans could also see him. One blast and
Reggie was diving for his foxhole. The tree was soon firewood. That night
Reggie Clark made it back to his line and remembered "don't send anyone to do anything you wouldn't do"

Reggie Clark -- North Africa Campaign ===Bronze Star
Italian Campaign =======Bronze Star
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: