SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for link to military site where you can look up if

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Looking for link to military site where you can look up if Reply with quote

someone was in military.
dbf is considering doing bz with a guy - and he is doubting some of the stuff the guy is telling him. He saw some paperwork indicating that the guy was in military and served in Vietnam.
he would like to check this out...and I thought I remember reading here that there is a site you can check if someone really was in military.
all dbf wants to know is if he really was. figures if the guy is lying about that he will lie about anything....lol!
he is also checking some other info (like about property owned etc - since it is a real estate deal).

thanks!
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.military.com/ is a good place to start. From there you can get lots of other links and leads. While there, you can also check out the Buddyfinder. It is a start, but it's amazing how many people have the same name.
Stevie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much buffalojack!

I'm hoping buddyfinder is what it sounds like.... I had a friend who was a Marine (many yrs older than I am ; he was a family friend tho) who worked out of the Federal bldg in FtWayne In but I think he really lived in Ohio....
lost tract of him 35 or so yrs ago.... maybe I can find him... would love to send him a note and see how he is doing. He did recruiting and came into Powers everyday (little hamburger joint across the street ). I worked there, as did my mom and one of my sisters... He was a real sweetie and actually so many of our customers were friends - they came in there so often!
Stevie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys...

I put my info out there on my friend so maybe he'll see it or someone who knows him! I have no idea about his 'unit' or anythng tho.

on the other guy (for my friend) he says he was a 1 star general. I only found his name listed as E3 and E4.
surely, a general (even 1 *) is higher than that. I don't remember much about the grades but my bil was E4 at one time and he was just a sgt !

Is everyone who served on that site? or can just anyone list themselves there? (or does military put them on there).
I signed up to 2 'sites' there to search. it doesn't give much info and the one just transfers out to a regulsr 'search' site thst you have to pay to get more info.
my friend wouldn't mind paying for it, if it's true info ...and the guy he is checking on.
I'm also gonna look up my dad's unit etc (have that info somewhere around here) and post to see if anyone who served with him is out there... ; of course, they'd be 80 or more now! Laughing
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie,

Military.com is a voluntary register. It lists only what the client enters and I don't know that there's any verification to the process. Most military commands won't notice a phoney. Elite units may pay closer attention. Posing as a Brigadier, O-7 would be too conspicuous. So, if your friend listed E-4 he likely was Enlisted Grade Four which is a corporal or petty officer third class.

An SS# will give keys to the kingdom.....but, ohhh. Many military units have their own sites maintained by some concientous soul. My old tin can was scrapped 6 years ago and has three different sites dedicated to it with command histories and deployments. Likewise the Navy keeps a record with unit citations.

If I remember right you're in the Phoenix metro. You may remember Duke Tully, the fromer publisher of the Az. Republic who spent a decade passing himself off as a Colonel and fighter ace of Korea and 'Nam. He'd appear at social events in full regalia, make small talk with old Barry Goldwater and was only discovered when the newspaper's staff thought to honor him. They contacted the AF for a list of all his awards but all the AF knew was that he was......an E-4, an E-4 with two years stateside.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: