SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volunteer Letter Writers Needed for Our Deployed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Volunteer Letter Writers Needed for Our Deployed Reply with quote

I have been coming to this sight off and on for the last few years, mainly to read and occasionally post. I know what a great Patriotic Group you are and I have come here for an appeal of help. I am a member of a group called Soldiers' Angels who adopt heroes through their deployment no matter where they are. As the years have passed the word is getting out about our group and with this new wave of deployments we are being swamped with submissions from our brave men and women serving. We do not want to let any of them down. If you would like to adopt, that would be great, but my main plea here is for letter writers. First how the program works. A soldier submits to SA and is assigned an Angel. That Soldier is than circulated through the Letter Writing Team (LWT) and will get letters from different Angels throughout his deployment so he has something on a regular basis at mail call. In the last few days we have had over 1,000 new soldiers sign up and don't even have the numbers for the last few weeks, but it has been incredible.

I posted the link below for more information and the last link is the one you click if you are not an adopter to just sign up for the LWT. How it works. You can sign up for as many letters that you want to write per week. You can also pick the day that you want to receive your name. If you want to write one letter a week and receive your name on Monday, than that is what will happen. If you want to write one soldier every day, then you request that and a name will be sent to you each day. If you want 4 names on Monday, that is good too. You can start off with one and decide to increase and if you are going on vacation, you can put your name on hold. You are required to send one card or letter only. If the soldier decides to reply to you, then it is up to you whether you want to keep that line of communication open. I am writing 4 letters, 5 days a week now and will be a LWT co-leader as of tomorrow to help out with the massive names we are dealing with now. I have about 4 different letters I keep and I reuse and when and if I get a reply, then I personalize the letter and address what they want to talk about. Reason I have several letters on file is that with the number I get a day, I sometimes get several guys/gals in the same unit and don't want them getting identical letters. I also enclose my e-mail address as sometimes it is easier for them to contact you back that way.

Also, I know that many of you have patriotic blogs out there. Please feel free to copy this information and take it to your blogs for appeals. We need good solid reliable people on this and this group immediately popped into my head. I know I don't even need to get into the value of a simple letter. So please, if you have an extra few minutes one or two days of the week, I ask you to consider this. Thank you for your time and consideration of this matter. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

http://www.soldiersangels.org/Letter_Writing_Team.php

Jan McCart
Proud Soldiers' Angel
May no soldier go unloved.
May no soldier walk alone.
May no soldier be forgotten,
Until they all come home.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan, good luck with this project and thanks for your efforts in behalf of our kids on the point. I'll sticky this for a few days.
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

Thank you very much.
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How truly wonderful and selfless. God bless you JannDallas! Smile

I am joining letter writers now! Thank you for the opportunity to help out and make a soldier happy!

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Great Reply with quote

Welcome aboard the LWT team Doll. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. The letters I receive are just incredible. I had one soldier I wrote back in May and just last week, I received a reply from him. I guess he kept my letter all this time and he wrote me back while he was waiting for his plane to Kuwait to start on his journey home. It is those very small things that just humble you and just appreciate who and what our troops are all about and how much word from home means to them. Most worthwhile thing I have ever done in my life.
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again and I am sure it is heartwarming to know those letters mean so much. Our troops need our support and what a better way to give it than with a letter. I am honored to be able to do my small part.

Our troops deserve our respect. I wish that during the Nam Era people were kinder to our Nam Vets. To date there still has not been any true justice. They never received that parade they so sorely deserve. Our government should be ashamed of how our Nam Vets were treated and so should the people that participated in the cruel hatred that was given them in return for their honorable service to our country for our government and people.

I hope that horrible lesson is learned and not repeated with our troops in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to echo what Doll just wrote! The Soldier's Angels is an awesome group. It was my pleasure to deliver one of the quilts made by Soldier's Angels Germany for a wounded Marine at Walter Reed.

Along with this group, the other group that is doing incredible work is the one that Doll uses with her signature--AnySoldier. That group is similar in that units register with AnySoldier (also now AnyMarine, AnySailor etc.) and supporters around the world can send them the small things that make their tour more comfortable. I have been baking Snickerdoodle cookies for 2 1/2 years now for servicemen in Afghanistan and Iraq! It's no wonder the troop morale is so high when there are so many patriots out there that want them to know they care.

I have met several of the Soldier's Angels and we have a mutual admiration society going! So, Jann, I'm going to go to your link and see what I can do! A letter a week sure won't break the budget Laughing And if the soldier is a Marine, the Motomail service is a blessing! You send your letter through a secure server and it is printed off in Iraq and hand-delivered to the Marine (or at least it is waiting there when they return to base!)

It would be fantastic to hear that more and more of the folks on the Swiftvet Forum had become letter writers!!!
helpmycountry
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: We have also got to write letters to stop the mistreatment Reply with quote

Just like Vietnam Vets this group of men is being called war crimminals by the kids who attend our Universities and even in the bible colleges.I was shocked to see them now calling WWi and II veterans war crminals. The lasy who will take hold of the seat if the Democrats win stood on the steps of the White house and said the US has a long history of abuse from our Veterans and we need to be ashamed and stop the abuse. At a time when our country needs all the strength she can get teh very epople who are in the Senate with Kerry talk like him and it is SICK!I first noticed even WWI and II Vets being cut down during the elction of 04 and brought it here for attention. I come back because it is much worse of a problem and the Democarts are actually paying people to go to web sites with kids and tear down Veterans. Do not take my word for it look for yourself .If you have a bad heart or stomach do not look. I saw it in Bruce Springsteins blog first and then Cher and many others. Not is is being said on the Capitol steps by top Democrats who will head the house if theyw in.O"Reilly does his best to get this out there but he cannot do it alone. Good grief Vets stand up and write and do not let this generation be pulled into such turmoil. They do not believe the holocaust occurred there for it makes WWI and II Vets war criminals. Last week at Columbia, and this by far not the first time, the kids threw things, shoved , pushed, shouted the N word, and more to an ex Officer who is now over the colleges of the US and the minutemen. They had signs stating WWI and II vets were also criminals and many more vile words. Moore and huis group is even paying people to write blogs in kids areas to teach them that Vets are murderers. He never even attended college but he has gained the force to throw Lieberman out and warned Clinton he would do the same with her.You have got to stand up and let them know there is more of us then them and all they are being taught is fiflth. Show them what you are amde of for the kids you are writing too. Red White and blue and Proud of it!
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be signing up for a letter and will take the info to my craft msg board.

this blog thing is terrible! and that Columbia U - oh my.... I was sure wishing that Monique girl (the mouthy one on hannity I think) was my daughter....

cause she'd be wishing she wasn't ! She'd be apologizing BIG TIME immediately or her tuition would be pulled ! (I'm sure hers is paid for.... of course, any dd of mine would not have that privilege).

any and all monitary support to her would be cancelled ASAP. Let her get a job and earn her own money. geeze!

what a bunch of spoiled rotten brats at these colleges and U's! They should lose their right to free speech for a month - since they don't deserve it and see how they'd like living WITHOUT our military! Cause that's what they'd have without 'em.
NO RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH!
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Letter Writers Reply with quote

Thank you one and all for those who have signed up. If you mention Swift Vets when you sign up, you will be assigned to me as your Letter Writing Team Leader. This group is wonderful and I mean the Swift Vets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: