SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boot Murtha Rally Wrap-Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Boot Murtha Rally Wrap-Up Reply with quote

Nice overview of yesterday's "Boot Murtha" rally by blogger "pennconservative". Congrats to Capt. Larry Bailey and all the organizers/contributors/attendees for bringing this issue to Murtha's backyard...

Quote:
Boot Murtha Rally Wrap-Up
By pennconservative

I attended the Boot Murtha rally against Congressman John P. Murtha in Johstown, PA today, and wanted to give a wrap-up for those of you that could not make it. If I had to guess, I would say that there were around 1,000 people there, although pictures may not reflect this because it was held at the War Memorial, which is a pretty large venue (it's where President Bush came when he visited Johnstown during the 2004 campaign, if that tells you anything).

First, let me say that I did not hear one person question Murtha's prior military service. In fact, Dave Beamer actually thanked the Congressman for his service, although he did follow that up by stating that prior service does not automatically forgive his statements and actions that he's making today. The calls from the left that people are trying to 'swift boat' Murtha are patently false. Murtha is being held accountable for the statements that he's making as a public servant regarding the war in Iraq and our soldiers that are fighting. Many find these statements particularly egregious given the fact that Murtha is a former Marine and should know better. However, noone has questioned Murtha's prior service, so the comparisons to the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth are false and a red herring designed to take the focus off of where it should be: what Murtha is saying and doing now.

As for the rally itself, most notable was the line-up of speakers. Murtha had professional politicians such as General Wesley Clark, Max Cleland and Bob Kerrey at his rally yesterday. These are individuals with no stake in this fight. The Veterans for Truth had men whose sons have died in Iraq, the father of one of the Pendleton 8 who Congressman Murtha has accused of killing innocent civilians in cold blood, a survivor of the attack on the World Trade Center, and the father of a hero that died on United Flight 93 on 9/11. Unlike Murtha's speakers, these are people who were deeply and personally affected by 9/11 and the War in Iraq, and they are united in their calls for Murtha to be ousted. The contrast could not be more clear.

These were regular guys like you and me who have been thrust into the world of politics by the loss of a loved one or some other circumstance beyond their control. They are driven to speak out against Murtha by a profound love of country and a desire to see justice done. They are offended and outraged by Murtha's attacks on our soldiers and the war effort in Iraq, and feel that they have no choice but to speak out. Murtha had to bus people in to his rally from Philadelphia, and recruited professional politicians for his efforts. Where are the mothers of the kids in Iraq at Murtha's rally? Where are the parents of slain soldiers in Iraq speaking out in Murtha's defense. Oh, that's right. They don't exist. Murtha's comments are beyond the pale, and his actions unbecoming those of a representative of the people. The Boot Murtha campaign is a patriotic effort to shed light on Murtha's statements and to remove him from public office. Murtha is responding to their efforts because he knows he's in trouble.

I'll be posting photos at my blog where this is cross-posted once I get them uploaded.

RedState
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hannity & Colmes clip - has snips of the Pro-Murtha Rally, then the Boot Murtha Rally.
(gotta love their poster with Murtha/Kerry graphic - shown at the end of this clip) on u tube

and the good news is -

Diana IREY is within 10 pts! This poll apparently was prior to the rally.
red state mobile
Quote:
New polling on the Irey-Murtha race

When the Irey campaign did preliminary polling last spring, the results were not encouraging. The 30-year incumbant in the PA-12 seat, John Murtha, led the little-known Diana Irey by thirty points.

Mr. Murtha was emerging as the liberal conscience of the Iraq war, and promised to gain ever more power and influence as part of the House Democratic leadership. He has high-profile influential friends and a bully pulpit provided by a compliant national media that gives him a regular spot on the Sunday shows.

If I were Commissioner Irey I might have considered throwing in the towel and going to the beach for the summer. Fortunately, she did no such thing.

Ms. Irey rolled up her sleeves and got to work. She has gained some recognition on her own as a staunch supporter of the armed forces, the mission in Iraq, an advocate for rigorous immigration policies and a fiscal conservative. She has also been drawing attention to Mr. Murtha's many failings.

And she's producing results. The campaign has just commissioned another poll by Public Opinion Strategies and Ms. Irey has closed the gap to ten points as the race now stands at 55%-45%. She gained ten points and brought Mr. Murtha down ten--and the momentum is all in her favor.

more….

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: