SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

There's this article...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: There's this article... Reply with quote

That appeared on my high school e-mail chat group:

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/200601019_after_pats_birthday/

OK. I read it. Does anyone know if Kevin Tillman actually wrote this?
It sounds just like the standard DNC boilerplate screed. Except he
forgot "The leadership smirks" and "The leadership can't pronounce
[Nuclear]". Now people are perfectly free to voice any opinion that
they want, but this just doesn't have the ring of a combat infantryman
to it. It might be, it just doesn't have the ring to it.

Snipe[/quote]
redleg2
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat and Kevin were in the same platoon and the platoon was split up when a vehicle was disabled. Kevin was in one segment and Pat was in the other segment. Is there a possibility that Kevin actually fired at his brother? The Army called the death a "fratricide". I wonder if it it actually was a fratricide.
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Kevin's been spouting off about anti-war stuff. I wonder what Pat would think.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a screen cap showing the "alt text" for the Truthdig logo...

That Mr. Tillman has chosen to cast his lot with Robert Scheer (who was vile enough to be fired from the LA Times...no mean feat) tells me all I need to know about what's transpiring here.

While Scheer is no secret, here's a quick look at the $$$ behind Truthdig...Zuade Kaufman (emphasis mine)...

Quote:
The woman behind Truthdig

New media reporter Anne Riley-Katz's LABJ piece on Robert Scheer's venture Truthdig.com focuses less on the deposed L.A. Times columnist and more on co-founder and publisher Zuade Kaufman. With good reason, since it seems that Kaufman—who comes from money and whose name opens doors in L.A. circles where Scheer's might not—played crucial parts in making the webzine happen.

Daughter of homebuilder Donald Kaufman, as well as a relative of billionaire Eli Broad, Kaufman is handling the site’s look and branding, as well as securing all the financing, contract negotiations and payments.

While Kaufman has long traveled in L.A.’s moneyed circles and is a member of the ACLU of Southern California’s board, Truthdig.com has put her in the limelight as never before.

“It’s a little bit overwhelming – we’ve fielded a lot of calls and the attention has just been amazing,” said Kaufman, a single mother who lives in Brentwood and spends part of each year living in France.

[skip]

Kaufman got her first job in journalism by working with Scheer at the Times as a researcher (she had met him earlier after being introduced by the Finnish consul general). Kaufman was then hired by the Westside Weekly, a Times community news insert, to work with Scheer on a column he did there. She also worked as a reporter for the section, but it was shut down in 2001 and she went on to get her masters of journalism at USC’s Annenberg School for Communication in 2005.
Kaufman calls her and Scheer equal partners in Truthdig, though she acknowledges putting in "family money."

<snip>

LAObserved

Can a photo-op with Kerry be far behind?
Bob51
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Pat Tillman Reply with quote

Hadn't heard of Mr Tillman but among the 1800+ comments on the piece I found this reference which was fascinating reading:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/magazine/09/05/tillman0911/
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pat Tillman Reply with quote

Bob51 wrote:
....I found this reference which was fascinating reading:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/magazine/09/05/tillman0911/

Just finished the read (thanks for the heads-up). At many points I found myself pausing for extended reflection, most of which I'll reserve commenting on.

However, as I sit here digesting this, I'm primarily struck by the writer's seeming inability (or unwillingness?) to empathize with the "humanity" of the numerous would-be "villains" he identifies in this piece. It would appear that his empathy wanes exponentially with his consideration of higher levels of authority (and concurrent responsibility), almost as though their "humanity", and how it might somehow persuade their actions and judgements, is unworthy of the same deep considerations he applies to Pat Tillman's life. You see, they are military hierarchy, hardly "human" and entitled to the same level of human empathy and understanding that he lavishes so profusely on his subject at hand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: