SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NY Post Editorial: "Jimmy For Terror"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: NY Post Editorial: "Jimmy For Terror" Reply with quote

I recently saw 2 of the Carter staff defectees being interviewed on one of the cable news channels (I assume FOX) but didn't have the time to tune into the substance. Well, the NY Post has enlightened me...

Quote:
JIMMY FOR TERROR

January 15, 2007 -- Has a former president of the United States - a Nobel Peace Prize winner, no less - given his blessing to wanton murder and terrorist assaults against Israel?

Sure looks that way.

How else to read that astonishing statement on page 213 of Jimmy Carter's new anti-Israel screed, "Palestine: Peace, Not Apartheid"?

To wit: "It is imperative that the general Arab community and all significant Palestinian groups make it clear that they will end the suicide bombings and other acts of terrorism when international laws and the ultimate goals of the Roadmap for Peace are accepted by Israel." (Emphasis added.)

You don't have to read between the lines here.

Carter isn't calling on the Palestinians to give up terror and murder now as a way to convince Israel they are serious about peace. Rather, he says they can wait until they've achieved their goals at the bargaining table. No need, says Carter, to give up terrorism until then.

Certainly, that's how 14 members of the Carter Center's advisory board read that paragraph. Indeed, it's why they angrily submitted their resignations last week.

That's also how Melvin Konner read it. He's a respected anthropology professor at Emory University and had been asked to be part of an academic group meant to advise the former president and the Carter Center on how to respond to criticism of the book.

As Konner wrote to John Hardman, the center's executive director, in declining the invitation: "I cannot find any way to read this sentence that does not condone the murder of Jews until such time as Israel unilaterally follows President Carter's prescription for peace. The sentence, simply put, makes President Carter an apologist for terrorists and places my children, along with all Jews everywhere, in greater danger."

Konner, by the way, is no Carter-basher; he describes the former president as "one of my greatest heroes."

But he is troubled by what he calls Carter's "rigid and inflexible views" that render him "no longer capable of dialogue" on the issue. He is deeply bothered by Carter's "complete failure to engage criticism from much greater experts than me about his numerous and serious errors" of fact in the book.

And he's understandably offended by Carter's "repeated public insinuations that the Jews control the media and the Congress - well-worn anti-Semitic slurs that, especially coming from President Carter, present a clear and present danger to American Jews."

How did this man ever become president of the United States?

He's gone from failed president to friend of left-wing tyrants and global scold of anything that represents America's legitimate interests.

Now, in his bid to demonize Israel (recall that he secretly gave PR and political advice to Yasser Arafat), Carter has turned mythmaker - distorting history and misrepresenting facts, when he isn't making them up altogether.

That's bad enough, of course.

But when he flatly condones mass murder, he goes beyond the pale.

It's time for the Democrats to finally cut all their ties to Carter, who was rehabilitated as a party icon at the 2004 convention. If they don't, Americans should consider the implications.

NY Post

HT:Powerline
USMCWayne
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carter was and is one of the worst Presidents of all-time.

President Ford equated Carter to Warren G Harding, which wasn't too far off the mark, but gives much too much credit to Carter.

I think Carter's Brother Billy could have done a better job than Carter.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USMCWayne wrote:
Carter was and is one of the worst Presidents of all-time.

President Ford equated Carter to Warren G Harding, which wasn't too far off the mark, but gives much too much credit to Carter.

I think Carter's Brother Billy could have done a better job than Carter.

Really. Anybody who has his own brandname beer can't be all bad. Very Happy

Dusty
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is mentally ill. That ideology has made him insane, as it does all lefty sophists.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard, through the Navy grapevine, a nasty rumor that Rickover would not allow him even near one of his submarines.

Unsubstantiated, to be sure, but, that said, I am of the firm belief that Jimmy Carter is the exception to "The Peter Principal".

He was promoted waaaayyyy beyond his level of incompetence.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagle wrote:
I have heard, through the Navy grapevine, a nasty rumor that Rickover would not allow him even near one of his submarines.

Unsubstantiated, to be sure, but, that said, I am of the firm belief that Jimmy Carter is the exception to "The Peter Principal".

Is there any way to substantiate it?? Rickover's papers or various military records??
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that I could, but alas the nearest source I have is a 1st cousin who was a nuke Electronics Tech on the Nautilus in the 57/58 time frame, several years after Carter had left for home (53, I believe).
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagle wrote:

Carter wasn't an exception. That IS the Peter Principle. Come to think of it, it should be called the 'Politician Principle'.
USMCWayne
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a Carter fan, and still feel he was a horrible President and is an even worse ex-President, but he did seem to be a fairly competent submariner.

From his bio...

Quote:
(Carter) was commissioned as an Ensign in the United States Navy in 1946.

After serving on conventional submarines in both the Atlantic and Pacific, Carter joined the Navy's pioneering nuclear submarine program. After graduate studies in nuclear physics at Union College in Schenectady, New York, Carter was selected by Admiral Hyman Rickover to serve as engineering officer of the Sea Wolf, America's second nuclear submarine.

Carter had reached the rank of Lieutenant Senior Grade when his military career was cut short by the death of his father. In 1953, Carter resigned his commission...

At another forum, a writer states...

Quote:
Carter graduated 59 out of 820 in his class at Annapolis.

To give credit where credit is due that was a great achievement. Carter was apparently also a very talented submarine officer. His mild manner and calm disposition was well suited to submarine service.

Carter was also one of the first officers selected by ADM. Rickover for the Nuclear Submarine command program. Again, a worthy achievement. No doubt in my mind that Carter would have commanded a Nuclear sub and gone on to admiral rank had he continued his time in the Navy.
USMCWayne
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, could it be, that Carter's bio is a bit, shall we say, inflated?

This from Atomic Insights

Quote:
One myth correction, however. President Carter was a submarine officer, but he was not a nuclear engineer.

He graduated from the US Naval Academy in June 1946 (he entered in 1943 with the class of 1947, but his class was in a war-driven accelerated 3 year program) with an undesignated bachelor of science degree. Even if the Naval Academy had offered a majors program for his class, it is unlikely that it would have included Nuclear Engineering as a option - after all, the Manhattan Project was a dark secret for most of his time at Annapolis.

After graduation, Jimmy Carter served as a surface warfare officer for a two years and then volunteered for the submarine force. He served in a variety of billets, including engineer officer of diesel submarines and qualified to command submarines.

In November 1952, he began a three month temporary duty assignment at the Naval Reactor branch. He started nuclear power school (a six month course of study that leads to operator training) in March, 1953. In July 1953, his father passed away and he resigned his commission to run the family peanut farm. He was discharged from active duty on 9 October, 1953. According to an old friend of mine who served as Rickover's personnel officer at Naval Reactors, LT Carter did not complete nuclear power school because of the need to take care of business at home.

The prototype for the USS Nautilus was completed in Idaho in May 1953, so LT Carter might have had some opportunity to see it in action before leaving the Navy. However, the USS Nautilus did not go to sea until January 17, 1955, so there is no possibility that he ever qualified to stand watch on a nuclear powered submarine.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe his legacy will be that he was a great 'Fact for Fiction' exchanger.
He sure was a terrible president.
Someone sent me a video clip of a rabbit chasing a snake. Must have been the same rabbit that attacked Carter.

Dusty
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dhimmi Carter ???
gmez2001
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
He is mentally ill. That ideology has made him insane, as it does all lefty sophists.

GenX; You got that, one sick a-- puppy
GenrXr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USMCWayne wrote:
But, could it be, that Carter's bio is a bit, shall we say, inflated?

This from Atomic Insights

Quote:
One myth correction, however. President Carter was a submarine officer, but he was not a nuclear engineer.

He graduated from the US Naval Academy in June 1946 (he entered in 1943 with the class of 1947, but his class was in a war-driven accelerated 3 year program) with an undesignated bachelor of science degree. Even if the Naval Academy had offered a majors program for his class, it is unlikely that it would have included Nuclear Engineering as a option - after all, the Manhattan Project was a dark secret for most of his time at Annapolis.

After graduation, Jimmy Carter served as a surface warfare officer for a two years and then volunteered for the submarine force. He served in a variety of billets, including engineer officer of diesel submarines and qualified to command submarines.

In November 1952, he began a three month temporary duty assignment at the Naval Reactor branch. He started nuclear power school (a six month course of study that leads to operator training) in March, 1953. In July 1953, his father passed away and he resigned his commission to run the family peanut farm. He was discharged from active duty on 9 October, 1953. According to an old friend of mine who served as Rickover's personnel officer at Naval Reactors, LT Carter did not complete nuclear power school because of the need to take care of business at home.

The prototype for the USS Nautilus was completed in Idaho in May 1953, so LT Carter might have had some opportunity to see it in action before leaving the Navy. However, the USS Nautilus did not go to sea until January 17, 1955, so there is no possibility that he ever qualified to stand watch on a nuclear powered submarine.

Can you please provide a link?

Thank You
USMCWayne
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is...

http://atomicinsights.blogspot.com/2006/01/picking-on-jimmy-carter-myth.html

Also, part of Carter's interview, when he won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Quote:
Outside my family, the main person, outside of my father, the main man who has had an influence on my life is Admiral Hyman Rickover. I was one of the two young officers in the program to build atomic submarines. There were two built: the Nautilus and the Sea Wolf. I was in charge of the crew that was helping to build the Sea Wolf and building the nuclear power plant that later became a prototype. Rickover was a man who demanded absolute excellence and total dedication from all those who worked under him. He demanded as much from himself. And so he set a standard of commitment and perfection in life that I had never experienced before. He really had a great impact on my life.

http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/car0int-1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: