SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C3I failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob51
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: C3I failure Reply with quote

XXX

Long and instructive video, though a tragedy for all involved.

----------
I didn't know when I posted the link that the linked video is still classified in the U.S. Since I haven't time to read the Patriot Act on the consequences for a website of "linking" to classified material, I deleted the link.
Bob51
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For context, the discussion is front page news on most of today's U.K. papers without giving the link to the video although that's still available from the same source I originally referenced.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did you leave china? How is Belfast? Anything interesting you would like to share about China?
Bob51
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
When did you leave china? How is Belfast? Anything interesting you would like to share about China?

I left China in mid-summer after 14 years because I wanted my son to start his secondary education in the Northern Irish system.

Regarding Belfast, here is a link http://property.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,14029-2578465,00.html
Quote:
Belfast, the city once known to the world as, at best, a bleak backwater and, at worst, a lawless den of sectarian violence, has reinvented itself in recent years as a glossy, cosmopolitan tourist destination, with more martinis, minimalist loft apartments and skyscrapers than its population of 700,000 people know what to do with.

The city’s regeneration is appropriately centred on the former shipyard that once employed 30,000 people, 60 per cent of the city’s workforce. The 185-acre site next to the city airport where the Titanic was built (local saying: “she was all right when she left here”), is to be home to the largest mixed-use waterside development in Europe: Titanic Quarter.

The article is mostly about the property boom here but the politics are also at a critical stage with former terrorists from both sides of the conflict now almost reconciled. There have been delegations here from Baghdad to learn from this experience. Many senior policemen with anti-terrorism experience have discovered new consulting careers in Iraq though when I spoke to one at a rugby match last Saturday he took that view that having survived six bombs aimed at him personally he wasn't going to chance it now in Iraq for any amount of money.

Re: China

I'd recommend two books that are entertaining as well as informative.

Mr China by Tim Clissold
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/0060761407/ref=cm_cr_dp_pt/105-2655736-8257259?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books
and

China Shakes the World: A Titan's Rise and Troubled Future by James Kynge
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/0618705643/ref=cm_cr_dp_pt/105-2655736-8257259?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

I've heard both of them in person but it's better to just read the books.

bob51
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: