SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about the Vietnam Memorial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Questions about the Vietnam Memorial Reply with quote

The questions about the Vietnam Memorial include:

1. When was it built??

2. Has it been vandalized previously?? - I seem to remember a news report about it may years ago.

3. Who paid for the WWI, WWII, Korea and the Vietnam Memorial???

4. Any and all information about the many various war memorials in DC and across the country will be greatly appreciated.

I figure that there could well be some posters here who have first hand knowledge considering the Vietnam Memorial and others located through out the country.

I am going to be using search engines looking for various sites with information, but I am pretty sure that others here have links to very good sites.

As one man put it on a welding related website, Knowledge must be shared or it lies dead in the mind.

I think that he was in the Navy in the early 60s.
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The organization charged with the private donation fund raising for the building and maintaining of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial is the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund.

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund is the 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization authorized by Congress in 1980 to fund and build the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C.

The Memorial Fund takes an active role concerning the physical needs of The Wall, The Three Serviceman statue and flagpole, and the rest of the three-acre site on which the Vietnam Veterans Memorial rests.

Services provided by the Memorial Fund include the insurance of The Wall against damages, provision of copies of the Directory of Names to assist visitors on-site, Wall cleaning and maintenance. The Memorial Fund also adds names to The Wall and makes status changes for those whose remains have been returned home.

The Memorial Fund continues to work with highly qualified engineers and architects to monitor the short and long-term needs of the Memorial.

Link to the home page is below:

http://www.vvmf.org/index.cfm?SectionID=1

FAQs about the Vietnam Memorial is located at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund website.

http://www.vvmf.org/index.cfm?SectionID=85

To donate to the Memorial Fund for it to continue with its important mission

http://www.vvmf.org/index.cfm?SectionID=1

This has been very educational for me. Was not aware of much of this at all.
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about the Vietnam Memorial Reply with quote

Harvuskong wrote:

2. Has it been vandalized previously?? - I seem to remember a news report about it may years ago.

Perhaps I should have have said - Has it ever been vandalized??

Still can not find anything at all about the Washington Wall being damaged in the past.

Oh well, it might have been a state memorial.
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about the Vietnam Memorial Reply with quote

Harvuskong wrote:
Harvuskong wrote:

Perhaps I should have have said - Has it ever been vandalized??

Still can not find anything at all about the Washington Wall being damaged in the past.

Oh well, it might have been a state memorial.

I assumed it was "defaced" or vandalized at one of the previous protests. But all I can find is where there was fear it would be "defaced" so the Vietnam vets protected it.

Here is a site that shows past memorials that were damaged by anit war protestors. http://home.comcast.net/~bfmuldrake/why.html photos about half way down the page.

On that same page I found this:
Philadelphia Inquirer - May 28, 1996

Vandals Hit City Vietnam Memorial-The Monument Has Been Defaced Several Times.
"I'm Sickened, I Was Kind of Exasperated to Think That Someone Would Do Something Like This", One Veteran Said.

The Philadelphia Vietnam Veterans Memorial was defaced yesterday. Again. Vandals darkened part of the monument's granite walls, marking at least the fourth time the memorial has been soiled since its opening in October 1987. The vandals struck early on the day most sacred to veterans, who did not discover the damage until yesterday morning - during preparations for a Memorial Day ceremony.

Philadelphia Inquirer - May 4, 1988

The Vietnam Memorial Is Defaced

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial has been defaced with several scratches including one resembling a swastika, according to National Park Service officials. This is the first time the memorial has been damaged since it opened in 1982, they said. The 493-foot-long black granite wall, inscribed with the names of more than 58,000 service personnel who were killed in the Southeast Asian conflict, has become the most visited monument in the capital.
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the information, Ohio Voter!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: