SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Majority Leader Reid: Out of Touch and Undermining Troops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Majority Leader Reid: Out of Touch and Undermining Troops Reply with quote

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, June 18, 2007

Majority Leader Reid: Out of Touch and Undermining Troops
NEW YORK - Vets for Freedom, a pro-mission veterans group dedicated to communicating America's strategy in Iraq, professes both confusion and outrage over recent comments made by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV). Senator Reid arrogantly declared General Petraeus "out of touch" with what is going on in Baghdad, all the while-from the safety of Washington, DC-proclaiming his defeatist opinions, which undermine the war effort and embolden America's enemies.

Three important facts color Senator Reid's absurd statement: 1) Senator Reid, the man who called General Petraeus "out of touch," voted to confirm him in January of 2007; 2) Senator Reid, the man who purports to be more "in touch" with events in Baghdad, hasn't been there since March of 2005; and 3) when Senator Reid came home from Iraq in March of 2005, he said ""I came away with the feeling we cannot leave Iraq. If we do, the terrorists will have won."

"It sounds to me like Senator Reid is out of touch with himself (referring to his March, 2005 comments after visiting Iraq) and in perfect synch with left-leaning activist groups who have declared defeat in Iraq," says Pete Hegseth, Vets for Freedom Executive Director.

Hegseth, an Iraq War veteran, goes on to say "While General Petraeus is busy in Baghdad doing everything possible to defeat Al Qaeda and marginalize militias in order to bring about success in Iraq, Senator Reid is hard at work doing everything he can to declare defeat and undermine American strategy. His words are the height of irresponsibility."

Senator Reid made the disparaging remarks about General Petraeus during a conference call with liberal bloggers-an arena in which he surely felt comfortable sharing his true beliefs. Long professing to "support the troops" in public, Senator Reid feels very comfortable trashing them in private. It appears that Senator Reid wants the mission-as well as the troops-to fail.

Vets for Freedom boasts an ever-growing network of veterans who believe in the need to defeat radical Islamist insurgents in Iraq. Below is a list of six such Vets for Freedom members who are available to discuss the Iraq war in any media forum. Please feel free to contact these combat veterans directly:

Staff Sergeant David Bellavia - 585-409-6692 - New York State
Captain Karl Blanke - 703-409-9130 - Washington, DC
Major Eric Egland - 530-205-5582 - Sacramento, CA
Lieutenant Brandan Mueller - 314-477-3639 - St. Louis, MO
Lieutenant Erik Swabb - 540-878-9535 - Washington, DC
Lieutenant Wade Zirkle - 540-335-2848 - New York, NY

Learn more about Vets for Freedom at www.vetsforfreedom.org
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't feel Reid is really that out of touch. I am of the opinon he knows full well what he is doing with absolutely no regard for the outcome, other than to embarrass the administration by causing defeat and in their view, more Democrats elected in 2008.

As it is going, I think they are politicizing this war worse than did Viet Nam and actively trying to destroy all the public support they can. All for votes and a hopeful return to absolute power over the country.

What he says now,

Sen. Reid: "[The Bush Administration] Manipulated And Cherry-Picked Intelligence To Hype The Threat." (Sen. Reid, Floor Statement, U.S. Senate, 11/15/05)

Sen. Reid: "We Need To Know What Information Was Cherry-Picked And What Contrary Facts They Ignored." (Sen. Reid, Press Conference, 11/7/05)

Sen. Reid: "We Must Know To What Extent This Administration Unfairly Hyped Iraq's Alleged Nuclear Capabilities And Links To Al Qaeda In Order To Sell Its Case For War." (Sen. Reid, Press Conference, 11/7/05)

Sen. Reid: "Staying The Course Is Not A Winning Strategy." (Sen. Reid, Floor Statement, U.S. Senate, 11/15/05)

What he said before,

Sen. Reid: "It's Good That The President Reminded The World Of The Commitments (Saddam) Has Reneged On." (Doug Abrahms, "Nevada Delegation Split On Action Against Iraq," Reno Gazette-Journal, 9/13/02)

Sen. Reid: "Saddam Hussein, In Effect, Has Thumbed His Nose At The World Community. And I Think That The President's Approaching This In The Right Fashion." (CNN's "Inside Politics," 9/18/02)

Sen. Reid: "[Saddam] Is Too Dangerous Of A Man To Be Given Carte Blanche With Weapons Of Mass Destruction." (Brendan Riley, "Nevada Leaders React To Iraq Bombing," The Associated Press, 12/17/98 )

Sen. Reid: "We Stopped The Fighting [In 1991] Based On An Agreement That Iraq Would Take Steps To Assure The World That It Would Not Engage In Further Aggression And That It Would Destroy Its Weapons Of Mass Destruction. It Has Refused To Take Those Steps. That Refusal Constitutes A Breach Of The Armistice Which Renders It Void And Justifies Resumption Of The Armed Conflict." (Sen. Harry Reid, Congressional Record, 10/9/02, p. S10145)

Sen. Reid: "The Problem Is Not Nuclear Testing; It Is Nuclear Weapons ... The Number Of Third World Countries With Nuclear Capabilities Seems To Grow Daily. Saddam Hussein's Near Success With Developing A Nuclear Weapon Should Be An Eye-Opener For Us All." (Sen. Harry Reid, Congressional Record, 8/3/92, p. S11188)

Source
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
I don't feel Reid is really that out of touch. I am of the opinon he knows full well what he is doing with absolutely no regard for the outcome, other than to embarrass the administration by causing defeat and in their view, more Democrats elected in 2008.

Lew, I go back and forth with this, myself.

On the one hand, no rational person could observe the repeated, vehement reaction to their own statements without somehow understanding that they're missing on most of their cylinders. He has to be doing this for some perverted motive of his own.

On the other hand, I did say no rational person could observe.... etc, etc.

There's plenty of evidence for Reid being just a die-hard, hard-core Err Amerika type, Michael Moore-hugging liberal.... maybe he's so busy listening to the Sheehans and Sheens of his party to realize that he's sounding like nonsense to those of us who haven't drunk the Kool Ade.

But... there's just as much to support the idea that he's living in some la-la-land of his own making, where his wild-eyed rantings and mumblings make sense.

What to choose, what to choose.... Wink
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what to think about him.

He's a walking talking idiot and in times of yore he would be hanging from the gallows for treason.

Dusty
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, Lew.
Reid will say anything to elect more Dems. The sad thing is that it encourages our enemies and gets more of our troops killed.

BTW, Fred Thompson NAILS Reid:
Quote:
~SNIP~

I suppose that's easier for some than admitting that they've flip flopped -- but the fact that Reid says this sinister Republican plot is going to help him elect more Democrats ought to be raising a few flags. Saying General Pace is incompetent doesn't even rank near the top of his bizarre statements.

How could anyone possibly believe, as Reid charges, that our commanding general in Iraq, David Petraeus, is out of touch with what's going on. Surely someone in Reid's position would know that Petraeus is briefed daily on all aspects of Iraq -- from civil to military. Surely he has to know that Petraeus is a true warrior scholar who literally wrote the Army's book on counterinsurgency warfare.

But Reid's comments are not meant for logical analysis. He proclaimed the war lost some time ago, and the surge as a failure even before the additional troops were on the ground. The problem is that every one of Reid's comments I've noted here has also been reported gleefully by Al Jazeera and other anti-American media.

Whether he means to or not, he’s encouraging our enemies to believe that they are winning the critical war of will.

http://abcradionetworks.com/article.asp?id=425306&SPID=15663

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: