SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honored to Join

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iwo
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Honored to Join Reply with quote

My service:

USNR, 1965-1969

Most of my time was aboard the USS Iwo Jima (LPH-2). I was a LT(jg) and my primary assignment was Ass't. Flight Deck Officer. We had two cruises to Vietnam.

The Iwo was a "Landing Platform Dock" or Amphibious Assault Ship or, in civilian vernacular a "helicopter carrier." In combat there were about 2300 men aboard (no women in those days). Ship's crew was 500 men and 50 officers. Add about 1500 men in the Marine Combat Battalion, plus a bunch more from the Marine helicopter squadron (24 birds). Yeah, it got nice and cozy. We also had a 220 bed hospital on the ship.

We could land the Marines and their gear, feed and resupply them, and bring all the dead and wounded back to the ship for 9 days without any resupply on our part. We sailed up and down the Vietnam coast, mostly between DaNang and the DMZ and participated in many actions, including Deckhouse IV, V, VI. We won the Admiral Flatley Memorial Award for having the safest flight deck in the Pacific Fleet, two years in a row, which is a real testament to the professionalism of the crew and pilots.

I remember (can never forget) how vets were treated when I returned home. Damn, I was afraid, when applying for a job that I would get turned down because of my Vietnam time. It was a terrible dilemma because so many people thought our service was immoral. The first time anyone bought me a drink for my service was here in Texas, about 5 years ago: A neighbor who turned out to be a fellow vet! About a year after that, on Veterans Day, while working out in a gym, a young man asked me if I was a vet. I said yes. He offered his hand and said "Thank you, sir." Gotta love Texas. I'm glad I ended up here.

Now, to Jean-François Kerry: I have despised him ever since seeing his testimony to the Senate. Before that my "despising" had been primarily reserved for Hanoi Jane.

It wasn't until Ronald Reagan healed a lot of the wounds by publicly supporting us that I began to feel better about those years.

Now we are faced with the possibility of having an abhorrent man as Commander-in-Chief. President Bush has done a good job in helping the military recover from the dreadful Clinton years. I cannot imagine the damage that will again be done if Jean-François is elected.

Bless all of you SBVT guys. You have an armada of support amongst vets, including Navy, Army, Marines. I don't know any Air Force guys, but I would imagine they feel the same way, as would our Coast Guard buddies.

The courage you are showing by subjecting yourselves and your families to the venom of the media and the DNC is admirable. From what I can see you are not going to let the bastards grind you down. Keep up this vital work. I am doing what I can to spread the word, have ordered the book on Amazon.com and have made a small donation. This website is helping me. I have also written to Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity supporting your efforts. Between now and the election I'll be writing many more letters.

FLANK SPEED AHEAD gents.

Thank You.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. Thank you for your service. I did not serve in Nam. I served during what I call the hangover years 75-79 of Carter. The first thing Carter did was give the dodgers amnisty 1/76.

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. Batten down the hatches, and prepare for heavy rolls until after the election.

About a month ago, the wife and I were eating breakfast at Cracker Barrel, and I had on my "Vietnam - Desert Shield/Storm" hat. When we asked for the check, we were told that our meal was paid for, and that whomever paid for it said to thank me for my service to our nation. I asked who it was, so that I could thank them, but was told that the person wished to remain unknown.

That blew me away! I've been told Thank You for your service more in the last year than in the previous 34 years.

Friggin' War Woof!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
Iwo
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coldwarvet wrote:
Welcome aboard. Thank you for your service. I did not serve in Nam. I served during what I call the hangover years 75-79 of Carter. The first thing Carter did was give the dodgers amnisty 1/76.

Thanks for the welcome. "Hangover years," I love it. Hey, I don't care if a guy was a typist in North Dakota--if you served, you served, and my hat is off to you. In fact, since you served under Carter you probably deserve for the hat to be taken off twice, since it must have been hard to keep up the morale.

Cheers
Iwo
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

War Dog wrote:
Welcome aboard. Batten down the hatches, and prepare for heavy rolls until after the election.

About a month ago, the wife and I were eating breakfast at Cracker Barrel, and I had on my "Vietnam - Desert Shield/Storm" hat. When we asked for the check, we were told that our meal was paid for, and that whomever paid for it said to thank me for my service to our nation. I asked who it was, so that I could thank them, but was told that the person wished to remain unknown.

That blew me away! I've been told Thank You for your service more in the last year than in the previous 34 years.

Friggin' War Woof!

Thanks, War Dog. Glad you got that free meal. You are correct about the mood change, although for me I think most of it is the result of being in Texas instead of California. Very Happy

By the way, it was my intention for this thread to be posted in "Vets Only! Report for Duty" but with my rudimentary computer skills it ended up here. If you folks want to move it permission granted.

It is so refreshing to read on this site--all the sanity is overwhelming me after the deluge of uninformed, twisted "Orwell 1984" crap which passes for news these days. Maybe SBVT will live on even after the election.

Well, guess I better get out the foul weather gear in preparation for the months ahead.
DrEntropy
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bless all of you SBVT guys. You have an armada of support amongst vets, including Navy, Army, Marines. I don't know any Air Force guys, but I would imagine they feel the same way, as would our Coast Guard buddies.

This Air Force guy does feel the same. Can't pass this site to enough people fast enough!

The few times I've been thanked for my service have ALL been after Desert Storm. Before that the prevailing attitude seemed to be in accord with the vituperous spewings from the likes of Hanoi Jane and Kerry. If there were a job applied for, even if I had outstanding qual's, it went to someone without service in 'Nam. Rather than quit listing it on resumes, I quit applying for those jobs, then junxtaposed hobby and profession to earn a living. I don't want to see the next generation inherit the same phobias: it's a total waste of training and resources, not to mention crushing to those whom choice/chance has put "in harm's way."

...yes, I'm a *bit* bitter, as well.

"The flames kindled on the fourth of July, seventeen hundred and seventy six, have spread over too much of the globe to be extinguished by the feeble engines of despotism." -- Thomas Jefferson
Iwo
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrEntropy wrote:
Quote:

This Air Force guy does feel the same. Can't pass this site to enough people fast enough!

The few times I've been thanked for my service have ALL been after Desert Storm. Before that the prevailing attitude seemed to be in accord with the vituperous spewings from the likes of Hanoi Jane and Kerry. If there were a job applied for, even if I had outstanding qual's, it went to someone without service in 'Nam. Rather than quit listing it on resumes, I quit applying for those jobs, then junxtaposed hobby and profession to earn a living. I don't want to see the next generation inherit the same phobias: it's a total waste of training and resources, not to mention crushing to those whom choice/chance has put "in harm's way."

...yes, I'm a *bit* bitter, as well.

I somewhat weasled-out, finally, on my resume. I needed a job, the tires on my '59 Chevy beater were bald... I deleted the details of my service, which I thought would impress a prospective employer, to a simple one-sentence line item: "1965-1969, Officer, USNR". I sweat through the interview waiting for a hostile question, but the place which hired me evidently was an early-adopter of a "We won't ask, please don't tell us" policy on Vietnam. How sad.

About the bitterness--oh, my, lasted for years, read, decades. I was finally able to throw out most of the garbage when I moved to Texas and began to participate with a group of vets. Very cathartic. After talking with some Korean War vets I realized that their experience had been similar to ours in the sense that they had not been allowed to really pursue the war, had one hand tied behind their back. It seems strange now to be re-living all this, but it is necessary to prevent a Hanoi John from becoming Commander-in-Chief.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: