SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What brought you here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noghri
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: What brought you here? Reply with quote

This is what brought me here, an email from my squad leader (we are really only a 12 man (opps not PC, IDGAF) Det). But anyways here we go. NOTE: Unedited except for email addy's are taken out.

From Char Roberts
Sent Thursday, August 5, 2004 9:11 am
Subject Let's pretend I am a war hero...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, this is not something I am forwarding....
I wrote this because so many of us only know (and pass along) what the media tells us. When was the last
time you heard something on CNN or Fox or some other channel, only to do some research on your own, then
find out that they left out very important info that would affect how you viewed the subject, or they
added their own "spin", again, to affect the public view of the subject to MATCH THEIR OWN????

Here's a little light shed on how Kerry is making his "veteran status" and 4-month tour of duty a main part of his campaign.
http://www.swiftvets.com/index.php
You're only hearing one side. His.

Read about what some of the men (from comrades to commanders) think of him/his service. Read about what he DIDN'T tell you.

I am still open minded, but as a veteran, this raises some serious questions.
I have also served with officers who, to most, appeared to be upstanding and of high moral value.
However, when found in a sticky situation, they had not one qualm about lying to get out of it.
These are our OFFICERS!! We are supposed to look to them for leadership....
Integrity should be their watchword.
So often this is not the case.... yet, only those below them ever see it.
How often do we see a shady one lie, cheat and/or steal, only to get kudos, raises and promotions? (A former President comes to mind!!!)

Of my almost 12 years of service, I have met many officers, and most I hold in high respect until this day.
There are even some I will never forget, for they did something the Army preaches, they "Led by example".

There are seven core values in the Army:
Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity and Personal Courage.
You are asked to live by these codes when you raise your right hand to defend your country.
Why is it that these same values are not required when running for President of the United States?

I have met many that live day to day by these values. I have also met some that do not.

I find myself asking this question, would I want to serve (again) under another one who does not?

Here is a little tidbit....
Did you see any of the Democratic Convention??? Did you know that Kerry was upset that the troops, risking their lives over in Iraq, did not
have proper bullet proof vests and equipment? He made it known during the convention, that this was wrong!!
Maybe you didn't know this: When it was voted on earlier, to outfit the troops with better gear, KERRY voted AGAINST IT????
He didn't tell you that in his little speech, though, did he?

I thought this email would start a little friendly debate, and maybe we might open our eyes to something we might not have seen. In fact, I
learn more from listening to others, then going and doing some research, than I do from the biased, liberal media.
If you look back in History, (William Randolph Hearst/The Journal) you will see that the media helps to cause more tension
than they help to ease. Before the Spanish American war, when asked about the possible war in Cuba, Hearst said, "You supply the pictures, I'll supply the War"
This has been going on for as long as we've been a nation.

I would love to hear comments, rebuttals, yelling, screaming, anything!!! If anything I have passed on is wrong, please, point it out!!
Lets all be as educated as possible about who we are electing to lead our Nation. Please let's not allow the biased liberal media be the only way we get our facts!!
Oh yeah, and if you think I am full of it, you can tell me that too!! Smile

SGT Charlynn Roberts
Operations Enduring and Iraqi Freedom
Shuwaikh Port, Kuwait/Camp Doha/Camp Arifjan 2003-2004
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Noghri
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a reply that was forwarded to us.

From Luke Hales
Sent Thursday, August 5, 2004 9:46 am
Subject RE: Let's pretend I am a war hero...

I never served. I would have liked to, but genetics dealt me a heavy hand. I'm nearly legally blind. Nonetheless, I have incredible respect for those who protect our freedom. I've studied military history for some time time now, and I agree with everything previously stated.
It seems to me that in previous years, when the media wasn't allowed into the battle fields, or when the news was slower than real time events occured, all the people had to go on was the newsreels and the word on the street. People supported those wars. Later, when cameras delivered the images of what war really looked like (Vietnam and onward), suddenly there were issues with our involvement in global security. Whether or not we are the world's police, we do have certain values to impart. Churchill stated that democracy was the worst form of government, except for all the other ones. True enough, Democracy does have its flaws, but then, we're not decapitating civilians to make a point either. War is not a pretty thing. The media will show you that. But war, unfortunately, is a necessity on occasion. Had the U.S. not entered WW2, there is no telling who we would salute (or heil).
As for John Kerry...I can't let myself believe that this man who wavers on such important issues as our troops' safety, and numerous other issues, should be placed at the helm. There are things we know and more things we don't about his past. If we look only at his military record, it is certainly attractive. However, true leaders don't need medals to back them up, especially medals they applied for themselves, due to self-mutilation. Examine Dick Winters, EZ company Battlion XO during ETO of WW2. He acquired medals, yes, but not one of the men who served with him has a disparaging remark to give about him. Now Kerry....it's a little fishy that all but one of the officers he ran the Swift Boats with felt he was unfit for command. It's also strange that the men under him that have been interviewed are less than pleased with his performance. They say that then (as now) he has wavered on important decisions, was indecisive in battle, and that he was the only SB officer who did not complete a full year tour of duty. And this is who the media seems to want in office. Curious.
As long as celebrities dictate the governmental trend, as long as the public (especially the young people growing up in America today) are only given pieces of stories, as long as we continue to follow blindly Micheal Moore's idea of jingoism as truth, then we will as a country be led into even darker times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: