SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Milbloggers invited to IVAW's Winter Soldier
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Milbloggers invited to IVAW's Winter Soldier Reply with quote

Attention Milbloggers! http://keohane.blogspot.com/2008/01/attention-milbloggers.html

Pass this word along! IVAW (Iraq Veterans Against the War) has invited milbloggers, with preference given to those on active duty or who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan, to attend and blog from their upcoming Winter Soldier Investigation (March 13-15, Washington).
http://activedutypatriot.blogspot.com/2008/01/wanted-bloggers-especially-military.html

Army Sergeant of IVAW and I have been discussing this after I made inquiries (also see the comments) about it to IVAW.
http://keohane.blogspot.com/2008/01/wsi-2008-its-in-details.html

He offered to follow up and did so. He has my sincere appreciation for that!

From Army Sgt's statement:

"We welcome bloggers, regardless of political affiliation or stance on the war...

Preference will be given first to active duty military bloggers. Active duty military bloggers, regardless of their stance on the war, will have a seat. Active duty military bloggers unable to afford the financial burden of transportation to DC but still wishing to attend, please contact me at sgtivaw@gmail.com . It will next be given to veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, and following that, all other veterans. This is an event by military and former military, and we want to help as many of you get there as possible.”

There will, of course, be some criteria and ground rules. If you are active duty, some are waiverable."

Please read those ground rules and criteria. Some are open to a totally subjective interpretation, but do not appear to close the door to at least contact, request and negotiation.

As Scott Swett and Tim Zeigler wrote in "To Set The Record Straight", it's a new media! Pass it along.
http://www.tosettherecordstraight.com/index.php?topic=Reviews

Denis
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a sterling opportunity!

I wonder if the milbloggers might be allowed to bring a photographer/recorder/assistant with them? It's a matter of preserving criminal evidence, if nothing else.

Dismantling lies is something that the internet does very, very well.
Denis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
What a sterling opportunity!

Dismantling lies is something that the internet does very, very well.

Oh yeah! I used the Dan Rather and Scott Beauchamp examples with IVAW Sgt on that. BTW, IVAW Sgt. has been foursquare with me and done what he said he would. Don't know that we'd agree on anything other than the time of day, but he's been a straight shooter. That deserves a mention.

DenisK
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings on this Denis.

What I think you're going to see at WSII is NOT going to be the equivalent of WSI which was the "testimony gathering" phase of that operation. IVAW's "testimony gathering" is now underway behind closed doors. That "testimony" will be sliced and diced into a litany of horror-story vignettes, none rising to the level of actionable "war crimes" with sworn testimony, that might be harvested from the detritus of ANY war...and the leftist media will have a field day with it.

This planned event, like WSI and Dewey Canyon III, is designed to generate media-enticing agitprop for an ongoing anti-military, anti-Iraq war propaganda campaign at least through election '08. I'm not confident that a level of "openness" already being touted by IVAW with an invitation being made to "milbloggers" isn't, in the final analysis, more helpful to them.
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WS1 was an attack on the United States of America and its military. It was perpertrated by a bunch of commies hell bent on defeating the US in Southeast Asia. Their methods were less than honest. If anyone has doubts about that I would suggest reading the FBI files of the VVAW. It would be nice to have John Kerry's military records and his FBI files but low he refuses to release them to the public. The VVAW FBI files though have enough information in them to show what these people were about. I have heard enough from them would perfer not hearing from them what so ever.
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very distinct possibility you have, #1. Very distinct. I wondered myself a few times but have never really given it any consideration until now. It makes sense they'd want to have the preliminaries out of the way beforehand. The show of co-operation may very well be just a diversion tactic, to enable them to launch their salvo early on the morning of the 13th, securely tucked away in an elected anti-war congressional rep's office.

Is that a likely possibility?
Denis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Me#1You#10

I have mixed feelings on this Denis.

What I think you're going to see at WSII is NOT going to be the equivalent of WSI which was the "testimony gathering" phase of that operation. IVAW's "testimony gathering" is now underway behind closed doors. That "testimony" will be sliced and diced into a litany of horror-story vignettes, none rising to the level of actionable "war crimes" with sworn testimony, that might be harvested from the detritus of ANY war...and the leftist media will have a field day with it.

All true. The leftist media will of course go along, in any event. The leftist true believers are not the point.

Quote:
This planned event, like WSI and Dewey Canyon III, is designed to generate media-enticing agitprop for an ongoing anti-military, anti-Iraq war propaganda campaign at least
through election '08. I'm not confident that a level of "openness" already being touted by IVAW with an invitation being made to "milbloggers" isn't, in the final analysis, more helpful to them.

I believe in the well executed counter-punch, but to be an effective counter-punch it has to be delivered almost instantaneously with the punch it counters, while the opponent is committed and stretched and cannot change position to defend against it.

For years now media has been primarily about the impression as opposed to the details. News stories jump to the top of the heap, get their play for a day or a few, and then the world moves on. Debunking that comes well after the story might well cheer those who follow the story, but for too many, the impression will stay. Take the Haditha story for example.

The theme of rampaging Marines engaged in revenge killings, execution style, captured the world-wide media. Murtha’s “in cold blood’ cinched it. Though they claim to care for vets and soldiers, folks from IVAW were just as ready to convict those Marines of atrocities as any, before the Marines had any chance to defend themselves.

In the many months that followed, the Haditha story fell apart. While SSgt. Wuterich still faces serious charges, and his position as squad leader made that almost inevitable, any nonsense about execution style revenge rampage “in cold blood” killings has been blown apart.

That’s if you followed the story.

To many, here and abroad, Haditha has already entered forever into mythos as exactly that cold blooded atrocity. Debunking well after the fact didn’t change that much at all. The media will never give a debunked Haditha rampage the coverage it gave to, well, Murtha.

So the word Haditha is still used by jihadists, appears in AQ videos and the words of IVAW members, Democrats and all manner of anti-war types, and it conveys cold blooded atrocity.

Compare that to the Jesse MacBeth video. This “Ranger” claimed to have killed 200 civilians by his own hand. On May 21, 2006 the video went viral, helped in that by IVAW’s defacto media man Dahr Jamail, who promoted it, with of course and importantly – the Arabic text translation.

Virtually within hours bloggers were questioning it and asking the milbloggers to take a peek. BOOM! Milbloggers like Greyhawk at Mudville Gazette nailed the phony in nanoseconds, and the word was picked up fast and furiously that this was “phony” and the video was withdrawn from the site that hosted it, PeaceFilms, within days.

Think Scott Thomas Beauchamp’s stories. Once the milbloggers looked into it, TNR was totally undone, and the stories collapsed.

Think back to 2004, and the Swifties. Every time the Kerry camp tried a dodge, veterans of the same war, the same unit and even the same boat were able to almost instantaneously take it apart! Sites like this one were able to get that information out to many thousands.

There’s another reason why this one has to be debunked with an instantaneous counterpunch. The last WSI assisted the North Vietnamese communists. This one is going to be used by jihadis as a recruitment tool.

The active duty and veteran milbloggers are the key to debunking these guys. Yes, IVAW is going to try to do this "detail-lite". OTOH, most of the milbloggers I've read aren't the shy retiring types, though.

All sides will spend time trying to figure out the other side's strategies and moves. OTOH, stick to getting to the truth, and drive in on that truth, and get it out and you'll win if the truth is yours.
Denis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On IVAW's media man, Dahr Jamail:

http://keohane.blogspot.com/2008/01/dahr-jamails-other-sources-its-not-just.html
Denis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the interest of full disclosure:

IVAW didn't just leap to a newfound openness about this. They've kind of been pushed a bit the last few weeks.

Read the post and the comments that followed it. That's how this milblogger invite came about:

http://keohane.blogspot.com/2008/01/wsi-2008-its-in-details.html
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking about the things we'd have liked to have had on the scene at the time of WS - how about mp3 recorders? Super cheap, super easy to use, and with an internet connection, could be super powerful.

Upload the sound files to web space where transcriptionists and debunking teams can start transcribing and listening for the inconsistencies and omissions that will inevitably undo poseurs. Proofread and make them available in text and the blogosphere will be all over it.

You know those web pages where a photograph is deconstructed? They show how wire photos, for instance, are posed and cropped and framed in the best possible ways to support Palestinians and fan the hatred of Israel. The sites have a photograph of the photographer "working" his scene and what the second photograph shows is always very different than what photographer #1 was demonstrating.

IVAW is sure to have video shot of the goings-on, once again. How much different the story might be if there is someone there to photograph the photographer. It would be very useful to be able to see how IVAW stage-manages (and then edits!) their magnum opus.

This could be a very interesting project. In fact, I wish I lived close enough to make it one of MY projects.
Denis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the pleasant thoughts I've had the last several days is imaging the 1971 WSI with John O'Neill, George Elliot, Bob Elder, Steve Gardner, Carlton Sherwood, Ken Cordier, etc., in attendance with keyboards, wifi and a site to post to.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeppers!

And how about a second videographer on the scene back when John Fraud Kerry was manfully striding around the jungle for the benefit of his own Super 8?

Wink
Denis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
Yeppers!

And how about a second videographer on the scene back when John Fraud Kerry was manfully striding around the jungle for the benefit of his own Super 8?

Wink

Heh!
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
Yeppers!

Wink

Wait! He had a camera operator or a was it on a tripod? Just askin' triple N

Twisted Evil
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he hired a professional film artist or anything - someone was holding the camera, though.

Part of the film is really wavering around... like it used to do in the old days when a movie camera was held by someone walking backwards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: