SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bruce Springstein: will he hurt his career with pro-K tour?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dabba55
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Bruce Springstein: will he hurt his career with pro-K tour? Reply with quote

I just heard talk radio suggests that this will be a big celebrity test, i.e. will Bruce get dumped on like the Dixie Chicks did with CD's being bull-dozed, or does Bruce have political capital/street cred that makes him immune to boycotts? Please weigh in. I've never been a Springstein fan so I'm not objective.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where he has been hurt most is claiming he is non-partisan. He's clearly partisan left leaning.

Whether or not he ends up hurt will be determined by how he goes about his business. If he simply campaigns in a decent manner, he'll probably be alright. If, on the other hand, he turns into another Whoopi Goldberg, the public will react accordingly.

At least, that's how I see it.
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope a bunch of right wing entertainers go to the same cities Springsteen etc. go to, same day, make their concert tickets FREE!! And any campaigning they do to be clean and above board.

I can dream:)
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry; he'll either be preaching to the choir or booed like Linda Ronstadt. These folks are just banking on Henry Menkin's dictum:

Quote:
No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

In fact, Mikey Moore is getting rich by reading old H.L.

I should know -- one of my relatives is a Moore fan.

(Moonbat relatives: can't argue with 'em; can't kill 'em.)

(Well...you can...but the paperwork is horrendous!)

Wink
Dabba55
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think celebrities are citizens like everyone else, entitled to their opinions. What bugs me is that they're given extraordinary access to the media, unlike everyone else, to express those opinions. In my book, this puts a certain responsibility on them to know what they're talking about...and to avoid "Bush is worse than Hitler" type statements. Can they even FIND Iraq on a map, for instance? None of THEM volunteer for military service, but they sure as heck like PLAYING purple heart winners on tv. They make jack***es of themselves most of the time on substantive matters. Springsteen concerns me because he knows his audience. He's doing his tour in swing states only. I'm not so sure this is strictly preaching to the choir.
TMiller
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to like Bruce, even though I have always known he was a lib. Now this is over the line. All his crap goes to the dumpster.
rua
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Bruce who? and a touch of humor Reply with quote

I'm not sure Sprinsteen will have much of an effect. He might appeal to the late 20 early 30 something crowd, but a lot of kids today don't know who he is or maybe have heard of him but couldn't tell you any of his songs. I tested my son, who is a music lover, and he looked at me with a blank expression and said "Who?" Granted he's 8 years old, however his father and I have a wide range of music tastes so he's been exposed to pretty much everything out there. On a side note, yes this is cuteness, but I just had to share: hubby was quizzing my youngest son (6 years old) on family associations like who's your grandmother, what's mom's name, then he said "Who's your daddy?" My son grinned ear to ear and said "Toby Keith!" Laughing
rlmorel
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a Springsteen fan, but my feeling is that if someone buys a ticket to listen to him sing, then...that is what he should do. If his music is overly political in it's message and people expect that, then that is probably okay too.

Where the Dixie Chicks and others get in trouble, is when their music is non-political, and people listen to it because it has a good beat and talks about people in love or some such thing, and money-paying customers show up to hear country western music and hear a rant against something many of them support.

In that case, people are justified in their anger. It is all in what people expect.

For example, lets say you get tickets from your church group to see a comedy show. You bundle the family in the car and go to the show, and Chris Rock or Eddie Murphy walks out on stage. You expected it to be family entertainment, and you are angry.

But if you go see Bob Dylan and he rants onstage, how angry can you be?
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlmorel wrote:
[I]f you go see Bob Dylan and he rants onstage, how angry can you be?

My point about the "choir" exactly.

This is not just another Springsteen music tour; this is a Springsteen political tour. If anyone's vote were to be determined by the political leanings of one of their favorite musicians, well...

Rolling Eyes
Dabba55
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Springsteen's tour is being arranged for the sole purpose of advocating the defeat of George Bush. He's upfront about that. The Dixie Chicks will be on the bill, R.E.M., Dave Matthews, to name a few. It's like a musical pep rally. So, anyone going will already be on board the Kerry train. Nevertheless, Springsteen is touted as a more mature, soulful, politically conscious entertainer who might make swing voters think, gee, if Bruce, the Wise One, hates Bush...then maybe...
BeerGutRepublicon
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not an anti Bush tour per say. It's a simply get out and vote tour. Only when asked to they say they are anti Bush.
julsmith
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Yes, they ARE anti-Bush Reply with quote

The "Vote for Change" tour is most definitely anti-Bush, anti-Republican. Much of the proceeds will go to a group dedicated to defeating Bush, and it is sponsored by (financially funded) by MoveOn Pac, the electoral arm of MoveOn.org. Kind of like forcing your union dues to support a certain political group.
So many entertainers have played footsy with Hollywood so long that they've become brainwashed by leftists' views.
I've become much more careful about where my money goes when seeing concerts and movies, and this tour will be one I'm missing.
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What these "artist" failed to realize is that the other half of this country are made up of a conservatives. They will loose sales by those of us who are taking a stand on this election. I just don't understand how these hollywood types actually think they represent the rest of us in this country who are just average middle class American's? They are rich, spoilt and "frankly my dear I don't give a damn" what they think or who they support...I will not buy or support them with my hard earned money. I will put my money where my mouth is and if more people took that stand then maybe they would shut up and sit down!
wshhml
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMiller wrote:
I used to like Bruce, even though I have always known he was a lib. Now this is over the line. All his crap goes to the dumpster.

LOL! I've had the same problems with entertainers I've learned join in this bashing. I take the hammer to their cd's. I send to their fan club. You will never hear from many performers for Bush or Republicans because they are afraid of being blacklisted. The liberals control the media and entertainment. You do get a few brave souls, but they are usually already established. I'll take Johnny Ramone over Springsteen anyday!
GuitarJon
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play in a cover band (meaning we do not do original music) and once Pearl Jam started showing their ass I asked the band to drop one of their songs from our set list.

It's simple... my favorite entertainers are the one's that leave me wondering what they believe in. I don't care.. I don't want to know what Tom Hanks or the singer from Train or an ex member of THE Who might feel about a presidential candidate. I just want to enjoy the movie or the music.

But when Pearl Jam smashes a picture of Bush and makes awful comments during a show.. that tells me MORE than I need to know. And I retaliate by NEVER buying or acknowledging their presence again.

Someone email Michael Moore and send him the Subway Jarrod diet plan.

Have you noticed that 90% of the entertainers on the music side of this are all past their prime. Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Ozzie, Rondstandt... all of the aforementioned are WELL past their prime. And therefore the only way to get attention is to stomp your feet and cry like a baby and hope that the news will pick it up.

I say for every ONE fan you gain,, you lose TWO by admitting to your political beliefs.

Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: