SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google Shuts Down Anti-Obama Sites
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you guys need to start using open DNS, since the DNS of many ISPs have been hacked.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using that for a long long time. Worth doing.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, and here's why:

<http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080724230931.2rdnlz0a&show_article=1>

You can put the following numbers into the DNS box in the control panel where you setup internet access.

208.67.220.220 or 208.67.222.222

I use both, on separate lines, or you can separate them with a comma. HTH
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tews - You may have a persistent 3rd party cookie that is causing that. If you are able and haven't done so already, clear all cookies and temp pages. Its also a good idea to not allow 3rd party cookies at all if you can. More info at: http://www.grc.com/cookies/cookies.htm Note, this part of Steve Gibson's site is still a work in progress so there may be broken links or pages under construction.

Re; OpenDNS. Sorry, the service is NOT free if it is ad driven and uses tracking. Remember, Spyware is software that surreptitiously tracks. OpenDNS is not spyware as they tell you up front what they are doing. Yea, just like Google does but instead of just the clicks to and through one site, they snag EVERYTHING. By creating an account you even give them a name and email address to assist them in tracking.

Re; CUIL. Tried it, didn't like it (shoot, I even added it to my FireFox search engines). Results are still very limited and look like magazine articles. Strictly a personal preference, I'm more of a bullet point guy and don't need the eye candy. Now if they ever offer a listing instead, I'll reconsider it.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using open DNS for a long time, and it's never cost me a red cent. Have you tried the numbers that I posted?

Using open DNS beats having your link to say bankofamerica.com going to a fake site instead, where your info can be harvested.
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zinfella wrote:
I've been using open DNS for a long time, and it's never cost me a red cent. Have you tried the numbers that I posted?

Using open DNS beats having your link to say bankofamerica.com going to a fake site instead, where your info can be harvested.

What I meant was they are tracking the DNS searches and site hits. From that they can generate demographic statistics which are then in turn used for market/product placement. The users are not charged but they are voluntarily participating in front-end surveys - those not reliant on web site numbers. Its not just the one site you go to either. All cross-links that look up content from another site are included as their link has to be translated via, you guessed it, the same DNS server. Sort of like the old Nielsens rating boxes on steroids.

Is it bad? Not really. Any other ISP can and probably does do the same thing. OpenDNS appears completely out in the open and states clearly in their Privacy Policy that they share the information to all sorts of people ( http://www.opendns.com/privacy/ ).

As for the second half, cache poisoning is very serious and OpenDNS was just as vulnerable as any other DNS service until the patches came out. Fortunately, even the user can test his/her DNS vulnerabilities and alert their ISP to them:

see https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/services/dnsentropy

I want to be clear, OpenDNS does offer some great options and services and they do not charge the user. They do however sell the results of that usage. If your own ISP is caught filtering or you just don't trust them, this might be a viable option for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: