SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NYT: Secret order lets U.S. raid al Qaeda around the world

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: NYT: Secret order lets U.S. raid al Qaeda around the world Reply with quote

This is incredible...and the list of traitors includes purported CURRENT military and intelligence officials as well as SENIOR Bush administration policy makers. This makes the Scooter Libby allegations look laughable by comparison.

There is a cancer of anarchy and ambivalence for treason at the most critical levels in our government and SOMEONE needs to be made an example of.

My only hope is that this "leak" was no leak at all but rather some strategically released information...but the breadth in numbers of those purportedly willing to go public argues against that.

Quote:
Secret order lets U.S. raid al Qaeda around the world
By Eric Schmitt and Mark Mazzetti
New York Times
November 10, 2008

WASHINGTON: The United States military since 2004 has used broad, secret authority to carry out nearly a dozen previously undisclosed attacks against Al Qaeda and other militants in Syria, Pakistan and elsewhere, according to senior American officials.

These military raids, typically carried out by Special Operations forces, were authorized by a classified order that Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld signed in the spring of 2004 with the approval of President George W. Bush, the officials said. The secret order gave the military new authority to attack the Qaeda terrorist network anywhere in the world, and a more sweeping mandate to conduct operations in countries not at war with the United States.

<snip>

More than a half-dozen officials, including current and former military and intelligence officials as well as senior Bush administration policy makers, described details of the 2004 military order on the condition of anonymity because of its politically delicate nature.

New York Times - cont'd
arkadyfolkner
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unreal, Special Ops are one of our best weapons against terrorist operations and these fools are leaking it? More terror can be stopped with a sniper's bullet or a knife across the carotid - or even capturing these slimeballs in the dead of night than by any amount of tanks and bombs.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little wonder that a "Senior Russian Political Analyst" says, America's Superpower Era is Over
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one other possibility that I cannot discount, and it nauseates me to my core that I consider it to be totally plausible.

The NYT report of multiple sources might well be a sham to give cover to a single treasonous source. I believe they are FULLY capable of that level of journalistic corruption.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this yesterday and I was flabbergasted, and deeply saddened at seeing this reported to the World. We have a cancer, and we had better find it, and cut it out fast, if we are to survive as the USA that we all know an love.

I don't believe that this was a planned leak, and I don't have any faith in the Obama administration putting an end to it. Sad
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is ridiculous! Are our memories so short we can't even recall a national speech by the President outlining state sponsored terrorism and what the outcome could be? The logical leap is measured in milimeters.

Now, if story of the backroom agreements with nations came to light we would then have a major news item. Not too long ago the U.S. entered Syria - does anyone recall major objections by the Syrian government? QED.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since John Kerry and Jane Fonda during the Vietnam era and continuing through the present day, the act of treason has lost it's meaning.
And it's consequences if committed.
Just another indication that we are living in insane times where common sense has no bearing on reality.
How else can we explain a person with NO experience at anything being elected president.
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush should have cleared out ANYONE who wasn't TOTALLY, ABSOLUTELY loyal.

long ago...

there's a mole in there - or several

I hate to say it, but I think GW kept us TOO safe.

a great deal of people in this country have no memory
past the movie they saw last week.
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Goophy Dog alluded to, W has made many a speech stating he would take the war to the terrorists, where ever they may be....
And this does serve as a reminder of how there have been no further attacks on our homeland ....

So... couple scenarios

New guys wouldn't get the same media value out of canceling a 'secret' order ( if it stayed secret ) so they leak it ...

Current administration suspects as much, and sources leak it, to act as a reminder to the public that national security programs will be gutted ...when the order is cancelled by the new guy

?
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to expand on Kate's.

The Obama transition team has already made public their intent on seeing how many executive orders will be scratched off. In order to do that they have had to have seen them, even the classified ones. So, logic leans to a classified order whose details have now been leaked to the public relations arm (NYT).

Probably the most disturbing is this may be the trend for the next four years - our government making decisions based solely on polls and lackeys leaking information regardless of the outcome.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoophyDog wrote:
And to expand on Kate's.

The Obama transition team has already made public their intent on seeing how many executive orders will be scratched off. In order to do that they have had to have seen them, even the classified ones. So, logic leans to a classified order whose details have now been leaked to the public relations arm (NYT).

Probably the most disturbing is this may be the trend for the next four years - our government making decisions based solely on polls and lackeys leaking information regardless of the outcome.

It's not necessarily true that Obama has seen all of Bush's executive orders, since he has barely got his feet wet with the transition. But, some of those orders were public knowledge, such as no federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, etc, and Obama has his own ideas about some of this stuff. So, when there's talk about reversing some of Bush's orders, Obama has not yet been specific about which ones he will change. This sort of things is expected from administration to administration, and even moreso when we go from a Republican to Democrat administration, and vice versa. We're not likely to know much about how classified orders will be treated.
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the next terrorist attack happens and we all know it will in an Obama administration I will hold blame to every person who voted for him. Joe Biden informed the people that they would be tested...I just hope and pray it is small and not anywhere near where I am!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: