SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pelosi Knew about Waterboarding from the Start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Pelosi Knew about Waterboarding from the Start Reply with quote

Quote:
Pelosi Knew about Waterboarding from the Start
by Jed Babbin
05/07/2009

She knew from the beginning. According to a CIA memorandum summarizing briefings to Congress on the use of enhanced interrogation techniques on terrorist detainees, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Ca) knew from the very beginning that those techniques -- including waterboarding -- were being used on September 2, 2002.

According to the memo, the very first briefing listed is 9/4/02 with then Rep. Porter Goss & Pelosi. The summary of the briefing says:

“Briefing on EITs including use of EITs on Abu Zubaydah, background on authorities, and a description of the particular EITs that had been employed.”

This directly contradicts Pelosi’s story, that “we were not told that waterboarding or any of these other enhanced interrogation methods were used.”

As HUMAN EVENTS reported earlier, Pelosi - by objecting to the use of the enhanced interrogation techniques - could have stopped them but didn't.

Pelosi's misstatements were apparently intended to divert attention from her and other Democrats in Congress who knew of all the enhanced interrogation methods -- in detail -- apparently as soon as they were being used.

dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course she knew.
Let's get her under oath and see what her story is then. Fat chance of the
Commiecrats allowing that to happen though.
The complicity of the Commiecrats in the use of EITs (man I hate all these acronyms) will ensure that no investigations into these techniques will ever be forthcoming. Pelosi and other top level Commiecrats would be exposed as being as complicit in the use of these interrogation procedures as Bush and Cheney were.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot understand how waterboarding could be considered torture. Tens of thousand of US military personnel have been waterboarded while undergoing SERE training. And that includes all of the swifties. It would seem that the only people who ought to have standing to rule whether or not waterboarding can be considered torture are those who have been through it.
It's uncomfortable, it makes you panic, when it's over you are fine in 5 minutes. It isn't torture.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
I cannot understand how waterboarding could be considered torture.

Jack, it will be considered torture until if and when the leftist cabal dominating the discourse in this country decides it is no longer in their ideological best interest to consider it so.

There are NO absolute truths for this bunch. Truth is what they desire it to be...and it scares the hell outta me.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Repubs are pushing back...about darn time...

from politico
Alexander: Why not probe Congress on briefings? May 8
Quote:
During a scantly noticed exchange in a Thursday Judiciary Committee hearing, Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) asked Attorney General Eric Holder a potentially explosive question -- given the furor over Nancy Pelosi's 2002 interrogation briefing.

Alexander wanted to know if the AG would consider investigating what House and Senate members knew about torture and when they knew it. And Holder didn't exactly reject the idea.

ALEXANDER: Should you follow these facts and continue in an investigation if you’re investigating lawyers at the Department of Justice who wrote legal opinions authorizing certain interrogations, wouldn’t it also be appropriate to investigate the CIA employees or contractors or other people from intelligence agencies who asked or created the interrogation techniques or officials in the Bush Administration who approved them or what about members of Congress who were informed of them or know about them or approved them or encouraged them? Wouldn’t they also be appropriate parts of such an investigation?

HOLDER: Well there is, as has been publicly reported, an OPR inquiry into the work of the attorneys who prepared those OLC memoranda. It is not in final form yet and I have not reviewed that report. I will look at that report and make a determination as to what we want to do with it. It deals, I suspect, not only with the attorneys, but people that they interacted with, so I think we will gain some insights by reviewing that report. Our desire is not to do anything that would be perceived as political or partisan. We do want to report, to the extent that we can do that, but as I said, my responsibility is to enforce the laws of this nation and to the extent that we see violations of those laws, we will take the appropriate action.

ALEXANDER: If you’re going to investigate the lawyers whose opinion was asked about whether this is legal or not, I would assume you could also go to the people who created the techniques, the officials who approved them, and the officials in Congress who knew about them and may have encouraged them.

HOLDER: Hypothetically that might be true, I don’t know. What I want to do is look at, in a very concrete way, what that OPR report says and get a better sense from that report about what it says about the interaction of those lawyers with people in the administration and see from there whether further action is warranted.
Notice Holder had to be asked twice re the Congress, brushed them off the 1st time, it was a beauty to watch. And what's with this "hypothetical" qualifier re congress

and this is too precious.... msnbc
Republicans warn Holder on torture
Quote:
At a hearing today with Attorney General Eric Holder, Republican members of a Senate Appropriations subcommittee suggested that any potential criminal investigation into the CIA's harsh interrogation methods might not easily be contained.

Both Lamar Alexander of Tennessee and Richard Shelby of Alabama pressed Holder on the CIA's "rendition" program that moved terrorism suspects from one country to another.

Didn't that happen during the Clinton Administration?

Yes, Holder said.

"How many did you approve?" they asked.

Holder said he'd check the record.

The clear suggestion was, if any criminal investigation is opened, Republicans would push to get it expanded beyond events during the Bush administration. Alexander, for example, asked several times whether members of Congress, who were told about the interrogation methods, should also be investigated.

As for a potential investigation of the lawyers who wrote the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel opinions approving harsh interrogation methods, Holder said -- as he has several times now -- that he remains skeptical.

"We're not trying to do anything that would be perceived as partisan,” he said. “We want to move forward to the extent we can."

Today's hearing also provided another avenue for members of Congress to tell the Obama administration they're very worried about bringing Guantanamo Bay detainees into the U.S., where they might be released. Holder said no one who was dangerous or a threat to the community would be released anywhere in the world.
hmm so what did Clinton use those rendition sites for.....maybe some of those those uhoh ""EITs" ? Shocked
Is Holder going to have to investigate himself...
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Fidel, I'll pardon some of these FALN hombres for a couple of cases of those "Personal boxes".....
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't discredit Holder's savvy. In his response at the hearing he stated very carefully:

Quote:

HOLDER: (sic the OPR report) ...what it says about the interaction of those lawyers with people in the administration and see from there whether further action is warranted.

He said that twice in answering the question. The problem is, it wasn't the lawyers who briefed the senate and congress and the actual briefers are not considered part of the administration.

So, instead of a simple expansion of the current investigation, it will have to be a whole new one - I'm anticipating quite a bit of dirt dumped into the stream to muddy the waters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: