SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Hackers target Adobe Acrobat Reader, Flash"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: "Hackers target Adobe Acrobat Reader, Flash" Reply with quote

I wouldn't normally post items of this nature but I recently spent 2 days cleaning my nephew's laptop which (I think) picked up a nasty trojan via an Adobe Reader exploit.

As I assume that the majority of forum members utilize both the Adobe Reader and and Adobe "Flash", I thought I'd pass this along as a word to the wise.

I dunno what the problem is with Adobe...but security vulnerabilities seem to have become the rule as opposed to the exception Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Hackers target Adobe Acrobat Reader, Flash
By Christy Hendricks
Posted: Jul 29, 2009 5:42 PM EDT
Updated: Jul 29, 2009 5:49 PM EDT

Adobe posted a security warning for anyone using Adobe on their computer.

Hackers can exploit a flaw in the latest versions of the Flash video player and Acrobat Reader.

Adobe posted a warning last week of what they call a "critical vunerability" that could cause a crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of your computer.

That's for anyone using the Flash Player (v9.0.159.0 and v10.0.22.87) for Windows, Macintosh and Linux operating systems and Adobe Reader and Acrobat v9.1.2 for Windows, Macintosh and UNIX.

This means playing flash videos or opening up a PDF file that's corrupted could put your computer at risk.

Adobe says it's working on a patch that should be available Thursday, July 30th for the Flash player and Friday, July 31st for Adobe Reader.

In the meantime, make sure your antivirus software is up to date. Don't click on videos or pdf files that come from an untrusted site.

Check Adobe's security bulletins to download the patch when it's available.

KFVS News
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the fixed Mac version this morning.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up #1.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyi, for those with a Windows machine (dunno 'bout the others)

you can simply block the infected code 'authplay.dll' with your firewall software. you can find it in your c:\\program files\adobe\reader directory

of course 'bout then your adobe stuff won't fly.
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad my computer is too old for the latest Adobe Flash.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: