SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mark Steyn: It'll be in Bartlett's by next week

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Mark Steyn: It'll be in Bartlett's by next week Reply with quote

The evolution of The New York Times and too many of its MSM peers from "journalism" to left-wing propagandizing became a given long ago. One would assume, however, that its second echelon distributors (at least from a sense of "journalistic" self-preservation) might be a bit more circumspect in their fact-checking of The New York Times et al before presuming to take on the likes of Mark Steyn.

Apparently not so. Is there a journalistic equivalent for slitting one's own credibility wrist?

Quote:
Sunday, September 06, 2009

----------------------------------------------------

It'll be in Bartlett's by next week [Mark Steyn]

Speaking of The New York Times, Jonah, in my weekend column I noted my rare appearance in its august pages (well, okay, September pages):
    Mark Steyn, a Canadian author and political commentator, speaking on the Rush Limbaugh show on Wednesday, accused Mr. Obama of trying to create a cult of personality, comparing him to Saddam Hussein and Kim Jong Il, the North Korean leader.
Tim Blair, the great Australian wag, has a round-up of those hardworking types at other publications whose concept of journalism begins and ends with seeing what's in The New York Times and passing it on. Tim missed a few, like The Sacramento Bee:
    On Wednesday, Canadian-born writer Mark Steyn said on Rush Limbaugh's nationally broadcast radio show that Obama's ambitions to create a "cult of personality" were similar to those of North Korean dictator Kim Jong Il or former Iraqi strongman Saddam Hussein.
And The Las Vegas Sun:
    The New York Times quoted Mark Steyn, filling in for conservative radio demagogue Rush Limbaugh, as saying Obama was trying to create a cult of personality like Saddam Hussein or North Korea’s Kim Jong Il.
"Quoted", eh? Actually, if you read the Times piece - by two reporters, no less - the striking feature is that there's no direct quote, is there? Not to worry. It's even been picked up overseas. Lara Marlowe in Ireland's newspaper of record, The Irish Times:
    First prize for lunacy goes to Canadian commentator Mark Steyn, who accuses Obama of trying to establish a “personality cult” like Saddam Hussein or North Korean leader Kim Jong-il.
And first prize for laziness goes to Irish commentator Lara Marlowe. For the record, here's the only thing I actually said about Kim and Saddam on Wednesday's Rush show:
    Obviously we’re not talking about the cult of personality on the kind of Saddam Hussein/Kim Jong-Il scale.
It shouldn't be that difficult for Ms Marlowe and the stenographers of The Las Vegas Sun, Chicago Tibune et al. The Times helpfully enclosed a link to George Soros' website and the relevant bit of audio lasts all of 54 seconds, so it wouldn't cut unduly into Ms Marlowe's and Tim Wiegand's valuable time for original research.

As I understand it, what we're supposed to miss about US newspapers will be the "layers of fact-checking" and rigorous editing. In reality, a significant percentage of American newspapering is little more than provincial wannabes doing New York Times karaoke - which might have made more sense before young Sulzberger drove his paper to junk stock and into the arms of its unlikely Mexican benefactor.

As for my former colleague in Dublin, too many overseas "bureaus" in Washington boil down to paying someone to relocate halfway round the world, sit in an office at the National Press Building and transcribe The New York Times and Wolf Blitzer's "Situation Room" all day long. An expensive business model.

Still, look on the bright side: My non-quote got more MSM coverage than Van Jones! Gotta know your priorities

The Corner

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing.
Why print and report the truth when they can just make it say whatever they want to fit their agenda.
Like I've hung a new moniker on the Democratic Party, at least until they take it back from George Soros, they are now the Commiecrat Party....the 'New' media who outright lie to twist the truth need to have a new name.
Instead of 'News' media, how about 'Propaganda Machines'.
four-niner delta
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty,

How about Pravda? It's a closer fit.
Mobile Riverine Force
A Co. 3/60 9th INF DIV
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

four-niner delta wrote:
Dusty,

Works for me.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Actually, the stories I've seen from Pravda in the last few years are more factual than the New York Slimes.
The world has become very strange.

Luckily, so have I. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: